SZTERN b. Tchernavicz <~1880, lived Wysokie Lit.; immigrated to NY 1910

  • Arielle K. Masters
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      GGF Pinchas SZTERN b. ~1880 Tchernavicz, Poland (now Chernovtsky,
      Ukraine). Tailor. Immigrated to NY 1910 with a friend named Abe. In
      NY, became Philip STERN; d. 1955; buried in Beth David on LI.

      His wife/my GGM Rachel/Rachela WINOGRAD b. Wysokie-Litovsk (now
      Vysokoye, BEL); married Pinchas SZTERN and they remained in
      Wysokie-Litovsk, where my GM Fejgel/Feygel SZTERN was born. Rachel and
      my GM arrived in NY from Wysokie-Lit. in 1921 and GM went by the name
      Fannie STERN soon afterward. Rachel had one brother, a teacher and
      hunchback named Israel WINOGRAD (m. Malka), who did not immigrate from
      Wysokie-Litovsk AFAIK. We last had news of Israel and Malka ca. 1938.

      Pinchas had two brothers, Samuel and Nuchim. In NY the latter became
      Sam STEIN (m. Lena SITRIN; three children) and Nathan STEIN (m. ?;
      daughter ?; son Jerome).

      Pinchas, Samuel, and Nuchim's parents were Chasha/Rose/Jessie and
      "Shraga Feivel"/Abraham SZTERN or STERN. My GGGF Shraga Feivel SZTERN
      or STERN came to the U.S. late in life and lived with Pinchas' brother
      Sam and Sam's wife Lena for a while. He died in NY sometime after 1910.
      Don't think his wife came over. Shraga Feivel/Abraham SZTERN/STERN was
      a junkman (in the old country, I'm guessing) and had at least one
      brother. We think the brother's wife's name was Rose. Shraga
      Feivel/Abraham and his brother were probably born ca. 1850-1864.

      If you know more about my GGGparents, Shraga Feivel and Chasha/Jessie or
      other of their relatives, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

      --
      Arielle Masters
      Oak Hill, NoVA, USA