Re: [Stellar Crisis Club] (From Jon)

  • ericjr77
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2011
      Players don't start games. The tournament handler does. Hence the problem. You can be in a game you don't know exists.

      The lag time I was talking about wasn't due to awol players, it was just due to the varying game length in a preliminary round. I have heard of tourney games as long as 291 turns. That's a long wait for the bracket-mate that won his game in 9 turns.

      The point of #3 wasn't that idlers are possible no matter how careful you are (which is true), it's that since they can do so much damage, we should try all reasonable measures to prevent them.

      The way the handler works (starting games without human intervention, which is very cool btw), the threshold of inattention required to create an idler has been lowered to unprecedented levels. A player who would normally never idle might do so here, just because the existence of the game is easier to miss than one you started or entered deliberately.

      --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, TheRealBigB <therealbigb@...> wrote:

      > I appreciate what you're saying, but I think #3 makes the point that
      > notification doesn't help if a player truly goes idle. I do agree that
      > notification between rounds is useful. To stop lag time there should be a
      > Statute of Limitations that if a player doesn't respond within an agreed up
      > time (before the tournament for all players) to start a game, they forfeit.
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM, ericjr77 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I understand that sentiment, but there are additional considerations at
      > > work here:
      > >
      > > 1) I've seen lags between rounds approaching TWO MONTHS in the past.
      > >
      > > 2) Tournaments are often at servers that I don't normally frequent on a
      > > daily basis. Sure, if I entered the tournament, I am going to check in daily
      > > regardless. However, I consider that a pretty lousy use of time, especially
      > > if I end up being the guy that has to wait two months.
      > >
      > > 3) In a grudge, it's no big deal, but in a multiplayer game, a tournament
      > > idler is a disaster that has no remedy. The idler isn't just "getting
      > > nailed", they are tipping the entire game. The first Yahoo tourney had one
      > > in a 5 way blood (despite heavy notification), and arguably, it affected the
      > > outcome.
      > >
      > > So, I say make every effort to notify. It's the polite way to run a
      > > tourney, because it's respectful of _all_ the participants.
      > >
      > > In the end, I recognize that the code may be too hard to be worth it.
      > > Either way, the tourney handler is a great tool to have. And I would
      > > probably still enjoy and appreciate a tourney that didn't notify. I just
      > > think it would be nice feature to have.
      > >
      > > And if the code doesn't do it, the tourney organizer could do it manually,
      > > assuming they managed to get the emails of the participants. (Maybe the
      > > admin could give the organizer access to a limited slice of the player
      > > database?)
      > >
      > > Eric
      > >

      > > --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, TheRealBigB <therealbigb@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I think I disagree on notification. If you are in a tournament and your
      > > > "FORGET" to check in, you deserve to "get nailed". Also, it could be a
      > > > tactic to play possum and make your opponent think you are not playing.
      > > > They might make a different move if they think you aren't updating. Just
      > > > like in a real war :)
      > > >
      > > > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM, ericjr77 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

    • Jonathan Corbin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2011
        Round 2 of the Beta Tournament has started! Be sure to login if you won your first round game or had a bye (Ares).

        --
        Jonathan Corbin <jonboy@...>
      • ericjr77
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
          Thanks Jon.

          I noticed that my first game was a bridier game, but not the second. I kinda figured it should be the same for all rounds, no?

          Though its an interesting question whether the tournament games should be bridier or not. I can see arguments both ways.
        • Jonathan Corbin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
            That's a bug. All the games should be bridier.

            On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:08:45 -0000