STERN & MANN (Dept Store), Canton, Ohio

  • Rachel Unkefer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      Information from obituaries of Max STERN and Henry MANN. Please
      contact me if any of these connect with your research. I have not yet
      determined if they connect with mine.

      Max STERN
      ---------
      b. ca. 1859, place not listed
      Worked in father's store in Easton, PA at the age of 12 (ca 1871)
      Moved to Canton Ohio in 1887 to purchase the WINTERHALTER store.
      m. Clara WEYL (ca 1896?)
      d. April 26, 1915, Canton, Ohio
      Children: Karl P. STERN, Helene R. (Mrs. Karl) HERMANN of New Rochelle, NY
      Siblings: I. STERN of New York (later of Newark, NJ), Miss Mary STERN
      and Sara (Mrs. Henry) MANN

      Clara WEYL STERN
      ----------------
      b. ca 1866, place not listed
      m. Max STERN (ca 1896?)
      d. August 15, 1941
      Children: see above
      Siblings: Miss Lucy WEYL and Mr. J.L. WEYL of Philadelphia

      Henry MANN
      ----------
      b. ca 1858, "in a little town in Germany"
      m. Sara STERN (before 1887)
      Came to US at the age of 12 (ca 1870) to Plattsburg, NY to work in
      his brother Solomon's store
      Met Sara and Max STERN in Easton, PA before 1887, married Sara,
      became business partner with Max, moved to Canton Ohio to purchase
      department store. Became large and influential store in the Canton
      area.
      Children: Harry S. MANN, Lawrence S. MANN, Phillip S. MANN
      Siblings: Solomon MANN

      Sara STERN MANN
      b. ca 1858, place not listed
      m. Henry MANN (before 1887)
      d. Jan 2, 1935
      Children: see above
      Siblings: Max STERN, I.U. STERN, Miss Mary STERN

      Rachel Unkefer
      Charlottesville, VA
      runkefer@...