Joseph Michael Stern from Hamburg

  • b.stern13
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10 12:23 PM
      I am a new member and am looking for any information on the family of
      my grandfather. He emigrated to the US and was naturalized on 6-1-1901
      which I believe means he came here on or before June, 1896. He entered
      the country at Philadelphia, PA. His father owned a cigar factory in
      Hamburg. He had several brothers and sisters some of whom came to the
      US and others went to Argentina. Any information would be
      appreciated. Regards, Barry
    • miltone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10 2:39 PM
        In a message dated 6/10/08 16:48:38, b.stern13@... writes:

        > I am a new member and am looking for any information on the family of
        > my grandfather.  He emigrated to the US and was naturalized on 6-1-1901
        > which I believe means he came here on or before June, 1896.  He entered
        > the country at Philadelphia, PA.  His father owned a cigar factory in
        > Hamburg.  He had several brothers and sisters some of whom came to the
        > US and others went to Argentina.  Any information would be
        > appreciated.  Regards, Barry

        Barry, if you provided names it might make it easier to recognize people. It
        is easy to obtain a copy of the natur. in Phila. LDS just placed Phila.
        marr and death indexes on line[partial].

        miltb
        phila.

        M E Botwinick
        Philadelphia
        http://hometown.aol.com/botwinick/

      • b.stern13
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2008
          --- In sternsurname@yahoogroups.com, miltone@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 6/10/08 16:48:38, b.stern13@... writes:
          >

          > > I am a new member and am looking for any information on the
          family of
          > > my grandfather.  He emigrated to the US and was naturalized on 6-
          1-1901
          > > which I believe means he came here on or before June, 1896.  He
          entered
          > > the country at Philadelphia, PA.  His father owned a cigar
          factory in
          > > Hamburg.  He had several brothers and sisters some of whom came
          to the
          > > US and others went to Argentina.  Any information would be
          > > appreciated.  Regards, Barry
          > >

          > Barry, if you provided names it might make it easier to recognize
          people. It
          > is easy to obtain a copy of the natur. in Phila. LDS just
          placed Phila.
          > marr and death indexes on line[partial].
          >
          > miltb
          > phila.
          >

          > M E Botwinick
          > Philadelphia
          > http://hometown.aol.com/botwinick/
          >

          > Milt - thanks for the advice. By the way Milton was my father's
          name. I have more information now on my family. My grandfather,
          Joseph Michael Stern came to the US in May, 1889, on board the SS
          Columbia and entered the country at Port of New York. He was born
          and raised in Hamburg, Germany, and naturalized in Philadelphia, PA
          on 1-JUN-1903. His parents names were Meyer Stern and Sarah Fromm.

          From the 1900 US census I found out the following: He married Sonnie
          Stern (no maiden name, born JUL-1862), birthplace Germany; Sonnie's
          mother, Ernesine (I believe it to be Ernestine), was living with
          them born in Germany in 1849.

          In the 1910 census: they had one child, Frieda, born in Philadelphia
          PA in AUG-1899. Also living with the family was the sister-in-law
          Betty Ngel, listed as being single, born in Germany in 1876 and
          immigrating to the US in 1891.

          Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the
          help.

          Regards, Barry Stern