[Stellar Crisis Club] Re: Please Help Lugdunum Survive

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
      --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Graves"
      <lugdunum_sc@...> wrote:

      > Back then, what we were getting seemed to be worth the money. Now, I'm
      > not so sure. The reliability is still OK, but the performance seems to
      > me to be getting worse. Does anyone else feel that way? I don't play
      > blitzes at all, but I have the impression it would be difficult to get
      > updates done in time because the server keeps slowing down. Is that
      right?

      > Andy

      There is a significant lag every 30 minutes and also other times.
      Usually when a long lag occurs I look at my watch and it is XX:30.

      Some players have complained of missing a turn. I mostly make it
      unless I change my mind. Several times, I have made my choices then
      changed my mind. Chosen the minefield tech and then been stuck in a
      lag, the update eventually comes and I have been nuked out of the game.
    • Ryan
      Message 2 of 25 , May 19, 2008
        Greg did it work? my first time with paypal. it said it sent an
        email to you. please let me know if it worked or not

        as of 9am this morning I have become a free man (last week I missed
        a couple of luggy updates and I apologize). BigB, you still have any
        sucessful unmarried daughters? If not, I'll have to hit the town
        with Siz and look for girls (not the ones you pay for Mikey...)

        SWM/26 SEEKING FEMALE WHO SHARES SIMILAR INTEREST OF BASEBALL AND
        STRATEGIC NUCLEAR DOMINATION IN GRID FORM

        GW

        --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Nord"
        <life.incarnate@...> wrote:

        > Help Lugdunum Survive!
        > Andy Graves, Jan 5, 2004
        > (slightly edited by Greg Nord, February 18, 2007)
        >
        > Would you like to help Lugdunum to continue
        > providing Stellar Crisis services?
        > As well as the famous Lugdunum Stellar Crisis
        > Server, Lugdunum is home to The Stellar Crisis
        > Room, and several dedicated servers for SC
        > tournaments: Stellar Kings, the ISCL, the Yahoo!
        > SC Club Tournament, the Triplets Tournament and
        > the current Kaws Invitational.
        >
        > If you would like to make a contribution, you
        > can mail it to:
        >
        > Friends of Lugdunum
        > 1026 Dakota St.
        > Wenatchee WA 98801
        >
        > or use our Friends of Lugdunum PayPal account.

        > As the original Web-based strategy game, Stellar
        > Crisis has a long tradition, spanning over
        > fifteen years, of providing a gaming experience
        > which is free to play. For eight years, the
        > Lugdunum server has been an important part of that
        > tradition, and for more than six has been among
        > the most popular servers, for its wide variety of
        > game types, its high quality of competition, and
        > for its reliability and speed.
        >
        > These days, such reliability and speed do not come
        > free. In the past, fast and reliable SC servers
        > have been made possible by the generosity of
        > academic or commercial institutions who allowed SC
        > enthusiasts to use their resources. Lugdunum has
        > never been so fortunate. Nor is it one of those SC
        > servers which are behind a Cable Modem or DSL
        > connection to the Internet, with the speed and
        > reliability issues that arrangement entails. In
        > fact, the Lugdunum server is housed in an
        > enterprise-grade telecommunications center (in
        > Atlanta, Georgia) and leased for a monthly fee.
        >
        > For the last six years or more, this ongoing cost
        > has been borne by only a very few people - the
        > Friends of Lugdunum. This is a small group of
        > dedicated players who were invited to contribute,
        > and who rose to the invitation with magnificent
        > generosity. I do not know their names, but they
        > know who they are and I am immensely grateful to
        > them. Who has contributed, and how much, is known
        > only to the group treasurer, Greg Nord (aka
        > LifeIncarnate) who is also the Moderator of the
        > Yahoo! Stellar Crisis Club.
        >
        > Now we hope to spread this burden a little more
        > widely - and thinly - hence this appeal. If you
        > enjoy any of the Stellar Crisis services Lugdunum
        > offers, please consider making a donation. It
        > doesn't have to be much - every little helps. All
        > we ask is that if you use PayPal and intend to give
        > a regular small amount, please consider a larger
        > but less frequent donation, because PayPal's cut
        > of small transactions is significant. That is to
        > say, we would rather receive $12 per year than $1
        > per month!
        >
        > Please contact Greg (life.incarnate@...)
        > if you have any questions, such as about other
        > methods of making a donation. Thank you!

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 25 , May 19, 2008
          Ryan,

          Unfortunately for you, my 3 beautiful, successful daughters are all taken.  One is engaged to be married in Sept., while the other two have boyfriends.  Not that you stood a chance with them anyway :P

          My guess is that you will in fact need to hit up the play for pay girls.  Or try http://www.plentyoffish.com , it's free so you can prolly afford it ... hehehehehe

          BigB

          To: stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: crashnacho@...
          Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:34:25 +0000
          Subject: [Stellar Crisis Club] Luggy Appeal/Free Man

          <life.incarnate@ ...> wrote:

          > Help Lugdunum Survive!
          > Andy Graves, Jan 5, 2004
          > (slightly edited by Greg Nord, February 18, 2007)
          >
          > Would you like to help Lugdunum to continue
          > providing Stellar Crisis services?
          > As well as the famous Lugdunum Stellar Crisis
          > Server, Lugdunum is home to The Stellar Crisis
          > Room, and several dedicated servers for SC
          > tournaments: Stellar Kings, the ISCL, the Yahoo!
          > SC Club Tournament, the Triplets Tournament and
          > the current Kaws Invitational.
          >
          > If you would like to make a contribution, you
          > can mail it to:
          >
          > Friends of Lugdunum
          > 1026 Dakota St.
          > Wenatchee WA 98801
          >
          > or use our Friends of Lugdunum PayPal account.
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------
          >
          > As the original Web-based strategy game, Stellar
          > Crisis has a long tradition, spanning over
          > fifteen years, of providing a gaming experience
          > which is free to play. For eight years, the
          > Lugdunum server has been an important part of that
          > tradition, and for more than six has been among
          > the most popular servers, for its wide variety of
          > game types, its high quality of competition, and
          > for its reliability and speed.
          >
          > These days, such reliability and speed do not come
          > free. In the past, fast and reliable SC servers
          > have been made possible by the generosity of
          > academic or commercial institutions who allowed SC
          > enthusiasts to use their resources. Lugdunum has
          > never been so fortunate. Nor is it one of those SC
          > servers which are behind a Cable Modem or DSL
          > connection to the Internet, with the speed and
          > reliability issues that arrangement entails. In
          > fact, the Lugdunum server is housed in an
          > enterprise-grade telecommunications center (in
          > Atlanta, Georgia) and leased for a monthly fee.
          >
          > For the last six years or more, this ongoing cost
          > has been borne by only a very few people - the
          > Friends of Lugdunum. This is a small group of
          > dedicated players who were invited to contribute,
          > and who rose to the invitation with magnificent
          > generosity. I do not know their names, but they
          > know who they are and I am immensely grateful to
          > them. Who has contributed, and how much, is known
          > only to the group treasurer, Greg Nord (aka
          > LifeIncarnate) who is also the Moderator of the
          > Yahoo! Stellar Crisis Club.
          >
          > Now we hope to spread this burden a little more
          > widely - and thinly - hence this appeal. If you
          > enjoy any of the Stellar Crisis services Lugdunum
          > offers, please consider making a donation. It
          > doesn't have to be much - every little helps. All
          > we ask is that if you use PayPal and intend to give
          > a regular small amount, please consider a larger
          > but less frequent donation, because PayPal's cut
          > of small transactions is significant. That is to
          > say, we would rather receive $12 per year than $1
          > per month!
          >
          > Please contact Greg (life.incarnate@ ...)
          > if you have any questions, such as about other
          > methods of making a donation. Thank you!

        • liz.hogan_sc
          Message 4 of 25 , May 21, 2008
            --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <crashnacho@...> wrote:

            > SWM/26 SEEKING FEMALE WHO SHARES SIMILAR INTEREST OF BASEBALL AND
            > STRATEGIC NUCLEAR DOMINATION IN GRID FORM

            Oh, you silver-tongued romantic, you! What self-respecting sister
            could resist? =8^)

            Liz
          • Mikey
            Message 5 of 25 , May 21, 2008
              At 03:34 PM 5/19/2008, Ryan wrote:
              as of 9am this morning I have become a free man (last week I missed
              a couple of luggy updates and I apologize). BigB, you still have any
              sucessful unmarried daughters? If not, I'll have to hit the town
              with Siz and look for girls (not the ones you pay for Mikey...)

               Man Ryan, Not sure of why but really sorry if I think this means what I think it means. I still remember the wedding pics and how proud you were.. :(
              Anyway....  a couple thingys,,

              Your lucky..B would have killed me asking bout his daughters. Besides he moved from the east coast to the west coast. Traitor.
              Philly girls ..awlll riiight ..giggity giggity

              Remember all those things you ever wanted to do but never had the time or other reasons? Well, theirs no time like now. Like you said, your a free man now!
              oh and OK,, look, I don`t pay (much) :)

              And WHO is Liz.. what emp.. when joined..how old? ? J/K
                Mikey

              Ps.. Hope all is well Ryan

            • liz.hogan_sc
              Message 6 of 25 , May 22, 2008
                --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, Mikey <sizm@...> wrote:
                > And WHO is Liz.. what emp.. when joined..how old? ? J/K

                Who? Think of me as Joanna in the comic:

                http://xkcd.com/322/

                :)

                When joined this club? A few weeks ago, to ask a question about
                Cutthroat etiquette (is that an oxymoron?).

                When joined SC? - I dunno, 7 or 8 years ago. Played on and off (more
                off than on) as Scary Spice. I'm thinking of retiring that emp as I
                don't identify with Mel B quite as much now as I did as a teen :)

                How old? - Do the maths :)

                I'm surprised you didn't ask what I was wearing, stalkerboy! j/k

                Liz
              • Frank May
                Message 7 of 25 , May 22, 2008
                  Watch out for Liz, Mickey. I've played her a few times and shes ruthless. :)

                  "Imagination is more important than Knowledge" Albert Einstein

                  To: stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sizm@...
                  Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:32:05 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [Stellar Crisis Club] Luggy Appeal/Free Man

[...]

                • Marian McKillop and Allen Couroux
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 22, 2008

                    So have I.  Did not know that Scary Spice was from the BigB clan......

                    Would have surrendered much earlier had I known........

                    TRIAXX

                    Allen

                    To: stellarcrisisclub@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 22, 2008
                      --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Marian McKillop and Allen
                      Couroux" <spilky@...> wrote:

                      > Did not know that Scary Spice was from the BigB clan..

                      I think you must have misread something. Nobody said I was related
                      to BigB. I'm sure I'm not. I think I have some relations somewhere
                      in America, but I hear it's a big place with a lot of people, so it
                      would be quite a coincidence if B was one of them, wouldn't it?

                      And Frank - thanks for the testimonial. Now I'll never get any
                      allies :)

                      Queen Lizzy Hogan
                    • Greg Nord
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 22, 2008
                        wrote:

                        > Greg did it work? my first time with paypal. it said it sent an
                        > email to you. please let me know if it worked or not

                        i tried to reply to the email address i have for you, (Bentzdog,
                        etc), but maybe it's in the hands of the enemy now? Anyway, i guess
                        i'll have to use this forum. i've gotten no notice of an email. Maybe
                        by snail mail? Then PayPal doesn't take it's cut, (3%). :^(

                        And...

                        Kangaroos care born before thay have eyes.

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 24, 2008
                          <life.incarnate@...> wrote:
                          > And...
                          >
                          > Kangaroos care born before thay have eyes.

                          Interesting. But also, Kangaroos are born before they have eyes.

                          And...

                          For fun, those tough bargemen who long ago used to work the Erie
                          Canal went to Buffalo, N.Y. Specifically, to Goose Island, a place
                          where prostitutes abounded. It is to those women the frontiersmen
                          alluded when they sang, "Buffalo girls, won't you come out tonight..."

                        • Andy Graves
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 1, 2008
                            ---"Greg Nord" wrote:

                            > --- "Ryan" wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Greg did it work? my first time with paypal. it said it sent an
                            > > email to you. please let me know if it worked or not
                            >
                            > i've gotten no notice of an email.

                            Greg,

                            I just noticed that on the page you get when you click "Lugdunum
                            needs you Help!" on the Login page, the "Make a Donation" button was
                            set to send to your old (Verizon) e-mail address.

                            Ryan, is that what you used? That may explain why it didn't get
                            through.

                            Anyway, I fixed the button to point to the new Greg.
                            (Greg-Reincarnate :-p )

                            Andy
                          • Greg Nord
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 1, 2008
                              <lugdunum_sc@...> wrote:

                              > ---"Greg Nord" wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- "Ryan" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Greg did it work? my first time with paypal. it said it sent an
                              > > > email to you. please let me know if it worked or not
                              > >
                              > > i've gotten no notice of an email.
                              >
                              > Greg,
                              >
                              > I just noticed that on the page you get when you click "Lugdunum
                              > needs you Help!" on the Login page, the "Make a Donation" button
                              was
                              > set to send to your old (Verizon) e-mail address.

                              Arg. Good catch, Andy.

                              > Ryan, is that what you used? That may explain why it didn't get
                              > through.
                              >
                              > Anyway, I fixed the button to point to the new Greg.
                              > (Greg-Reincarnate :-p )
                              >
                              > Andy

                              As always, i am in your debt.

                              And...

                              According to the journal Current Biology, chimpanzees in Senegal have
                              been observed making spears out of tree branches, in order to hunt
                              other animals. After removing the leaves from a branch, the chimps
                              use their teeth to fashion a point at one end.