Comet in HI2a - 17P HOLMES

  • algwat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
      1 h2a:20080125_000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
      2 h2a:20080125_120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386

      looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.
    • Rainer Kracht
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
        On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:03, algwat wrote:

        > 1 h2a:20080125_000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
        > 2 h2a:20080125_120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386
        >
        > looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.

        Yes, very good. Perhaps it will be visible in HI1A?

        Rainer
      • algwat
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
          Gidday Rainer,
          Should cross HI2a for several weeks, and maybe still be visible in HI1a
          late april early may if it does not fade.

          What would be interesting is if groundbased images could be taken at
          the same time step as the HI2a imager. for comaprison and if we are
          lucky the foretold second outburst?

          I liked your holmes image on yur web site. I don't have the necessary
          equipment, to far south any way.

          Kind regards, Alan.

          --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "Rainer Kracht" <r.kracht@...>
          wrote:

          > On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:03, algwat wrote:
          >
          > > 1 h2a:20080125_000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
          > > 2 h2a:20080125_120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386
          > >
          > > looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.
          > >

          > Yes, very good. Perhaps it will be visible in HI1A?
          >
          > Rainer

        • rainerkracht
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2008
            --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "algwat" <awat4309@...> wrote:

            > Gidday Rainer,
            > Should cross HI2a for several weeks, and maybe still be visible in
            HI1a
            > late april early may if it does not fade.
            >
            > What would be interesting is if groundbased images could be taken at
            > the same time step as the HI2a imager. for comaprison and if we are
            > lucky the foretold second outburst?
            >
            > I liked your holmes image on yur web site. I don't have the necessary
            > equipment, to far south any way.
            >
            > Kind regards, Alan.

            Hi Alan,

            I have just completed a new set of 24 exposures of 17P/Holmes.
            It's amazing that the comet is still well visible in each
            image exposed for only ten seconds with a small lens of
            diameter 25 mm (1") three months after it's outburst.

            The summed image is at http://www.rkracht.de/forum/20080130.jpg.
            The images are taken from inside a small town, but at lower
            left a faint trace of the California Nebula can be seen.
            That's digital magic!

            Regards,
            Rainer
          • Alan Watson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2008
              Gidday Rainer,
              the link works if the full stop(.) is removed.

              That looks great, I can match the star fields well. The exposure time is similar to the HI2a imager (24secs? per frame).
              It looks a bit bigger in HI2a. Do you think that would be due to better Infrared levels in HI2a, from the dust shield around Holmes.
              I am sure longer exposure times would show a larger coma.

               Also I would like to know if there is still the outer green glow. How far it extends? If you or others have the time and the weather. A bit cold I expect.

              I noticed some CME activity crossing HI2a. In Holmes general direction. May be there about now. I don't have the 3D relationship worked out so it may pass with no effect.

              Thanks for sharing your image, good stuff.

              kind regards, Alan.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2008
                On 31 Jan 2008, at 11:42, Alan Watson wrote:

                > Gidday Rainer,
                > the link works if the full stop(.) is removed.
                >
                > That looks great, I can match the star fields well. The exposure time is similar to the HI2a imager (24secs? per frame).
                > It looks a bit bigger in HI2a. Do you think that would be due to better Infrared levels in HI2a, from the dust shield around Holmes.
                > I am sure longer exposure times would show a larger coma.

                My image is from 24 ten second exposures from 2008 January 30 22:45
                - 22:52 UTC (total exposure 240 seconds = 4 minutes). I don't think
                that the better Infrared levels in HI2A make the comet look bigger.
                The total exposure of the HI2A images is much longer and they are
                taken from space. The spectral response of the two cameras is
                much different.

                Regards,
                Rainer
              • Alan Watson
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 14, 2008
                  Gidday all,
                  looks like !7P Holmes has faded from the HI2a imager FOV?
                  It is passing over the brighter region of the background.
                  Does not look good for any HI1a opportunities.

                  Kind regards, Alan.

                  wrote:

                  > On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:03, algwat wrote:
                  >
                  > > 1 h2a:20080125_ 000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
                  > > 2 h2a:20080125_ 120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386
                  > >
                  > > looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.
                  > >

                  > Yes, very good. Perhaps it will be visible in HI1A?
                  >
                  > Rainer

                • Alan Watson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                    Gidday All,
                    Along the top edge of recent images in HI1a 0417-19.
                    Around here,  (0,0) uplft - 1 H1a:20080419_232901_s4h1A x132 y7 69 39.812
                    Is a hazy diffuse artifact about 15 pixels wide.
                    When the sequence is processed and animated it looks like it is spinning anti clock wise.
                    I think it is close to were Holmes should be. Seems to have a few elements to it.
                    Very interested if other can see this, and there opinions.

                    Kind regards, Alan

                    wrote:

                    > On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:03, algwat wrote:
                    >
                    > > 1 h2a:20080125_ 000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
                    > > 2 h2a:20080125_ 120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386
                    > >
                    > > looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.
                    > >

                    > Yes, very good. Perhaps it will be visible in HI1A?
                    >
                    > Rainer

                  • Alan Watson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                      This artifact is visible at top left in this movie sequence

                      rgds Alan

                      wrote:

                      > On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:03, algwat wrote:
                      >
                      > > 1 h2a:20080125_ 000921_s4h2A 6 219 84 169.493
                      > > 2 h2a:20080125_ 120921_s4h2A 11 221 90 180.386
                      > >
                      > > looks fantastic. kind regards, Alan.
                      > >

                      > Yes, very good. Perhaps it will be visible in HI1A?
                      >
                      > Rainer

                    • colindrescher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                        Hi Alan,

                        There is nothing in DSS images at this location, only a string of 11
                        mag stars. There does seem to be a diffuse path there on the online
                        processed images.
                        17P is 8 degrees away out of the field, as viewed from STEREO-A
                        (Correct me if I am wrong).
                        The artifact is most likely from the mag 2.8 star Hassaleh (iot Aur)
                        ~20 arcmin from your coordinates just out of the field.

                        Regards,
                        Colin Drescher
                        Brisbane, Australia

                        --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Watson" <awat4309@...> wrote:

                        > Gidday All,
                        > Along the top edge of recent images in HI1a 0417-19.
                        > Around here, (0,0) uplft - 1 H1a:20080419_232901_s4h1A x132 y7 69
                        39.812
                        > Is a hazy diffuse artifact about 15 pixels wide.
                        > When the sequence is processed and animated it looks like it is
                        spinning anti clock wise.
                        > I think it is close to were Holmes should be. Seems to have a few
                        elements to it.
                        > Very interested if other can see this, and there opinions.
                        >
                        > Kind regards, Alan

                      • colindrescher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                          Hi Alan,

                          There is nothing in DSS images at this location, only a string of 11
                          mag stars. There does seem to be a diffuse path there on the online
                          processed images.
                          17P is 8 degrees away out of the field, as viewed from STEREO-A
                          (Correct me if I am wrong).
                          The artifact is most likely from the mag 2.8 star Hassaleh (iot Aur)
                          ~20 arcmin from your coordinates just out of the field.

                          Regards,
                          Colin Drescher
                          Brisbane, Australia

                          --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Watson" <awat4309@...> wrote:

                          > Gidday All,
                          > Along the top edge of recent images in HI1a 0417-19.
                          > Around here, (0,0) uplft - 1 H1a:20080419_232901_s4h1A x132 y7 69
                          39.812
                          > Is a hazy diffuse artifact about 15 pixels wide.
                          > When the sequence is processed and animated it looks like it is
                          spinning anti clock wise.
                          > I think it is close to were Holmes should be. Seems to have a few
                          elements to it.
                          > Very interested if other can see this, and there opinions.
                          >
                          > Kind regards, Alan

                        • algwat
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                            Gidday Colin,
                            Yes , I was suspecting it might be mag 2.8 star Hassaleh. I will
                            track it in the next sequences to see if it moves against the FOV.
                            many thanks.
                            Kind regards, Alan

                            --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "colindrescher"