Ideas for Promoting SC and Coaching

  • ottowan_empire
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2012
      Hello All,

      These last few days I've been considering what I can do to contribute to the SC community. I have been pondering the idea of working to promote the game as well as coaching players who desire it. Here are my ideas. If you could please address any concerns, thoughts, qualms then please do so.

      PROMOTING SC

      As I've tried to brush up on my game, I've been doing the endless search for strategies and tips across old websites, the forum, etc. What I've found is that most of the help offered is what was common or accessible at the time -- web pages providing these materials. Not only is this cumbersome for someone who is new to the game but difficult for even the avid player. This is not what is most accessible in terms of interaction and promotion for the game.

      I'm playing with the idea of creating videos on display, otherwise, known as VODs. For those who are unaware, a program is used to record the computer screen of the user and can even record audio via microphone. Therefore, while the game is being played the viewer can see both the actions taken place and here the commentary as well. The plan would be to play some short grudge matches initially and dictate the inner-dialogue as well as rationale of my play, attempting to keep the videos under 20 minutes. These videos would be assisting players who feel they could better their current skill levels. Later, once I have developed a system, a beginner's guide can be developed. These videos can be saved on Twitch or YouTube where they can grow in popularity (potentially) as well as easily accessible.

      COACHING

      For those who are interested in private coaching, I'm willing to do it for free but I only have limited time available. The way the coaching would work would be as follows --

      A new empire is created for the student. I enter their empire name to see their actions as well. We use Skype (free service) to play each other in a daily where we have the liberty of taking as much time as needed to discuss whatever needs to be addressed. In the end, the game is drawn so as to not inflate records, bridier, etc.

      The other option will be to have an agreeing third party who will play against the student knowing that I'm coaching the student. I will discuss strategy and such while s/he plays. These games will not be for bridier but I see no ethical issue with allowing it to play to victory.

      Of course, I would be willing to do the coaching more than likely on Saturdays. This can be arranged by e-mailing me at: taylor.brazil@... Feel free to send anyone my way if you think they may be interested.

      Thanks,

      I hope to hear your feedback

      Ottowan Empire
    • ottowan_empire
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2012
        Here is the link to my first VOD. It caught me off guard having two games start at once. I'm not accustomed to speaking to myself and/or working the program. The content will get better as time goes on.

        http://www.twitch.tv/taylosha/b/345518447