Fort Hall Festival Hand Games Open to all

  • tazzypeyope2001
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
      Letter in the Sho-Ban News July 17, 2008
      Stick game player has concern he's been "Uninvited" to the Sho-Ban
      Festival..
      It has been recently come to my attention that I have been univited
      to participate in all functions assocated with the stick game segment
      of the 2008 Sho-Ban Festival.
      As a result, I am forced to write this statement in an effort to
      publicly address this issue, as I have absolutely nothing to hide and
      that I feel I have been unfairly made the target of an individual's
      personal vendetta.The ddecision to uninvite me as a participant was
      done so without my knowledge. I was unaware that this was even being
      considered by the 2008 fetsival/stick game committee. This same
      committee recently sought and received the ultimate approval to
      uninvite me from the Sho-Ban Council.I was never given the
      opportunity to present my facts or openly discuss my situation with
      the committee oor the tribal council prior to either of them making
      their unjust decision. What I find most disturbing about this
      situationis that the Sho-Ban tribal council made a hasty decision to
      exclude me as a participant, solely under the advice of a certain
      tribal member, whom also happens to be a member of the 2008
      festival/stick game committee. This member also has a
      personal,extreme dislike for me. At the very least, the council
      should have made as effort to contact me or my family and allow me
      the opportunity to present my side of this bizarre story before
      making such am unfair decision. I am convinced that this particular
      individual's intense dislike of me is to such an extent that
      outrageous dishonesty and blatant defamation of me character was used
      to assist her in achieving her personal ambition of excluding me from
      participating in the festival stick games this year. I personally
      feel that the Sho-Ban tribal coucil should remain neutral and
      unbiased especially when it comes to dis-inviting individuals from
      traditional tribal celebrations, particularly when it is rooted
      hostile untruths and based upon an obvious personal grudge.
      Furthermore, they should take steps to discourage this type of
      behavior in the future. The Council, as representatives of the Sho-
      Ban people, has stated publicly that, "all are welcome to attend the
      festival",yet,they turned me away unfairly this year because of
      listening to and believing hateful, untrue gossip. I have played
      stick game at the festival with my parents as a child and have
      enjoyed many years playing as an adult and with my family. The
      festival has always been a favorite of my family and we enjoy seeing
      many friends family members while attending. Lastly, my family and I
      are still trying to comprehend the hatered that drives one individual
      into creating such chaos. What should concern many Sho-Ban tribal
      members who hold the fest ival in such high regard as I do and who
      are equally troubled in reading my statement is that this same
      individual, as a member of the 2008 festival/stick game committee, is
      also considered to be an ambassador of the Sho-Ban Festival to all of
      Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
      celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical duty
      to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and fairly.
      I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
      indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members of
      this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
      defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity to
      come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival entertainment
      committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
      determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's event's
      Respectfully Your's,
      Bobb George
    • vintonh_420
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
        I hope the Tribal Council hears Bobby out and is allowed to attend
        this year! I would like to say that we, my family and I attend
        annually as many of you do, but in light of this recent decision that
        was made I am seriously thinking of not going this year. We enjoy
        making the trip every year, but this is getting out of hand! Yeah, I
        know, no biggie, but I have to stand by the fact that it's wrong to
        do this to a person that we all know and bet behind as who has made
        all of us a dollar. Thanks Bobby! I know for a fact the Bobby LOVES
        to play just much as anyone of us. I don't know if anyone has really
        looked at the fact that "the games" are dying out all over, but this
        kind of negativty is going to discourage others even more. I would
        think by promoting family participation in our TRADITIONS would be
        commended and supported! GOOD LUCK BOBBY!
        Vinton Hawley
        Pyramid Lake Nevada

        --- In stickgame@yahoogroups.com, "tazzypeyope2001" <tazzy@...> wrote:

> [...]
        is
        > also considered to be an ambassador of the Sho-Ban Festival to all
        of
        > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
        > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
        duty
        > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
        fairly.
        > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
        > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members of
        > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
        > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
        > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival entertainment
        > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
        > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

      • Wanda Matt
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
          Can't believe this is happening again.......why do people do
          this.......my father taught me to play since I was five years old...and
          never I mean never has anyone ever been banned from playing
          stickgame.......there was cheathers then and they knew who they were but
          no one....no one was kicked out.........im sick of people downing my
          friend.......bob george.......if you don't want to play him then
          don't....its sad that these few people have to be this way....bob I will
          always support you and I know for a fact that we didn't cheat.....we
          were kicked out just because the other team was drunk......and no one
          kicked them out......but what goes rount comes around......some day they
          will have to pay for what they did.......just believe the Indian
          way.......im sorry that our tribe does the same thing,,,,,,,these people
          aren't stickgame players....... Just comlainers......real stickgame
          players would not even pay attention too the gossip........im sorry bob
          for the untrue stories people start..........your friend wanda

          ________________________________

          --- In stickgame@yahoogroups.com <mailto:stickgame%40yahoogroups.com> ,
> [...]
          is
          > also considered to be an ambassador of the Sho-Ban Festival to all
          of
          > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
          > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
          duty
          > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
          fairly.
          > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
          > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members of
          > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
          > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
          > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival entertainment
          > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
          > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

        • ahdzaah
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
            Alot of my elders here and the surrounding tribes are watching this
            action as it unfolds, this could be a very bad precident for
            handgame. The Sho-Ban Tribal Council needs to recind this unjust and
            un-traditional decision. Fort Hall is one of our regions leaders and
            should stand for traditional values, truth and honor. I hope they do
            the right thing and reverse their decision.

            Bobb George should not be punished for being an exellent player.

            Thats all i have to say, Thank you for your time,

            Erick Mason
            Timbisha Shoshone Tribe

            wrote:

> [...]
            of
            > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
            > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
            duty
            > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
            fairly.
            > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
            > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members
            of
            > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
            > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
            > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival
            entertainment
            > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
            > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

          • Bonnie
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
              Wow, I haven't ever heard of a Whole Tribal Council worry about or politically care about who comes to play. Do they really have the time to go through all that process, to have discussions, vote taking, typing up the order and signatures.   Hmmm
              Maybe someone should look into their business practices and if they are being paid appropriately if they can waste the Tribes time and resources on such infantile and poor sportsmanship ventures.  Wah Wah,,Bobby you win too much, you can't come and play here anymore...duhhh how embarassing for the Tribe and Committee to not be able to see the insanity  and childishness.  Sometimes you are Bug and sometimes you are the windshield...it's just a really really fun game.  The perks is the friends you get to see, and possibly win some money too...Keep this situation in perspective...Bobby is a good player, why does that fact scare some people.  It's always fun to play with the experienced players...
              Well it's their ball game, be we don't have play.  Why doesn't everyone, who really thinks this is outragous behavior, protest their little Festival...there are other place to play.  Where EVERYONE is welcome.
              Obviously, this one person has a real problem.
              Hey Bobby, you must weight about 90 lbs.  as much as you run around in her head....LOL
              Don't get caught up  in their garbage, there a lot of supporters out there on your side.

              wrote:

> [...]
              of
              > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
              > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
              duty
              > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
              fairly.
              > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
              > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members
              of
              > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
              > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
              > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival
              entertainment
              > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
              > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

            • Wanda Matt
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                Yes he is supported..........thats what everyone should do....not go to
                these tournaments..........

                ________________________________

                From: ahdzaah <no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com> >
                To: stickgame@yahoogroups.com <mailto:stickgame%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 3:11 PM

                wrote:

> [...]
                of
                > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
                > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
                duty
                > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
                fairly.
                > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
                > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members
                of
                > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
                > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
                > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival
                entertainment
                > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
                > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

              • Bonnie
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                  I was just thinking, so Bobby doesn't play this year at their games (festival).  Will the winning team or the two top teams be asked not to come back next year, because they were the winners this year????  Makes you wonder what this behavior shows our kids...??  It's hard enough out there in this world, like it is, the adults have so much positive things to teach and show their youth.  These immature actions, over what is a fun fun game, is just emabrassing. And what are the parents and elders to say about this stuff happening, besides rolling their eyes and shaking their heads...

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  From: ahdzaah <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com
                  <mailto:no_reply% 40yahoogroups. com> >
                  To: stickgame@yahoogrou ps.com <mailto:stickgame% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 3:11 PM

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  of
                  > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
                  > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
                  duty
                  > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
                  fairly.
                  > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
                  > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members
                  of
                  > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
                  > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the opportunity
                  > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival
                  entertainment
                  > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
                  > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

                • tazzypeyope2001
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
                    Well i found out that the tribal council left it up to the festival
                    committee to take care of what happens to bobb. But I think those
                    people should have talked with the Casino hand game committee about
                    what happen during their tournament not going to the festival committee
                    about it.
                    Also if kids are going to piont big games they should know how to lose
                    like adults. This is what started the whole thing on sunday in fort
                    hall. Its to bad that alot of old time players didnt tell the younger
                    people that "its just a game, you win some and you lose some" you can't
                    win every game.
                    I will also not be going to play in the tournament for "Velda McGill
                    Fisher Wahtomy" I was hopping to see alot of old friends there but if
                    there not coming over then all just work all weekend maybe play on
                    sunday.
                    Hope to see everyone buring the Casino's tournament in May, 2009
                  • yellow_tail_feathers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
                      --- In stickgame@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda Matt" <wmatt@...> wrote:

                      > Yes he is supported..........thats what everyone should do....not
                      go to
                      > these tournaments..........
                      >
                      > Has anyone ever thought about how Bobby is not wanted in most
                      places...accused..caught cheating, lmao...well i think those are good
                      reasons not to have him at stickgames...if greed and cheating go hand
                      in hand,who's going to have "FUN".

                      > ________________________________

                      On
> [...]
                      all
                      > of
                      > > Indian country and the non-Indian community that attends this
                      > > celebation, As a representative, this person also has an ethical
                      > duty
                      > > to morally represent the tribe and run the games honestly and
                      > fairly.
                      > > I question the integrity, abuse of power and personal agenda this
                      > > indiviual has chosen to exibit thus far and likewise, as members
                      > of
                      > > this tribe so shouold many of you. I beliave the most important
                      > > defense I have is the "truth" and I graciously ask the
                      opportunity
                      > > come before the Sho-Ban council and the 2008 festival
                      > entertainment
                      > > committee so they can hear the truth and then make a factual
                      > > determintaiom if they still want to uninvite me to this year's

                    • tazzypeyope2001
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008
                        Sho-Ban News August 5,2008
                        Hand Game player wants to see open kindness & fairness tournament..
                        I have something to say, about the Hand Game Committee reserves the
                        right to refuse participation to the FORT HALL HAND GAME TOURNAMENT
                        this year.I read, that someone had been refused to participate. I
                        feel, the cartain person has the right to know what unacceptable
                        wrong or crime has been committed to be denied participation.This
                        would be accepable,if there was reason. What was the reason?
                        I have been coming to FORT HALL FESTIVAL since I was a child, now I
                        am considered an elder. Win or lose, my family and other outer
                        staters have enjoyed the caming, meeting, greeting new, and old
                        familiar faces. Staying up all night, playing hand game and enjoying
                        the weekend.
                        In our Shoshone culture, hand game is a social event shared with
                        Nevada, Utah and Wyoming relations. The hand game, nowadays, include
                        high winnings, bringing in competitors, from different states and
                        Canada.I must admit, there are teams who are very good at this. There
                        is always someone, who is very keen at knowing where to piont and
                        hide. People win, along with them. They all have their own style in
                        songs and games. This is very favorable to watch.
                        I may, add, about those, who win almost always, should there be a
                        witch-hunt? Is there suck a thing? Also, every year, we have
                        tolerated, those who are belligerent and insult people, should they
                        be refused to play any games? They should be, for being disrespectful
                        to people. This year, because of the dicision, people, who, we hand
                        game with, will be missed, friends, and families, who come every year
                        to be part of this festival will not be here. Will there be others?
                        Next year, will someone else be refused participation because they
                        play well, won the tournament and known to be competitive.
                        I would like to see, open-kindness and fairness from the Hand Game
                        Committee. This part of the Shoshone culture is important part of our
                        social gatherings. Hand Game is a challenge for players and should
                        not exclude competitors so that there be a Friend or family take in
                        the pot. Hopefully, next year no one will be refused to participatein
                        this well publicized hand game tournament.
                        Respectfully,
                        Margene Bullcreek
                        Skull Vally, Utah