Re: Joseph and Zisel Stern in Chicago

  • Milton E Botwinick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In sternsurname@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <iguana7slp@...> wrote:

      I have no idea who Zisel Stern was, so I got her death
      > certificate. She died in 1939 and was born about 1888 in Slavita,
      Russia. She was married to Joseph Stern, who died before her. I don't
      know who he is either, but since Zisel was buried so close I have to
      assume she was related somehow.

      > Is anyone familiar with Joseph and Zisel? I can't find anything
      about them on ancestry.

      00000000000000000000000000

      There is a Joe Stern living with some of my Chicago relatives. I dont
      know who he is or who he married. This is some of the 18xx chicago
      city directory listings for him and my relatives.

      >72 Joseph, ins. agt., r 219 4th av.
      73 Manchan, notary public 219 4th ave
      74-75 Menochem Joseph, ins. solicitor, r 219 4th av.
      75-76 Menochem J. notary, 381 S. Jefferson
      76-77 Menochem J. notary, board, 381 S. Jefferson
      76-77 Jose h ins. agt. board, 381 S. Jefferson
      77-78 Menochem J. notary, board, 377 S. Jefferson
      77-78 Jose h ins. agt. board, 377 S. Jefferson
      79 Menochem J. liquors, board, 4117 S Halsted
      81 Joseph M, furniture, 390 State, h 150 4th av.
      81 Menochem J.[Bernstein & Stern], 390 State, h 150 4th av.
      80 Menochem J, saloon, 381 S. Jefferson
    • Milton E Botwinick
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
        After staring at this list for a while another possibility hit me.
        My relative was named Menachem Joseph STERN. Perhaps he couldnt
        commit or the canvasser screwed up. Perhaps he switched from Joseph
        to Menachem and or used both names at the same time.

        This guy was from Europe and came ashore in 1870's? This is probably
        the only Menachem listing in the country at this time;maybe an odd
        Hebrew name was too much. Then again he was a notary so he must have
        known English.

        oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

        > There is a Joe Stern living with some of my Chicago relatives. I
        dont know who he is or who he married. This is out of the 18xx