[Stellar Crisis Club] Re: Lysator MKII (was nice icon!)

  • alexia_sc
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., "Rude Sandelius" <rude@b...> wrote:
      > I don't think it will ever be back. The Hedbors have moved on to
      > other things. David has moved to Seattle with his wife doing
      > software
      > things and Per have other projects on his mind. There were a few
      > hacks at Lysator involved as well with SC MkII but with the
      > principals behind the server gone the project it done, finito.

      Of course, someone could take the code and start his own server.
      Better yet, one could port it so that it runs on more than one
      configuration and start hacking away at it for guaranteed hours of
      fun. I wonder if this is possible. Hmmm.

      Nahh...

      - Aleks :P
    • alajar
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alexia_sc <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Of course, someone could take the code and start his own server.
        > Better yet, one could port it so that it runs on more than one
        > configuration and start hacking away at it for guaranteed hours of
        > fun. I wonder if this is possible. Hmmm.
        >
        > Nahh...
        >
        > - Aleks :P

        I just looked around and I couldn't find the MkII source code
        anywhere. The Idonex.se FTP site that everyone links to appears to
        be down, and I couldn't find a mirrored copy anywhere.

        Not that I'm interested in hosting an MkII server, but the fact of
        the matter is that we keep losing access to source code and other
        resources when people disappear from the scene. I find this
        disappointing. When we have a free resource like SourceForge
        available that provides a more or less permanent storage location
        for source code and resources, there's no reason for us to keep
        losing important files or important history.

        Another scary thing: go to the SC Room's download page and see how
        many of those links work. Out of twelve, I only found one that was
        responsive (Andy Graves' link, of course).

        Aleks, have you released the source to your game? If not, and you
        intend for it to be open source, you should really create an SF
        project for it. The world will thank you for it later.
      • alexia_sc
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alajar <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I just looked around and I couldn't find the MkII source code
          > anywhere. The Idonex.se FTP site that everyone links to appears to
          > be down, and I couldn't find a mirrored copy anywhere.

          I still have it. I don't know if it's the latest one though, it's
          dated at February 1st 1998. In any case, I believe it's a working
          copy but I can't test it. Should I put it up for download?

          > Not that I'm interested in hosting an MkII server, but the fact of
          > the matter is that we keep losing access to source code and other
          > resources when people disappear from the scene. I find this
          > disappointing. When we have a free resource like SourceForge
          > available that provides a more or less permanent storage location
          > for source code and resources, there's no reason for us to keep
          > losing important files or important history.
          >
          > Another scary thing: go to the SC Room's download page and see how
          > many of those links work. Out of twelve, I only found one that was
          > responsive (Andy Graves' link, of course).

          True. The original code is very hard to get ahold off nowadays. What
          I have is 2.8 (Jan 30 1997) and 2.8.2 (Jun 15 1998). How times flies.

          > Aleks, have you released the source to your game? If not, and you
          > intend for it to be open source, you should really create an SF
          > project for it. The world will thank you for it later.

          Yeah, I keep putting this off. I did create an account with SF but it
          just seemed more trouble than it was worth at the time. The usual
          excuse is "I need to clean this up before releasing".

          Yes yes, I know, the whole point of open-source code. :)

          - Aleks
        • Ah
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2002
            > True. The original code is very hard to get ahold off nowadays. What
            > I have is 2.8 (Jan 30 1997) and 2.8.2 (Jun 15 1998). How times flies.

            I have a copy of 2.7 dated June 96. I suspect BigB (among others) may have
            older copies. (I also have 2.9, 3.0 I think. I don't seem to have 2.8 around
            anywhere. Go figure.) I can upload the copies I have to the SC Club if anyone
            is interested.

            > > Aleks, have you released the source to your game? If not, and you
            > > intend for it to be open source, you should really create an SF
            > > project for it. The world will thank you for it later.

            I have a copy, so you'll have to get both of us if you want to wipe it out. :^)

            > Yeah, I keep putting this off. I did create an account with SF but it
            > just seemed more trouble than it was worth at the time. The usual
            > excuse is "I need to clean this up before releasing".
            >
            > Yes yes, I know, the whole point of open-source code. :

            Hey! Maybe we can get somebody to do the documenting neither of us has
            stopped to do. (Of course, considering that the 3.0 ships still haven't made it
            into the "official" FAQ, maybe not.)

            -Ah
          • alexia_sc
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., "Ah" <empire_ah@4...> wrote:
              > I have a copy of 2.7 dated June 96. I suspect BigB (among others)
              > may have older copies. (I also have 2.9, 3.0 I think. I don't seem
              > to have 2.8 around anywhere. Go figure.) I can upload the copies I
              > have to the SC Club if anyone is interested.

              I set up an anonymous FTP account on my server. MKII is there if
              anyone wants it (ftp://ftp.aleks.ca). Ah, could you upload 2.7?

              We should get a mirror for all these files and update the links at
              the SC Room. Does SourceForge allow this without a project? I have a
              few places where we could store them.

              - Aleks
            • alajar
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2002
                --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alexia_sc <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > We should get a mirror for all these files and update the links at
                > the SC Room. Does SourceForge allow this without a project? I have
                > a few places where we could store them.

                Well, there is already a classic SC project (http:
                //sourceforge.net/projects/sc-original/) owned by Andy, Del and a few others. It would make sense to me for them to host the source to all older SC versions in the same project. There's no real downside to it, as the files are small and SourceForge doesn't seem to have noticeable space usage constraints anyway.

                As for MkII, since it's pretty much dead code it should probably be
                stored in the same place. No reason to create a new inert project
                for it.

                The SC Room can then simply link to the SourceForge project.

                Anyway, we now have the following SC versions:

                2.2
                2.22
                2.3
                2.4
                2.5
                2.6
                2.7
                2.8
                2.81
                2.82
                2.90
                3.01.11
                MkII beta 1
                3.2.15 (of course)

                So what are we missing? From what I can tell:

                - Versions prior to 2.2
                - The versions of 2.8x after 2.82 and before Iceberg's fork/rewrite.
                - The final version of 2.9x
                - The final version of 3.1x (assuming this existed - I don't recall)
                - Other versions of MkII.

                I'm sure we can recover a few of these. Anyone?
              • oribt1701
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 5, 2002
                  --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., "hastur_sc" <hastursc@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., backstabber_sc <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., oribt1701 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > > yep, who was the admin? anybody found out anything?
                  > new

                  > > been

                  > > At the time it was shut down, the admin posted that he had
                  > completed
                  > > degree work and was moving on to other things. He had no plans
                  > > set up another SC server someplace else.
                  >
                  > well, he should have postponed his degree work...and allowed us our
                  > pleasure.... :)

                  i agree with that :)
                • oribt1701
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 5, 2002
                    --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alajar <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alexia_sc <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > We should get a mirror for all these files and update the links
                    at
                    > > the SC Room. Does SourceForge allow this without a project? I have
                    > > a few places where we could store them.
                    >
                    > Well, there is already a classic SC project (http:
                    > //sourceforge.net/projects/sc-original/) owned by Andy, Del and a
                    few others. It would make sense to me for them to host the source to
                    all older SC versions in the same project. There's no real downside
                    to it, as the files are small and SourceForge doesn't seem to have
                    noticeable space usage constraints anyway.

                    > As for MkII, since it's pretty much dead code it should probably be
                    > stored in the same place. No reason to create a new inert project
                    > for it.
                    >
                    > The SC Room can then simply link to the SourceForge project.
                    >
                    > Anyway, we now have the following SC versions:
                    >
                    > 2.2
                    > 2.22
                    > 2.3
                    > 2.4
                    > 2.5
                    > 2.6
                    > 2.7
                    > 2.8
                    > 2.81
                    > 2.82
                    > 2.90
                    > 3.01.11
                    > MkII beta 1
                    > 3.2.15 (of course)
                    >
                    > So what are we missing? From what I can tell:
                    >
                    > - Versions prior to 2.2
                    > - The versions of 2.8x after 2.82 and before Iceberg's fork/rewrite.
                    > - The final version of 2.9x
                    > - The final version of 3.1x (assuming this existed - I don't recall)
                    > - Other versions of MkII.
                    >
                    > I'm sure we can recover a few of these. Anyone?

                    that be nice, but i don't know nothing about computers. thou my
                    brother managed take take a virused cp & take it apart & put back
                    together & it worked a time before it went crashing. he taking
                    compter class, & his friend managed to fix this cp after minor
                    trouble. try talking to usrhlp@..., who seem interested in
                    creating a game site of his own. it's worth a try, or start untill we
                    do find somebody.
                  • oribt1701
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 6, 2002
                      --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., oribt1701 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alajar <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In stellarcrisisclub@y..., alexia_sc <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > We should get a mirror for all these files and update the links
                      > at
                      > > > the SC Room. Does SourceForge allow this without a project? I
                      have
                      > > > a few places where we could store them.
                      > >
                      > > Well, there is already a classic SC project (http:
                      > > //sourceforge.net/projects/sc-original/) owned by Andy, Del and a
                      > few others. It would make sense to me for them to host the source
                      > all older SC versions in the same project. There's no real
                      downside
                      > to it, as the files are small and SourceForge doesn't seem to have
                      > noticeable space usage constraints anyway.
                      > >
                      > > As for MkII, since it's pretty much dead code it should probably
                      be
                      > > stored in the same place. No reason to create a new inert project
                      > > for it.
                      > >
                      > > The SC Room can then simply link to the SourceForge project.
                      > >
                      > > Anyway, we now have the following SC versions:
                      > >
                      > > 2.2
                      > > 2.22
                      > > 2.3
                      > > 2.4
                      > > 2.5
                      > > 2.6
                      > > 2.7
                      > > 2.8
                      > > 2.81
                      > > 2.82
                      > > 2.90
                      > > 3.01.11
                      > > MkII beta 1
                      > > 3.2.15 (of course)
                      > >
                      > > So what are we missing? From what I can tell:
                      > >
                      > > - Versions prior to 2.2
                      > > - The versions of 2.8x after 2.82 and before Iceberg's
                      fork/rewrite.
                      > > - The final version of 2.9x
                      > > - The final version of 3.1x (assuming this existed - I don't
                      recall)
                      > > - Other versions of MkII.
                      > >
                      > > I'm sure we can recover a few of these. Anyone?
                      >
                      > that be nice, but i don't know nothing about computers. thou my
                      > brother managed take take a virused cp & take it apart & put back
                      > together & it worked a time before it went crashing. he taking
                      > compter class, & his friend managed to fix this cp after minor
                      > trouble. try talking to usrhlp@y..., who seem interested in
                      > creating a game site of his own. it's worth a try, or start untill
                      we
                      > do find somebody.

                      usrhlp@... did a degree in computing, would like to admin
                      lysater mkII, He would do it if need to be & asks what sorta skills
                      would need to admin it & how often would haffta admin it. All he
                      needs is a spare machine or anything like that, & he dosen't have a
                      dedicated connection to the net.
                    • lugdunum_sc
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 10, 2002
                        Max,

                        --- In stellarcrisisclub@yahoogroups.com, alajar wrote:

                        > So what are we missing? From what I can tell:
                        >
                        > - Versions prior to 2.2

                        I think I saw a v2.1 once. I'm sure I've never seen any v1.x code.

                        > - The versions of 2.8x after 2.82 and before Iceberg's fork/rewrite.

                        The people I'd expect to have those handy include Jerome Agt, Aliza
                        Buglady, Bryan Bush and Wolfgang.

                        > - The final version of 2.9x

                        That must be whatever Cybernex is running. Let's ask Rowan.

                        > - The final version of 3.1x (assuming this existed - I don't recall)

                        The last 3.01.x was the beta for 3.2.0, so no, not in the sense that
                        we made a final 3.1 release and then left it alone for a long time.

                        I have archives containing everything from 3.01.3 to 3.01.25, and from
                        3.2.0 to 3.2.16, complete, including some interesting anomolies where
                        Rowan and I got confused and forked ourselves by accident :)

                        > - Other versions of MkII.

                        I've got a version dated Oct 1 2000. Is that something different from
                        what other people have? If so, I can throw it in the pot.
                      • backstabber_sc
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 10, 2002
                          I'll have to look again sometime. I remember downloading several
                          versions of source code. Unfortunately, I am not sure how easily I
                          can read my backups with them. I used (I think) the Win95 backup
                          utility to back my PC up to a server drive and then burned a CD with
                          just that file. Two problems encountered on last attempt to recover
                          files from the backup:
                          1) Invalid Drive - is it looking for a match on the drive letter or
                          disk name? I cannot find a reference for this on Win95 backup. I
                          can't remember the exact error, I'll have to check it sometime. Not
                          sure how to get around the error, no options presented.
                          2) Password - There are several versions of the backup. Some have
                          long-forgotten passwords.

                          BackStabber