Small comet in HI2A, 20070720-present, identity=??

  • karlbattams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
      Hi all,

      I noticed today a small comet in the upper-left corner of HI2A (data
      of 20070722). It's just to the lower-right of the very bright star
      that's there. (I apologise for my ignorance of the current celestial
      objects in HI2!)

      I have uploaded a small MPEG of it to the files area. You can see it
      moving downwards reasonably fast. Can anyone tell me which comet this
      is? It looks reasonably bright (maybe m8 or m9).

      For those who look at the data themselves, a couple of positions are
      as follows:
      20070722, 1024x1024 images, (0,0) Upper-left
      0009UT 266,58
      0209UT 267,61

      I can track it back to at least July20.

      Thanks!!
      ~~Karl
    • colindrescher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
        Karl,

        The comet is C/2006 VZ13 (LINEAR) next to the bright star Arcturus.
        It is currently 7.5 to 8.0 mag.

        The seperation angle of STEREO-A with earth is about 12 deg. and has
        a Heliographic latitude of 6.3 deg.

        This offset places the comet next to Arcturus. The motion of the
        comet is also consistant with your animation.

        Kind regards,
        Colin Drescher

        --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "karlbattams" <karlbattams@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I noticed today a small comet in the upper-left corner of HI2A (data
        > of 20070722). It's just to the lower-right of the very bright star
        > that's there. (I apologise for my ignorance of the current celestial
        > objects in HI2!)
        >
        > I have uploaded a small MPEG of it to the files area. You can see it
        > moving downwards reasonably fast. Can anyone tell me which comet
        this
        > is? It looks reasonably bright (maybe m8 or m9).
        >
        > For those who look at the data themselves, a couple of positions are
        > as follows:
        > 20070722, 1024x1024 images, (0,0) Upper-left
        > 0009UT 266,58
        > 0209UT 267,61
        >
        > I can track it back to at least July20.
        >
        > Thanks!!
        > ~~Karl

      • colindrescher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
          Karl,

          Sorry, the Heliographic latitude does not have much effect.
          I need more experience with this.

          Comet is C/2006 VZ13 (LINEAR) as can be seen in SOHO-SWAN images.

          Regards,
          Colin Drescher

          --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "colindrescher"
          <colindrescher@...> wrote:

          > Karl,
          >
          > The comet is C/2006 VZ13 (LINEAR) next to the bright star Arcturus.
          > It is currently 7.5 to 8.0 mag.
          >
          > The seperation angle of STEREO-A with earth is about 12 deg. and
          has
          > a Heliographic latitude of 6.3 deg.
          >
          > This offset places the comet next to Arcturus. The motion of the
          > comet is also consistant with your animation.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          > Colin Drescher
          >
          > --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "karlbattams" <karlbattams@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I noticed today a small comet in the upper-left corner of HI2A
          (data
          > > of 20070722). It's just to the lower-right of the very bright star
          > > that's there. (I apologise for my ignorance of the current
          celestial
          > > objects in HI2!)
          > >
          > > I have uploaded a small MPEG of it to the files area. You can see
          it
          > > moving downwards reasonably fast. Can anyone tell me which comet
          > this
          > > is? It looks reasonably bright (maybe m8 or m9).
          > >
          > > For those who look at the data themselves, a couple of positions
          are
          > > as follows:
          > > 20070722, 1024x1024 images, (0,0) Upper-left
          > > 0009UT 266,58
          > > 0209UT 267,61
          > >
          > > I can track it back to at least July20.
          > >
          > > Thanks!!
          > > ~~Karl

        • karlbattams
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
            Colin,

            Thanks! I did wonder, after posting the message, if it was LINEAR,
            especially given the fact that it's the only moderately bright comet
            around right now.

            Cheers,
            ~~Karl