Re: [stilley] TIME FRAME OF STILLEY MIGRATION

  • Rick Stilley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      I was born and raised in West Frankfort.

      Rick
      From: "stilley8962" <stilley@gte. net>
      To: stilley@yahoogroups .com
      Subject: [stilley] TIME FRAME OF STILLEY MIGRATION
      Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:50:06 -0000

      I watched an interesting show last night entitled "The Little Ice
      Age." It was a fascinating study of how the climate suddenly turned
      much colder between the years of 1550 and 1850. I won't bore you with
      the details but I will say the climate change caused mass famine
      throughout Northern Europe. The impact in America was pretty
      devastating as well. 1816 is known in the US as the year without a summer.

      I was curious as to when the Stilley's migrated from point to point
      and compared some of the migration dates to The Little Ice Age and it
      matches all too well.

      I don't think it matters whether you believe the Stilleys migrated
      from Sweden or Ireland, both were similarly impacted and the move
      south to North Carolina and west into Kentucky, Illinois, and beyond
      were all prior to 1850. Obviously, not every one moved but I couldn't
      help but wonder if those that did make the move did so because they
      were looking for a warmer climate.

      Just a thought I wanted to share. Perhaps it will help in someone's
      research.

      Rick Stilley