Re: [Stern] STERN family of Bingen, Soest and Frankfurt am Main

  • dstern165@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2001
      Alice,

      Much as it would delight me, there's no way that I could possibly lay claim
      to a relationship with the likes of Lord Wandsworth. Maybe that's just as
      well: as I recall, that's a prison with a less than salubrious repution. The
      STERN clan of which I am a member is known, certainly up to the death of
      Sidney James in 1912.

      However, if this august STERN's family should happen to be descended not only
      from Bingen, but also from the BINGEN family, then I will be happy to admit
      him to my mother's family; that is, if they're the right BINGENs. And then
      only to about fifth or sixth cousinhood, or higher.

      Best,

      -=David=-
    • Dorothy Cox
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
        Hello Alice...I would be interested in reading this..I am still looking for
        Hiram Starr possibly name changed to Stern or from Stern to Starr??
        ..Dorothy Cox Oddly there are few Starr names in the Jewish site..puzzling
        as I am sure Emma Starr was of Jewish origin.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
          Somehow you ended up on my server, have you in your researching found that
          the name Stern changed to Starr. I had this brought to my attention by a
          relative that I should be looking for Stern and not Starr?

        • genealicej@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
            In a message dated 25/3/01 2:54:09 pm, dotcox@... writes:

            << Somehow you ended up on my server, have you in your researching found that
            the name Stern changed to Starr. I had this brought to my attention by a
            relative that I should be looking for Stern and not Starr? >>

            Yes, part of my family changed their name from STERN to STARR probably in
            either Louisville, Kentucky or Portsmouth, Ohio. You can see them on my
            genealogy site at
            http://members.tripod.co.uk/AliceJosephs/INDEX.HTM

            I think it was quite a common name change both of Jewish and non Jewish
            families.

            Alice Josephs
            United Kingdom