Re: [stereohunter] C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) [1 Attachment]

  • Alan Watson
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 7, 2011
      Comet  C/2011 W3 is in HI2A but not for long. First seen with registered images , just makes the edge. It would also be seen a bit earlier than this if had brightened quicker. not really very easy to see so adjust the image brightness and contrast. Animate the sequence. Can be see in running difff images also.  kind regards, Alan.

      (0,0)uplft   Label X Y Median Slice
      1 Registered 201112:46 872 794 35.9118 46
      2 Registered 201112:37 866 805 38.0199 37
      3 Registered 201112:41 868 800 41.0078 41
      4 Registered 201112:30 861 811 31.4953 30
      5 201112:20111204_180921_s4h2A 926 794 9.3159 14
      6 201112:20111204_080921_s4h2A 916 800 6.5623 19
      7 201112:20111204_000921_s4h2A 909 803 16.2567 23
      8 201112:20111203_140921_s4h2A 899 810 2.0685 28

      On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:
      Approximate prospects for C/2011 W3 Lovejoy in STEREO HI1A and COR2A, Enters FOV 7th December approx, see attached Starry night Map. There is a possibility that it is currently in lower right quarter of STEREO HI2A, I do see a suspect but it is not conclusive, may be tomorrows image set has a brighter comet.

      kind regards, Alan.

      On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Alan Watson included below]

      c/2011 W3 , Avi from images of Rob Kaufman Bright, Vic, Australia, who always puts in a great effort from the ground.
      kind regards, Alan.

      On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM, alan <c2009a1@...> wrote:

      Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:

      http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html

      Congrats Terry, it should have been a SOHO or STEREO, mumble...mumble..mumble... 8)

      I will try to see if it was detectable in the recent Stereo A roll data. The comet should be detectable in Stereo HI1B lower edge first.
      A couple of days left for all the telescopes and imagers to follow it in, SDO will be very intersting.

      kind regards. Alan.

      --
      Kind regards, Alan

      --
      Kind regards, Alan

      --
      Kind regards, Alan
    • Alan Watson
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 9, 2011
        Coulda, woulda, shoulda... in HI2A on discovery day, don't tell terry, or Robk they'll just work a bit harder from the ground.
         around here , visible in motion.
         (0,0)uplft Label X Y Median Slice
        1 Registered Stack:15 919 883 41.3038 15
        2 Stack:20111127_060921_s4h2A 767 884 37.6165 14

        Kind regards, Alan.
        ..patiently waiting for a bigger/brighter one to fall into HI2A.....mumble ..mumble..  8)

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 12, 2011
        Gidday ,
        An image form the 20111211 HI1B data. Looking good with well formed tail.
        Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity can hold, it will make it passed the close approach.
        Has the orbit been updated with STEREO data as yet?

        kind regards, Alan.
      • Alan Watson
        Message 4 of 30 , Dec 14, 2011
        Gidday All,
        Another image of this comet, 20111212, showing the same time steps from two points of view.
        Karl, and all. Feel free to use this anywhere you see fit, if you like it of course.

        kind regards, Alan

        On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Alan Watson included below]

        Gidday ,
        An image form the 20111211 HI1B data. Looking good with well formed tail.
        Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity can hold, it will make it passed the close approach.
        Has the orbit been updated with STEREO data as yet?

        kind regards, Alan.

        --
        Kind regards, Alan
      • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
        Message 5 of 30 , Dec 14, 2011
          G'Day All

          Great images Alan (I'll steal them later :-)

          Here's my images of the comets, using the H1A and H1B raw fits supplied by
          Karl (I am not worthy).
          http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/comet-c2011-lovejoy-brightens.html

          I've done animations in the above post, and you can clearly see the tail
          splitting and disconnecting in the H1B images, and writhing about in the
          H1A images (thanks again Karl).

          If I get time I'll do some astrometry on them (after marking supplementary
          exams :-(.

          Cheers! Ian
          Alan Watson wrote:
          > Gidday All,
          > Another image of this comet, 20111212, showing the same time steps from
          > two
          > points of view.
          > Karl, and all. Feel free to use this anywhere you see fit, if you like it
          > of course.
          >
          > kind regards, Alan
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>
          >> [Attachment(s) <#134347a9823156bd_TopText> from Alan Watson included
          >> below]
          >>
          >> Gidday ,
          >> An image form the 20111211 HI1B data. Looking good with well formed
          >> tail.
          >> Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity
          >> can hold, it will make it passed the close approach.
          >> Has the orbit been updated with STEREO data as yet?

          Ian Musgrave, Peta ODonohue, Jack, Mikey and Andy
          reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
          Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
          (scroll down right hand menu)
          AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
          GRAS Blog http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/gras-monthly-heads-up/
          Sky & Space http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
        • Alan Watson
          Message 6 of 30 , Dec 14, 2011
            Thanks Ian,
            Read your blog with all the good info and links as usual. Karl's doing a great job on the twitter, and running site log, and getting the big guys interested. I see SDO is even going to do a side slide to try and see it. Hope it holds together.

            kind regards, Alan
            ... I've stopped mumbling now.....8)

            Message 7 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
              G'Day Allan

              Maybe I should tweet a Beacon image on the hour? :-) Lovejoy still
              bright in SOHO and undisintegrated, in the beacon images it has
              passed out of H1A on the 15th still undisintegrated, Can't see it in
              the COR1 beacon images but it is very obvious in the COR2B beacon
              images for the 15th
              http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse//2011/12/15/behind/cor2/512/20111215_112424_d7c2B.jpg

              Cheers! Ian
              At 05:31 PM 15/12/2011, you wrote:

              >Thanks Ian,
              >Read your blog with all the good info and links as usual. Karl's
              >doing a great job on the twitter, and running site log, and getting
              >the big guys interested. I see SDO is even going to do a side slide
              >to try and see it. Hope it holds together.
              >
              >kind regards, Alan
              >... I've stopped mumbling now.....8)
              >
              >On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
              ><<mailto:reynella@...>reynella@...> wrote:
              >

              >G'Day All
              >
              >Great images Alan (I'll steal them later :-)
              >
              >Here's my images of the comets, using the H1A and H1B raw fits supplied by
              >Karl (I am not worthy).
              ><http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/comet-c2011-lovejoy-brightens.html>http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/comet-c2011-lovejoy-brightens.html
              >
              >I've done animations in the above post, and you can clearly see the tail
              >splitting and disconnecting in the H1B images, and writhing about in the
              >H1A images (thanks again Karl).
              >
              >If I get time I'll do some astrometry on them (after marking supplementary
              >exams :-(.
              >
              >Cheers! Ian
              >Alan Watson wrote:
              > > Gidday All,
              > > Another image of this comet, 20111212, showing the same time steps from
              > > two
              > > points of view.
              > > Karl, and all. Feel free to use this anywhere you see fit, if you like it
              > > of course.
              > >
              > > kind regards, Alan
              > >
              > > On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Alan Watson
              > <<mailto:c2009a1%40gmail.com>c2009a1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              > >>
              > >> [Attachment(s) <#134347a9823156bd_TopText> from Alan Watson included
              > >> below]
              > >>

              > >> Gidday ,
              > >> An image form the 20111211 HI1B data. Looking good with well formed
              > >> tail.
              > >> Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity
              > >> can hold, it will make it passed the close approach.
              > >> Has the orbit been updated with STEREO data as yet?

              >Ian Musgrave, Peta ODonohue, Jack, Mikey and Andy
              ><mailto:reynella%40mira.net>reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
              >Southern Sky Watch
              ><http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm>http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
              >(scroll down right hand menu)
              >AstroBlogg
              ><http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/>http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
              >GRAS Blog
              ><http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/gras-monthly-heads-up/>http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/gras-monthly-heads-up/
              >Sky & Space
              ><http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml>http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
              >

              >--
              >Kind regards, Alan

              Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis, Michael James and Andrew
              Thomas Musgrave
              reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
              Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
              (scroll down right hand menu)
              AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
              Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
              Message 8 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
              Last chance to see C/2011 W3 in C3....?? may be.

              Kind regards, Alan
            • Alan Watson
              Message 9 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
                Err um ...."Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity can hold, it will make it passed the close approach"  ... I told you so 8).  hohoho merry xmas all.

                Fantastic news,
                "tweet from SungrazerCometsSungrazing Comets
                I'm astounded and delighted! RT @NASA_SDO: Comet Lovejoy reemerging on the other side of the sun http://ow.ly/813Dl "

                So,  Lovejoy soon to have a periodic comet, just a very long wait to prove it ??

                kind regards, Alan.

                On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:

                [Attachment(s) from Alan Watson included below]

                Last chance to see C/2011 W3 in C3....?? may be.

                Kind regards, Alan

                --
                Kind regards, Alan
              • Matson, Robert D.
                Message 10 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011

                  Hi Alan,

                  I can see it as late as 00:50 in SDO imagery – the question is the location of perihelion?  Is it

                  behind the earth from our (SDO’s) perspective? If so, then something certainly survived

                  past perihelion… --Rob

                  Message 11 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
                    Yep, it's really amazing to get so far.
                    This shows very movie has a very interactive tail across the solar atmosphere.

                    No, CME launch, what do you think ? umm. 8)

                    kind regards, Alan.

                    Message 12 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011

                      Hi Alan,

                      I’m fine with the lack of a coincident CME – earlier in the week (I think on MPML

                      or the Comet mailing list) I mentioned the possibility <sarcasm> of a CME with

                      tongue firmly planted in cheek. ;-)

                      --Rob

                      Message 13 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
                        Yes, that's how I took it too.
                        My wild prediction of survial was made on baseless assumptions and no science what so ever.
                        Just had to hedge the bets.. 8)

                        kind regards, Alan.

                        Message 14 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
                          G'Day All

                          Comet Lovejoy exits the sun in the SDO images (video)
                          http://t.co/I4TiZ1xq
                          But has not reemerged in the COR2 images yet (f ever)
                          <http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse//2011/12/15/behind/cor1/512/20111215_170518_s7c1B.jpg>

                          Cheers! Ian
                          Matson, Robert D. wrote:
                          > Hi Alan,
                          >

                          > I can see it as late as 00:50 in SDO imagery - the question is the
                          > location of perihelion? Is it
                          >
                          > behind the earth from our (SDO's) perspective? If so, then something
                          > certainly survived
                          >
                          > past perihelion... --Rob

                        • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
                          Message 15 of 30 , Dec 15, 2011
                            G'Day All

                            WOAH!

                            Alan Watson wrote:
                            > Yep, it's really amazing to get so far.
                            > This shows very movie has a very interactive tail across the solar
                            > atmosphere.
                            > http://sdoisgo.blogspot.com/2011/12/comet-lovejoy-seen-in-171.html
                            >
                            > No, CME launch, what do you think ? umm. 8)
                            >
                            > kind regards, Alan.
                            >

                            > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Matson, Robert D. <matsonr@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            >> **
                            >>

                            >> Hi Alan,****
                            >>
                            >> ** **
                            >>
                            >> I can see it as late as 00:50 in SDO imagery – the question is the
                            >> location of perihelion? Is it****
                            >>
                            >> behind the earth from our (SDO’s) perspective? If so, then something
                            >> certainly survived****
                            >>
                            >> past perihelion… --Rob****
                            >>
                            >> ** **

                          • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
                            Message 16 of 30 , Dec 16, 2011
                              G'Day All

                              G'Day All

                              Here's my post on the survival of the
                              extraordinary comet lovejoy with hand built
                              animations from SOHO and STEREO, showing the
                              comet exiting the sun sans tail (which can be
                              seen dissipating in the STEREO images), plus
                              links to more images and animations. Enjoy!
                              <http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/it-lives.html>http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/it-lives.html

                              Cheers! Ian

                              Message 17 of 30 , Dec 16, 2011
                                G'Day All

                                Comet Lovejoy returns from the Sun while the tail
                                is still going in!! (STEREO C2B beacon images made into an animation)
                                http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/it-lives-part-2.html

                              • Adam
                                Message 18 of 30 , Dec 16, 2011
                                  C/2011 W3 is now entered on HI1 STEREO-A ?

                                  http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse/2011/12/16/ahead/hi1/512/20111216_13180\
                                  1_s7h1A.jpg

                                  right on image edge

                                  Adam
                                • Adam
                                  Message 19 of 30 , Dec 16, 2011
                                  • Alan Watson
                                    Message 20 of 30 , Dec 18, 2011
                                    The new lovejoy tail evolves rgds alan

                                    On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:

                                    Err um ...."Here's a wild prediction, if the mass is large enough, and the integrity can hold, it will make it passed the close approach"  ... I told you so 8).  hohoho merry xmas all.

                                    Fantastic news,
                                    "tweet from SungrazerCometsSungrazing Comets
                                    I'm astounded and delighted! RT @NASA_SDO: Comet Lovejoy reemerging on the other side of the sun http://ow.ly/813Dl "

                                    So,  Lovejoy soon to have a periodic comet, just a very long wait to prove it ??

                                    kind regards, Alan.

                                    On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:

                                    [Attachment(s) from Alan Watson included below]

                                    Last chance to see C/2011 W3 in C3....?? may be.

                                    Kind regards, Alan

                                    --
                                    Kind regards, Alan

                                    --
                                    Kind regards, Alan Watson

                                    How to loose an argument with a scientist . . .
                                    ... I can only make assumptions. You have to be trained too Theorize....8)

                                  • Alan Watson
                                    Message 21 of 30 , Dec 18, 2011
                                      Gidday All,
                                      Lovejoy in 20111216 HI1A is sooo bright. I will wait till its on the Left side of the FOV before doing an image.
                                      You guys feel free to have a go, would like to see your processing results.

                                      Karl, is the STEREO EUVI data going to made available at the usual locations. After you have had your fun with it , of course.

                                      Message 22 of 30 , Dec 18, 2011
                                        G'Day all

                                        And if the beacon images are any guide, it's going to get brighter.

                                        Cheers! Ian

                                          Message 25 of 30 , Dec 26, 2011
                                          Interesting tail shapes seen in STEREO HI2A, not evident from grounds images around the same time.

                                          Kind regards, Alan Watson

                                        • Alan Watson
                                          Message 26 of 30 , Jan 5, 2012
                                          Twenty days of C/2011 W3 Lovejoy in STEREO A
                                          Kind regards, Alan Watson
                                          http://cometal-comets.blogspot.com/2011/12/comet-c2011-w3-lovejoy.html
                                        • Alan Watson
                                          Message 27 of 30 , Apr 16, 2012
                                          Gidday all,
                                          I have been playing with Helioviewer and SDO images, found the image download button.
                                          Thought to share some images here, Lovejoy looks interesting.