Re: [stereohunter] Re: C/2009 02 Catalina

  • Alan Watson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
      Comet C/2009 O2 Catalina, HI1A -  moving fast south, quite faint, best seen in motion.rgds Alan.
      (0,0)upleft  image  mean  x  y  slice
      7 201004:20100404_004901_s4h1A 15.2432 62 8 34
      8 201004:20100404_060901_s4h1A 17.8481 64 14 26
      9 201004:20100404_064901_s4h1A 11.7362 66 20 25
      10 201004:20100404_172901_s4h1A 16.6328 76 44 9

      On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM, karlbattams <karlbattams@...> wrote:

      Alan,

      Many thanks for the heads-up on this!

      I have added this comet to our "STEREO Orbit" tool: http://secchi.nrl.navy.mil/STEREOorbit/

      You're right -- this comet will pass very close (on astronomical scales) to the STEREO-B spacecraft, almost exactly between the Sun and the s/c. If I get time, I'll run the numbers and see just how close they get. I don't think we'll pass through the tail but if it does show up in HI-1B, we should see some significant forward scattering. We should expect to observe the comet to be at least a few orders of magnitude brighter than what is seen from Earth.

      Regards,
      ~~Karl

      --
      Kind regards, Alan
    • Alan Watson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
        Does any one think they saw this comet pass through Stereo B FOV ?
        (missed it but that much....chief). All that data is there.
        still in STEREO A FOV but getting harder to follow.

        kind regards, Alan.
        On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Alan Watson <c2009a1@...> wrote:
        Comet C/2009 O2 Catalina, HI1A -  moving fast south, quite faint, best seen in motion.rgds Alan.
        (0,0)upleft  image  mean  x  y  slice
        7 201004:20100404_004901_s4h1A 15.2432 62 8 34
        8 201004:20100404_060901_s4h1A 17.8481 64 14 26
        9 201004:20100404_064901_s4h1A 11.7362 66 20 25
        10 201004:20100404_172901_s4h1A 16.6328 76 44 9

        On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM, karlbattams <karlbattams@...> wrote:

        Alan,

        Many thanks for the heads-up on this!

        I have added this comet to our "STEREO Orbit" tool: http://secchi.nrl.navy.mil/STEREOorbit/

        You're right -- this comet will pass very close (on astronomical scales) to the STEREO-B spacecraft, almost exactly between the Sun and the s/c. If I get time, I'll run the numbers and see just how close they get. I don't think we'll pass through the tail but if it does show up in HI-1B, we should see some significant forward scattering. We should expect to observe the comet to be at least a few orders of magnitude brighter than what is seen from Earth.

        Regards,
        ~~Karl

        --- In stereohunter@yahoogroups.com, "alan" <c2009a1@...> wrote:

        > Gidday all,
        > This comet is inbound and already has images showing a large tail as seen from the ground. It will pass through STEREO A FOV across April.
        > Also, it may pass across the FOV of STEREO B, upper left corner. The distance from the STEREO B will be about 0.23au. quite close. Look out for it when STEREO B rolls, or for any tail debris that may be detectable. Not sure if STEREO B is to pass directly through this comets tail, but looks close.
        >
        > Kind regards, Alan.
        > new blogspot here...
        > http://cometal-comets.blogspot.com/

        --
        Kind regards, Alan

        --
        Kind regards, Alan
      • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2010
          G'Day All

          At 09:01 AM 20/04/2010, Alan wrote:
          >Does any one think they saw this comet pass through Stereo B FOV ?
          >(missed it but that much....chief). All that data is there.
          >still in STEREO A FOV but getting harder to follow.

          Can't see anything in images from 12 April or 14 April, but the
          imaging on 13 April stops about halfway through. Could check the late
          12th images. If there is something ther it is very faint.

          Cheers! Ian

          Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis, Michael James and Andrew
          Thomas Musgrave
          reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
          Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
          (scroll down right hand menu)
          AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
          Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
          http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
        • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
            G'Day All

            At 09:01 AM 20/04/2010, Alan wrote:

            >Does any one think they saw this comet pass through Stereo B FOV ?
            >(missed it but that much....chief). All that data is there.
            >still in STEREO A FOV but getting harder to follow.

            Meh! redid the predictions with the new JPL HORIZONS data, it looks
            like it missed H1B by a country mile.

            See
            http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2010/04/case-of-missing-comet-or-where-oh-where.html

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
              Yep, that would explain it.
              I have an Idea, why not put as much gear( a few movable instruments) as we can on to the Shuttles that are about to be decommissioned and sold. And go and park them at L4 and L5. Ready made space stations. They could also be setup as deep space communication relays for other probes , just a thought.

              kind regards, Alan.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
                G'Day All

                Alan Watson wrote:
                > Yep, that would explain it.
                > I have an Idea, why not put as much gear( a few movable instruments) as we
                > can on to the Shuttles that are about to be decommissioned and sold. And
                > go
                > and park them at L4 and L5. Ready made space stations. They could also be
                > setup as deep space communication relays for other probes , just a
                > thought.

                Probably fuel limitations, currently the Shuttle can't get much beyond the
                Hubble telescope, so you would need one shuttle as an instrument platform,
                and another to carry fuel to launch the first one form low earth orbit
                into a trajectory that would end up at L5. Could be done, but it would
                possibly be easier to dump stuff on a pallet and lunch from a low-earth
                Shuttle (or pallet in one shuttle, engine in the other and asemeble in
                space), rather than send the whole shuttle mass along.

                But we could get a proper sodium tail camera for Mercury (get an occulting
                disk in and you could do both Mercury and Venus), a dedicated L5-eroid
                camera amd heaps of comet/asteroid related stuff.

                Cheers! Ian (musings from real rocket scientists encouraged)
                Ian Musgrave, Peta ODonohue, Jack, Mikey and Andy