Re: ...Stellar Crisis Radio Commercial !!!

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Nord"
      <life.incarnate@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > i want to personally challenge you all to find a way to promote or
      > support Stellar Crisis. i firmly believe that we can create a
      > groundswell that will let this game explode into was it was just a
      > few years ago. You'd log onto a server, and have your *pick* of
      > games, because there was a much bigger player base. We need to build
      > that player base again, just like you build up an SC empire.
      >
      > Barnstorm internet communities, mail *personal* emails, (please, NO
      > spam), post flyers, stand on street corners and shout like a lunatic,
      > or just send money to Friends of Lugdunum, (Andy's paying *way* more
      > than his share of the bandwidth bill, IMHO), whatever's your style,
      > but DO it. And let's try to coordinate it for 2-6 weeks from today.
      > That gives you enough time to organize, but not lose momentum.
      >
      > And once this radio spot is made, we will probably be able to cut
      > multiple CDs to send to anyone else who's serious about giving
      > Stellar Crisis some "air time."
      >
      > Keep the ideas for the radio spot coming! And add to this groundswell
      > however you can. :^D

      I'll leave specific ideas for the radio commercial to others.
      Whatever we do come up with, there may be some internet radio stations
      we could place it at as well.

      Also, someone could design some "business cards" with a very brief
      description and URL. Good places to post or "hand out" such "flyers"
      would be gaming groups and conventions, and possibly internet cafes or
      colleges.

      As for URLs,
      http://www.stellar-crisis.net/SC.main.shtml
      appears to still be active, though likely not updated often (I still
      wonder if it's possible to get rid of the "entry tunnel" you have to
      "click through" if you just go to http://www.stellar-crisis.net ).
      or we could send people to this group.

      --Black Squirrels
    • lugdunum_sc
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2007
        --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <havspace@...> wrote:
        > As for URLs, http://www.stellar-crisis.net/SC.main.shtml
        > appears to still be active,

        Yes, it's active - it's hosted on the same server hardware as
        Lugdunum, so I'm in a position to take control of it or hand control
        to someone else.

        > though likely not updated often

        Al Camp used to be in charge of it but he abandoned it a year or two
        ago, I guess. I've tried to contact him to ask permission to update
        it, but I haven't had a reply. I'm keen to respect Al's copyright and
        not tread on his toes, if possible, because of the enormous amount of
        work he put into the Room and other aspects of the game over many
        years. But that said, if he's no longer interested, I feel justified
        in trying to find a way to keep it up to date, because it *is* an
        important resource for the game, by virtue of its presence on search
        engines.

        > (I still
        > wonder if it's possible to get rid of the "entry tunnel" you have to
        > "click through" if you just go to http://www.stellar-crisis.net ).

        Yes, it is. Good idea. I've done that. I've also updated the server
        list. Sadly, it's now just four servers long - Lugdunum, Falcon,
        Prometheus and Helium (listed in order of venerability). Is that
        right? Are there any other live servers out there that should be
        listed? Is Helium the right name or should it be called Homeserve?

        I don't see any point listing Byzantium, as it's just a test server.
        By the same argument, should I have left Prometheus off? Do people
        play there?

        Andy
      • Christopher Priest
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2007
          Great!. I suggested trying Al to get to you and your domain name. My point was
          why go after new names when you already have a good one.

          1) domain name
          > Yes, it's active - it's hosted on the same server hardware as
          > Lugdunum, so I'm in a position to take control of it or hand control
          > to someone else.

          stellar-crisis.net is the one to use due to it's ranking in google. SC-room is
          a subdomain and would be adjustable by Andy as the owner of the
          stellar-crisis.net domain. No permission would be required from Al on that. (we
          don't care about .com)

          I'm thinking there would be a common entry point that links to all the servers,
          perhaps even like the old open games list for all servers.

          2) sc-room URL
          DNS sleuth says there is no A DNS record for SC-room so I think there would be
          the apache entry something like this;

          <VirtualHost *>
          ServerName sc-room.stellar-crisis.net
          DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/sc-room/
          </VirtualHost>

          If the system admin adjusts the document root to remove the /sc-room then calls
          to sc-room would be served by the home page of stellar-crisis.net
          The apache section would look like;

          <VirtualHost *>
          ServerName sc-room.stellar-crisis.net
          DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/ <== only line changed
          </VirtualHost>

          3) sc-room copyright
          Although I feel that Al wouldn't mind you cleaning up something he did in 1997
          for a game he was clear he is done with, Try contacting him via
          http://www.seeinglight.com/webmaster.shtml Also try info@... as
          he appears to be the public relations chair... After that I don't feel you need
          permission as everything about it looks like a contribution rather than a
          property.

          4) sc-room content
          The help should be migrated to a wiki so that it can be easily updated. We can
          move only the contributed works and leave Al's work behind until permission is
          obtained if that is what you are comfortable with.

          I set up a wiki at http://www.homeserve.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php I used pmwiki
          because it was php and did not require a database.

          Wiki's allow all the users to contribute without programming or web design
          knowledge. Do we have any objections to a wiki? Any volunteers to
          contribute/manage the wiki?

          /Chris

        • lugdunum_sc
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2007
            --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Priest
            <christopherpriest@...> wrote:

            > Great!. I suggested trying Al to get to you and your domain name.

            I don't get it. If you wanted me, why did you ask for Al? :-/

            > My point was
            > why go after new names when you already have a good one.

            Well, I think Kia feels, and I agree, that for a radio ad,
            stellar-crisis.net isn't a great domain name. Even if the hyphen is
            mentioned, it will be forgotten, everyone will type stellarcrisis.net
            and that won't work.

            > 2) sc-room URL
            > DNS sleuth says there is no A DNS record for SC-room so I think
            there would be
            > the apache entry something like this;

            Chris, you mystify me sometimes. I'm standing right here - why are you
            telling me what DNS sleuth says, when you could just *ask*?

            OF COURSE there's a DNS A record for the SC Room:

            # dig sc-room.stellar-crisis.net a
            .
            .
            .
            ;; ANSWER SECTION:
            sc-room.stellar-crisis.net. 3600 IN A 66.132.233.46

            > <VirtualHost *>
            > ServerName sc-room.stellar-crisis.net
            > DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/ <== only line changed
            > </VirtualHost>

            I really don't understand what you're getting at with this, but don't
            worry, I'll sort something out. Preferably something that won't
            involve hyphens.

            > I set up a wiki at http://www.homeserve.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

            I think getting the SC Room content into the wiki is a great idea.
            I'll contribute whatever I think of. I made a small start with the
            server lists and text about Lugdunum. I hope I didn't foul anything up.

          • lugdunum_sc
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
              Kia,

              --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, kiayndr wrote:
              > Paul STRESSED simplicity, he suggested that someone create
              > a 'main page' (he even found out that 'StellarCrisis.com' was open
              > as a domain name, hint hint) that would redirect players to
              > Lugdunum...?

              As has been discussed, sadly this isn't true. "stellarcrisis.com" is
              owned by Mark Zaiser, a former player, and it points to one of the SC
              Room's former addresses, now defunct. We don't have control of
              stellarcrisis.com at present, though we may be able to get it.

              Meanwhile, I've obtained the domain "stellarcrisis.info" and pointed
              it to the SC Room, where I've updated the list of live servers. I hope
              that can be used in the commercial if we're unable to get access to
              "stellarcrisis.com".

              If there's a better 'main page' than the Room out there, please let me
              know and I'll repoint the stellarcrisis.info URL.

              Andy