NEW TRICK ! Anticloaker Cloaker.

  • The Rulers
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      HI,

      I'm sure everybody here knows about the "Grion Trick" or the "Christmas Cloaker".
      everybody is familiar with Skai's Cloakers Tricks or the Gooseberry School : you know
      every ways to use cloakers, from "blasting the overbuild" to "the surprise party " !

      However, I just discovered a new way to use cloakers during one of my game and I don't
      think I ever saw it described anywhere. I call it the "Anticloaker cloaker" and it works quite
      fine !

      Although cloakers are primarily an offensive weapon, this trick is rather a defensive one.

      BUT first, the situation : My opponent and I have been fighting for quite a while without
      much result. I've got a small Tech edge and a very small Econ edge (I nuked one of his
      front systems, but it was so poor (8ag 6Min 9 Fuel) that we're still very close !). My
      opponent, however, was able to explore my backfield and has now a big advantage : none
      of the 3 systems he explored is a builder, and since I have already terraformed everything I
      could, none of these can be made a builder without me losing a lot of econ somewhere
      else. Furthermore these planets are still rich enough to tip the balance in his favor if he
      ever nukes one or two of these !

      At this moment my opponent sealed himself off with a neer and dismantled his fleet : We
      were both BR5 and quite far from being BR6. I was quite sure he had CLOAKS in my
      systems now, but could not guess how many nor what BR ! His mil Rating was 0 but he
      could have 1BR5 and 2 BR1, 3 BR1, or none at all. To cover the possible threats I had to
      keep 3 BR5 Attacks on duty. This was a dilemma ! Being equal in econ, I could not resume
      my offensive with 3 ships left behind. If I sent everything I had, he would just uncloak and
      nuke if he had cloakers. If i did nothing and waited, he would reach BR6 before me, he
      could even wait for BR7 !

      It looked like I was doomed sooner or later, but here is what I did :

      I quickly dismantled my fleet, and Built 3 BR1 Attacks and 3 BR5 Cloaks, this way it looked
      like I was covering the threat with Real full BR Attacks without giving out the cloaks. I
      moved one cloak on each system and waited a couple of updates (not to sound too
      obvious) then suddenly I broadcasted something like : " Doomed for doomed I have to try
      something !!! I will call your bluff ! ". And I overbuilt a Mix of BR1 and BR5 ships, with
      sweepers and Neer, and moved everything toward the Front, including the 3 attacks on
      cloaker duty.

      What does a player do when he has cloakers waiting on a non builder and no ships around
      nor even close, and he has an overbuilt maxed fleet coming at him ?

      Well, the answer is : he uncloaks all his cloakers, meanwhile he overbuilds a fleet of
      attacks big enough to stop yours.

      Then, what does he do, on the update, when he can see that you did not retreat your fleet
      and there are still no ships able to stop his cloakers ?

      Right...., he sets them to nuke and Broadcast : " You gambled and lost Rulers ! gg ! better
      luck next time :) "

      That's when you uncloak your anticloakers, dismantle your fake fleet, retreat your neer to
      seal off that link to your undefendable systems ! No More cloaker problem ever ! and your
      opponent is left with a huge BR5 Fleet while you reach BR6.

      As you can see, the Idea is very simple : use cloakers to incite your opponent to uncloaks
      all his cloakers and take them out all in one go ! As long as you keep Attacks around, he
      would never show his game, or could simply dismantle and get that tech edge ! Whereas if
      done properly, he'll never think you're defending with cloaks against his cloaks and will
      take any opportunity to nuke your systems as soon as he feel safe !

      What do you think of it ? Did you ever use it ?

      Now, End of the Story : I finally got him, with ... CLOAKS :)
    • Greg Nord
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        i think it's quite elegant, and i applaud you. And although i think
        that as long as SC has been around, *someone* probably did it, (or
        something like it), but i've sure never seen it documented.

        Cool. Just when you think just about everything has been talked out
        in SC, someone comes up with something that's never been discussed
        before. :^)

        And...

        According to the computer records of health agencies, Saturday
        afternoon, between 3 and 5PM holds a dubious distinction. That's when
        the most people are bitten...

        ... by other people...

        --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "The Rulers"