Thomas Sterland

  • A. Berry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2005
      Hello All,
      Hope everyone is well and happy and that your ancestors are being
      co-operative !
      I have received yet another query from a visitor to my web site and wondered
      if anyone can please help us sort it out.

      Mark Sterland in Australia is descended from William Sterland born 1834, son
      of Thomas Sterland and Mary Ann Hartley who were married 1825 at St. Mary's,
      Nottingham.

      Mark is trying to find Thomas' birth date and parent's names, so I have
      offered to check the marriage at Notts. Archives to see if there is any
      further information there (although I doubt it being as early as 1825)

      In the meantime, I wondered if his parents might be Thomas Sterland and Amy
      Goddard who married in 1788.
      They had a son, Thomas, baptised 1795 at Greasley.

      However, according to the IGI and Pedigree Resource File, Thomas (1795 of
      Thomas and Amy) married an Elizabeth about 1830 at Greasley.
      The information was submitted after 1991 by Brent D. Madsen.

      So I searched the for this marriage on the Notts Marriage Index, and the IGI
      , but couldn't find it.

      Mr. Madsen also submitted that there were a number of children to this
      Thomas and Elizabeth - born and christened between 1821 and 1834 at Heanor,
      of Codnor, Derbys.

      So, I wonder, how did he work it out that they were married about 1830?

      As Mark's Thomas Sterland and Mary Ann Hartley had children between 1826 and
      1834, the one who married an Elizabeth cannot possibly be the same Thomas.
      So, we would be very grateful for your thoughts on this and any information
      you might have on either Thomas.
      Thank you for your time to read this,
      Best wishes,
      Ann
      (In Nottingham, England)

    • Richard & Marcela
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2005
        Ann,

        Some of these as it happens are the same as my ancestors so naturally I do have quite a lot of information on the various lines that you reference. A lot of what you have is almost correct and if you could let me have the e-mail for Mark Sterland, I would glady assist in clarifying his queries.

        I note your reference to Brent Madsen and his information that dates back to 1991, back in the late 1990s I did communicated with Brent related to his information which does contain a number of anomalies, but it would seem that furhter to the dialogue the data set did not get updated. His data is almost solely based upon the IGI, and I know from experience there are differences with the parish records which are based in Nottingham. There is no record of a Thomas marrying Elizabeth around 1830, and no offspring that I have come across who were born in Heanor in the time period mentioned.

        At the time of doing the research I was in communication with various people also in Australia and there was quite a lot of work already done.

        Regards,

        Richard