SC History

  • Jonathan Corbin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2012
      I was looking at some old SC stuff this week, and I realized that we are coming up on the 20th anniversary of Stellar Crisis. But when is the 20th anniversary? When did Stellar Crisis first appear?

      I found this archived usenet post from April 1, 1995:

      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!search/clebsh$20stellar$20conquest/rec.games.design/jAJSC5vat9c/OoVySxbXyRkJ

      Sylvan Clebsh announces the beta of Stellar Conquest (the game would later be renamed to Stellar Crisis to avoid confusion with an Avalon Hill board game, which coincidentally was also played as a PBEM game in the early '90s).

      To me, this is hard evidence that the game first appeared in April, 1995. Sylvan didn't make any reference to the game previously being available to the general public, so that leads me to believe that this was SC's public debut.

      From the SC Room History page (http://sc-room.stellar-crisis.net/SC.history.shtml),
      BigB claims he played in '93. The page also claims a public debut of February, 1995.

      I wasn't able to find any Usenet posts older than 1995 referencing Clebsh's Stellar Conquest. The Wayback Machine is useless for this, as its archive only goes back to '96.

      If we can establish a date, the 20th anniversary of Stellar Crisis could be a great opportunity to promote the game.

      --
      Jonathan Corbin <jonboy@...>
    • captain_wretch
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2012