C/2010 X1 (Elenin) in HI-2

  • Karl Battams
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
      Dear All,

      We played back the STEREO-B August 1st data this morning and our calculations were good -- we are pointed nicely at Comet Elenin!

      http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/item.php?id=selects&iid=154

      It was ~0.051AU from STEREO-B when those images were taken... so that's four to five times closer than it will ever get to Earth! Hopefully the doomsayers will calm down now, but I'm probably far too optimistic!

      Forward scattering should really start to kick in soon, so it will probably brighten very rapidly over the next few days. I'll keep pointing you to the latest images when we have them,

      Regards,
      ~~Karl
    • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
        G'Day All

        APPLAUSE!

        (PS what UT time was the roll, so when the raw images are released on the
        servere we don't have to download every one.

        Cheers! Ian
        Karl Battams wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > We played back the STEREO-B August 1st data this morning and our
        > calculations were good -- we are pointed nicely at Comet Elenin!
        >
        > http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/item.php?id=selects&iid=154
        >
        > It was ~0.051AU from STEREO-B when those images were taken... so that's
        > four to five times closer than it will ever get to Earth! Hopefully the
        > doomsayers will calm down now, but I'm probably far too optimistic!
        >
        > Forward scattering should really start to kick in soon, so it will
        > probably brighten very rapidly over the next few days. I'll keep pointing
        > you to the latest images when we have them,
        >
        > Regards,
        > ~~Karl

        Ian Musgrave, Peta ODonohue, Jack, Mikey and Andy
        reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
        Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
        (scroll down right hand menu)
        AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
        GRAS Blog http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/gras-monthly-heads-up/
        Sky & Space http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
      • Alan Watson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
          Good work Karl,
          Congrats to the STEREO Guys for putting in the efforts to have this viewing opportunity.

          Kind regards, Alan.

          --
          Kind regards, Alan
        • Michael Mattiazzo
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
            Thank you Karl!

            For those trying to identify the star field.
            Sirius is the brightest star in the field above centre at 292,134.
            orion is on the left edge with M42 just visible.
            Beta Mon is left of centre at 183,238
            comet Elenin is situated in Monoceros, from Stereo B's perspective.
            it appears about mag 4 but keep in mind there is significant milky way interference.

            Looking forward to seeing it in Hi1B and hopefully COR2!

            cheers,
            Michael Mattiazzo

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
              The times of the rolls are listed on the STEREO planning calendar at

              http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/plans.shtml

              The rolls are between 8-10 UT each day, except for Aug 5 and Aug 12 when the
              rolls are between 10-12.

              Bill Thompson

              Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue wrote:

              > G'Day All
              >
              > APPLAUSE!
              >
              > (PS what UT time was the roll, so when the raw images are released on the
              > servere we don't have to download every one.
              >
              > Cheers! Ian
              > Karl Battams wrote:
              > > Dear All,
              > >
              > > We played back the STEREO-B August 1st data this morning and our
              > > calculations were good -- we are pointed nicely at Comet Elenin!
              > >
              > > http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/item.php?id=selects&iid=154
              > <http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/item.php?id=selects&iid=154>
              > >
              > > It was ~0.051AU from STEREO-B when those images were taken... so that's
              > > four to five times closer than it will ever get to Earth! Hopefully the
              > > doomsayers will calm down now, but I'm probably far too optimistic!
              > >
              > > Forward scattering should really start to kick in soon, so it will
              > > probably brighten very rapidly over the next few days. I'll keep pointing
              > > you to the latest images when we have them,
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > ~~Karl

              > Ian Musgrave, Peta ODonohue, Jack, Mikey and Andy
              > reynella@... <mailto:reynella%40mira.net>
              > http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
              > Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
              > (scroll down right hand menu)
              > AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
              > GRAS Blog http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/gras-monthly-heads-up/
              > Sky & Space http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml

              --
              William Thompson
              NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
              Code 671
              Greenbelt, MD 20771
              USA

              301-286-2040
              William.T.Thompson@...
            • Alan Watson
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2011
                Gidday all,
                Elenin in unrolled STEREO B, big, bright, and fizzy.
                  Label Mean X Y Median Slice
                1 201108:20110814_172901_s4h1B 133.4595 8 759 133.4595 27
                2 201108:20110814_192901_s4h1B 127.4551 15 757 127.4551 30
                3 201108:20110814_212901_s4h1B 111.0953 22 755 111.0953 33
                4 201108:20110814_232901_s4h1B 161.0403 28 752 161.0403 36
                My original alignments were way off, looks very well positioned for next week.
                --
                Kind regards, Alan