Re: [Stern] Stern & Mann Dept store

  • Rachel Unkefer
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
      Nope. Canton is on the far eastern side of the state and Cincinnati
      is on the far western side. Canton is close to Cleveland and Akron.

      >is this close to cincinatti?
      >miltb
      >

      >I am not related to this family, but I am researching in the Stark
      >County, Ohio area. There was a Stern & Mann department store in
      >Canton, Ohio and I am wondering if anybody has any background on
      >that--which Stern family it was and when it was founded.
      >

      >Milt Botwinick is searching STERN in E. Prussia, [Latvia,Kurland &
      >Walk], Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, El Paso, DC, Wilmington, St.
      >Louis.
      >
      >botwinick@...

      Rachel Unkefer
      Charlottesville, VA
      runkefer@...
    • miltone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
        is this close to cincinatti?

      • genealicej@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2000
          In a message dated 14/11/00 10:53:18 pm, runkefer@... writes:

          << I am not related to this family, but I am researching in the Stark
          County, Ohio area. There was a Stern & Mann department store in
          Canton, Ohio and I am wondering if anybody has any background on
          that--which Stern family it was and when it was founded.

          Rachel
          Rachel Unkefer
          Charlottesville, VA
          runkefer@... >>

          Found this on the internet at <A
          HREF="http://weather.cantonrep.com/archive/1999/08/23/millmom.htm">
          http://weather.cantonrep.com/archive/1999/08/23/millmom.htm</A> . It is part
          of The
          Rep Shop site. I am looking for missing branches of an German/Ohio
          STERN/STARR
          family and would be interested in knowing the background of Max STERN.

          Stern & Mann marks 50 years of being in Canton
          May 9, 1937
          Half a century of advancement, in step with Canton's industrial and
          commercial progress, and fourfold growth in population was celebrated as
          Stern & Mann store marked its 50th anniversary.
          With the single exception of the Deuble jewelry store, it was the oldest
          merchandising firm in Canton without a change of name.
          In 1887, brothers-in-law Max Stern and Henry Mann chose Canton as a town with
          a promising future. Mann purchased the Winterhalter store on Market Avenue S
          for $5,000. He was given a bill of sale on the store letterhead, which he
          continued to carry folded up in his wallet.
          In the beginning, the store opened at 7 a.m. and remained open as long as
          there were customers. Clerks remained behind wooden counters and customers
          strolled about and selected the articles they wanted.
          Aristocrats of the early mercantile business were the milliners. Women made
          their own clothes, but they wanted their hats designed and made by experts.
          Hats were turned out in the store's own shop. Skillful designers were paid
          $35 to $40 a week, and very few men of that period earned as much.
          Most patrons walked to the store, and a delivery system was installed that
          consisted of a boy on a three-wheeled bicycle with a covered box mounted on
          the rear.
          In 1937, nearly 30,000 customers' cars were parked annually on the company's
          nearby parking lot. About 95 percent of the manufacturers from the early days
          had gone out of business.
          Stern & Mann had a notably small employee turnover. The last of the original
          employees, Miss Lottie Prendeville, died in 1930.

          Alice Josephs
          UK
          Researching STERN/STARR family of Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse, Portsmouth,
          Socioto County, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky.