THREAT TO INTERNET!!!

  • backstabber_sc
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hey everyone, this is something we need to act on immediately since
      it will affect us all.

      The United States Congress is working on emergency legislation to ban
      all non-business internet usage. They are doing this to free up
      bandwidth which is needed to support the war in Iraq since it is
      taking longer than planned. Commercial usage will be limitted to 2pm-
      5pm EST which corresponds to night hours in Iraq. NO private usage
      will be permitted, and no non-business traffic will be routed through
      United States routers. If we do not act right away, we will lose our
      ability to stop or reverse this. Once the military regains
      exclusive use of the internet, they are unlikely to give up that
      control. This has support of key government officials. Government
      watchdogs report "Rumsfield advised the senate armed forces committee
      that if they act now, one of the biggest mistakes in history could be
      reversed by April 6th. Rumsfeld reminded the committee that the
      internet was first and foremost a military application and as
      demonstrated less than a month ago, an extreme security risk if left
      open..." The Department of Homeland Security also backs this
      strongly as a means of fighting terrorism. Don't sit by and watch
      this happen. Get involved! If you are in the USA, contact your
      congressman and senators and demand they leave the internet for
      private use. Everyone can also contact the white house and ask that
      President Bush veto this. If you are not in the USA, call the US
      Embassy in your country and demand they leave the internet available
      for everyone. Also ask your own government to support a United
      Nations resolution opposing this action. Please encourage all your
      friends to call also. Together, we may be able to stop this.
      US Congress - http://www.house.gov/
      US Senate - http://www.senate.gov/
      White House - http://www.whitehouse.gov/
      United Nations - http://www.un.org/
    • Bill Landis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, backstabber_sc wrote:

        > Hey everyone, this is something we need to act on immediately since
        > it will affect us all.
        >
        > The United States Congress is working on emergency legislation to ban
        > all non-business internet usage.
        [...]

        Where did you come by this info? It definitely has the look and feel of a
        hoax or urban legend, and in about 10 minutes searching on the web I
        couldn't find anything about it.

        When "making shocking claims" the source of the information is of key
        importance. Without it there is no way to judge the credibility of the
        claim. This is especially true online where urban legends abound.

        -- Bill Landis -- blandis@...
      • ralof01
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        • Dan Beech
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
            --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, backstabber_sc
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hey everyone, this is something we need to act on immediately since
            > it will affect us all.
            >
            > The United States Congress is working on emergency legislation to
            ban
            > all non-business internet usage. They are doing this to free up
            > bandwidth which is needed to support the war in Iraq since it is
            > taking longer than planned. Commercial usage will be limitted to
            2pm-
            > 5pm EST which corresponds to night hours in Iraq. NO private usage
            > will be permitted, and no non-business traffic will be routed
            through
            > United States routers. If we do not act right away, we will lose
            our
            > ability to stop or reverse this.

            ****Very Funny! Backstabber is of course taking advantage of April
            fools day to make a few fools ;)

            Seriously, I heard that they were planning on implementing the draft
            this week. Taking any young college kids with screennames that begin
            with an Az.

            Beware the tall tale today,

            Havoc(Dan)
          • Greg Nord
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Hey everyone, this is something we need to act on immediately since
              > it will affect us all.
              >
              > The United States Congress is working on emergency legislation to
              ban
              > all non-business internet usage. They are doing this to free up
              > bandwidth which is needed to support the war in Iraq since it is
              > taking longer than planned. Commercial usage will be limitted to
              2pm-
              > 5pm EST which corresponds to night hours in Iraq. NO private usage
              > will be permitted, and no non-business traffic will be routed
              through
              > United States routers. If we do not act right away, we will lose
              our
              > ability to stop or reverse this. Once the military regains
              > exclusive use of the internet, they are unlikely to give up that
              > control. This has support of key government officials. Government
              > watchdogs report "Rumsfield advised the senate armed forces
              committee
              > that if they act now, one of the biggest mistakes in history could
              be
              > reversed by April 6th. Rumsfeld reminded the committee that the
              > internet was first and foremost a military application and as
              > demonstrated less than a month ago, an extreme security risk if
              left
              > open..." The Department of Homeland Security also backs this
              > strongly as a means of fighting terrorism. Don't sit by and watch
              > this happen. Get involved! If you are in the USA, contact your
              > congressman and senators and demand they leave the internet for
              > private use. Everyone can also contact the white house and ask
              that
              > President Bush veto this. If you are not in the USA, call the US
              > Embassy in your country and demand they leave the internet
              available
              > for everyone. Also ask your own government to support a United
              > Nations resolution opposing this action. Please encourage all your
              > friends to call also. Together, we may be able to stop this.
              > US Congress - http://www.house.gov/
              > US Senate - http://www.senate.gov/
              > White House - http://www.whitehouse.gov/
              > United Nations - http://www.un.org/

              Thanks for alerting us to this terrible threat. Gee, two minutes into
              April 1st... Nahhh... this sounds GENUINE...

              And...

              A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why...
            • Michael LaMay
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
                --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Nord "
                <life.incarnate@v...> wrote:
                > A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why...

                I must be no one.... A ducks quack is a freak of nature... it is a
                series of sounds that, when sent in the series, and at the pitch
                which only a duck can do, actually cancel each other out when they
                collide with each other after bouncing off of something else. By
                canceling the sound waves, they are never heard again.

                And please don't ask me to repeat that.