RE: [STERN] Sterns in Chicago

  • Anthony Stern
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2007
      Interesting! I have been hunting a Jacob Stern who had a factory in Chicago and who is said to have defied the Mafia in the 20's. Came from Poland tho' so unlikely to be related!

      Regards, Tony Stern

      To: sternsurname@yahoogroups.comFrom: iguana7slp@...: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:54:45 +0000Subject: [STERN] Sterns in Chicago

      Hi. I just joined the list and am hoping someone can provide some help learning more about my great great grandfather. His name was Aron Stern, and he was a rabbi in Chicago (North Wood Street). He was originally Hungarian, I believe, although a couple records say German. He immigrated to Chicago around 1884 with his wife Esther (Gross) and children Amalia (1875), Jerome (1877), Sam (1879) and Max (1881). They had daughters Mary (1884 in Michigan) and Rose (1886 in Chicago). Aron died in 1914.I believe he became a rabbi while he was in Chicago, not in the old country. But I have been unable to find out where exactly he was from, and I have not been able to trace his descendents to anyone still living.Does anyone have any suggestions for learning more about his history, or current family members?Thanks!Sheri PragerCalifornia

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2007
        I have some documents for an Aaron Stern who died in Chicago in 1929. He is
        not my Aaron Stern, but if he belongs to any of you I would be happy to send
        you the documents. They are will and probate documents. His executors were
        his children, Alfred Stern and Carolyn Stern Dreyfus.

        Sheri Prager
        California

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2007
          My great great grandmother, Esther Stern, was buried in Congregation
          Austrian-Galician in Forest Park Cemetery in Chicago. Very close to her was
          buried Zisel Stern. I have no idea who Zisel Stern was, so I got her death
          certificate. She died in 1939 and was born about 1888 in Slavita, Russia.
          She was married to Joseph Stern, who died before her. I don't know who he
          is either, but since Zisel was buried so close I have to assume she was
          related somehow.

          Is anyone familiar with Joseph and Zisel? I can't find anything about them
          on ancestry.

          Thanks!

          Sheri Prager
          California

        • Milton E Botwinick
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
            --- In sternsurname@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <iguana7slp@...> wrote:

            > I have some documents for an Aaron Stern who died in Chicago in
            1929. He is not my Aaron Stern, but if he belongs to any of you I
            would be happy to send you the documents.

            00000000000000000000

            I just got some new documents on my Aaron STERN born in 1830 Kandava
            Latvia died in 1904 Wash. DC. This guy is interesting to me because
            he is a civil war vet who spent his life in US government employ.

            New info is that he naturalized in St. Louis MO in 1863.
          • Milton E Botwinick
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
              --- In sternsurname@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <iguana7slp@...> wrote:

              I have no idea who Zisel Stern was, so I got her death
              > certificate. She died in 1939 and was born about 1888 in Slavita,
              Russia. She was married to Joseph Stern, who died before her. I don't
              know who he is either, but since Zisel was buried so close I have to
              assume she was related somehow.

              > Is anyone familiar with Joseph and Zisel? I can't find anything
              about them on ancestry.

              00000000000000000000000000

              There is a Joe Stern living with some of my Chicago relatives. I dont
              know who he is or who he married. This is some of the 18xx chicago
              city directory listings for him and my relatives.

              >72 Joseph, ins. agt., r 219 4th av.
              73 Manchan, notary public 219 4th ave
              74-75 Menochem Joseph, ins. solicitor, r 219 4th av.
              75-76 Menochem J. notary, 381 S. Jefferson
              76-77 Menochem J. notary, board, 381 S. Jefferson
              76-77 Jose h ins. agt. board, 381 S. Jefferson
              77-78 Menochem J. notary, board, 377 S. Jefferson
              77-78 Jose h ins. agt. board, 377 S. Jefferson
              79 Menochem J. liquors, board, 4117 S Halsted
              81 Joseph M, furniture, 390 State, h 150 4th av.
              81 Menochem J.[Bernstein & Stern], 390 State, h 150 4th av.
              80 Menochem J, saloon, 381 S. Jefferson
            • Milton E Botwinick
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
                After staring at this list for a while another possibility hit me.
                My relative was named Menachem Joseph STERN. Perhaps he couldnt
                commit or the canvasser screwed up. Perhaps he switched from Joseph
                to Menachem and or used both names at the same time.

                This guy was from Europe and came ashore in 1870's? This is probably
                the only Menachem listing in the country at this time;maybe an odd
                Hebrew name was too much. Then again he was a notary so he must have
                known English.

                oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

                > There is a Joe Stern living with some of my Chicago relatives. I
                dont know who he is or who he married. This is out of the 18xx