Re: [STERN] Joseph Michael Stern from Hamburg

  • b.stern13
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2008
      --- In sternsurname@yahoogroups.com, miltone@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 6/10/08 16:48:38, b.stern13@... writes:
      >

      > > I am a new member and am looking for any information on the
      family of
      > > my grandfather.  He emigrated to the US and was naturalized on 6-
      1-1901
      > > which I believe means he came here on or before June, 1896.  He
      entered
      > > the country at Philadelphia, PA.  His father owned a cigar
      factory in
      > > Hamburg.  He had several brothers and sisters some of whom came
      to the
      > > US and others went to Argentina.  Any information would be
      > > appreciated.  Regards, Barry
      > >

      > Barry, if you provided names it might make it easier to recognize
      people. It
      > is easy to obtain a copy of the natur. in Phila. LDS just
      placed Phila.
      > marr and death indexes on line[partial].
      >
      > miltb
      > phila.
      >

      > M E Botwinick
      > Philadelphia
      > http://hometown.aol.com/botwinick/
      >

      > Milt - thanks for the advice. By the way Milton was my father's
      name. I have more information now on my family. My grandfather,
      Joseph Michael Stern came to the US in May, 1889, on board the SS
      Columbia and entered the country at Port of New York. He was born
      and raised in Hamburg, Germany, and naturalized in Philadelphia, PA
      on 1-JUN-1903. His parents names were Meyer Stern and Sarah Fromm.

      From the 1900 US census I found out the following: He married Sonnie
      Stern (no maiden name, born JUL-1862), birthplace Germany; Sonnie's
      mother, Ernesine (I believe it to be Ernestine), was living with
      them born in Germany in 1849.

      In the 1910 census: they had one child, Frieda, born in Philadelphia
      PA in AUG-1899. Also living with the family was the sister-in-law
      Betty Ngel, listed as being single, born in Germany in 1876 and
      immigrating to the US in 1891.

      Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the
      help.

      Regards, Barry Stern