Advice for Galactic Powers - part 1

  • ericjr77
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1999
      I sent this to NUKEBB, since we keep running into
      one another in GP and other games. Thought it might
      be of general interest so I'm repeating it here.
      Some of this stuff echoes the debate on "do the
      math"... something I agree with. <br><br>
      you doing wrong: <br>colonizing at BR1 and not using
      enough <br>jumpgates. Just my opinion, of course. The
      quintessential jumpgate-junkie game. Other <br>games aren't
      quite so jumpgate-intensive.<br><br>Colonizing at BR1
      colony ship. In most cases the BR <br>that brings the
      greatest return on your tech <br>investment is **NOT** the
      lowly BR1, but <br>something like the fourth root of
      the product of <br>the mineral and fuel ratings of
      the planet (as a <br>crude approximation). If you are
      concerned less <br>about tech level and more about pure
      ship <br>production, use the square root of the
      mineral
      of minerals and tech. The more the <br>merrier. Rule
      of thumb: if you have more <br>unexplored links than
      you can jump science ships <br>to in a single turn,
      you probably don't have <br>enough jumpgates
      they are also the key to fast economic
      growth.<br>There are two ways, not necessarily exclusive, to
      middle with lots of <br>links, trade with everybody and
      operate an <br>arsenal of jumpgates to flash-colonize
      everything <br>in sight. You can drop the colonies in a
      pointed stars). <br><br>Second, if you are on the map
      edge, you create <br>new planets (something which is
      probably pretty <br>obvious to you by now). I usually take
      builder <br>tech by BR5 or BR6 and if at peace, devote
      almost <br>my entire economy to creating
      planets.<br><br>(continued in next post)