Re: Joe from Hamburg

  • miltone@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2008
      In a message dated 8/8/08 11:10:01, b.stern13@... writes:

      > > Milt - thanks for the advice.  By the way Milton was my father's
      > name.  I have more information now on my family.  My grandfather,
      > Joseph Michael Stern came to the US in May, 1889, on board the SS
      > Columbia and entered the country at Port of New York.  He was born
      > and raised in Hamburg, Germany, and naturalized in Philadelphia, PA
      > on 1-JUN-1903.  His parents names were Meyer Stern and Sarah Fromm.
      >
      > From the 1900 US census I found out the following: He married Sonnie
      > Stern (no maiden name, born JUL-1862), birthplace Germany; Sonnie's
      > mother, Ernesine (I believe it to be Ernestine), was living with
      > them  born in Germany in 1849.
      >
      > In the 1910 census: they had one child, Frieda, born in Philadelphia
      > PA in AUG-1899.  Also living with the family was the sister-in-law
      > Betty Ngel, listed as being single, born in Germany in 1876 and
      > immigrating to the US in 1891.
      >
      > Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the
      > help.
      >
      > Regards, Barry Stern
      > >
      > Although some of the above names are in my family I recognize none of the
      combos. My STERN family is not associated with cigars that I know of. My
      STERNS were only one of many in Phila. My Davidow branch was involved in cigars.
      Some Botwinicks worked with Bayuk.

      To obtain a 1903 federal natur email the national archives in Phila and
      request a free index lookup

      M E Botwinick
      Philadelphia
      http://hometown.aol.com/botwinick/