Questions

  • macannadh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2002
      Friends: I appreciated the input from Br. Ron and Starman with
      regard to the "apparent" irreconcilibilty of two spiritual paths. If
      I may, two questions: Br. Ron, by the "historical process and the
      validity of Tradition as it relates to Christ" do you mean the
      ongoing authenticity of sacramentalism?
      Starman: Your view strikes me as intelligent and plausible,
      especially the reference to 'evil' being a good that is not in its
      proper place. Can you be more specific as to how the "present
      scandals enveloping the old Church show this"?...regards, Macannadh
    • Br. Ron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2002

        Macannadh posts:

            >..Br. Ron, by the "historical process and the
            >validity of Tradition as it relates to Christ" do you mean
            >the ongoing authenticity of sacramentalism?

        Hi Macannad
        No, not necessarily...although I do believe there is such a
        stream of sacredness running through linear time, it's
        fairly apparent that the Church has not succeeded in always
        holding to this radiant ray.

        Nor as a former monk, I can't ignore the terrible errors so obvious
        within the cloister over the centuries. But see no point in
        wholly banishing the traditional past in our impatient quest forward.

        After all, an unbroken scriptural record and identification
        with the errors and successes of our spiritual ancestors is one
        of the things that sets the Judeo/Christian path apart from all
        other cultural memes.

        If our feet were held to the fire, there would be few of us
        who would deny that it is really 'Beauty' Herself that we
        collectively place upon the Altar of our Devotions.
        And if we were to reject the roots of this tradition,
        it would be equivalent to burning down the astral museums
        which hold the breathtaking artistic fruits
        of Catholic devotion for the last 20 centuries.

        If we were to pull that 'old tree' out by the roots, we would
        have to, by proxy, reject all the august worship contained within
        the paintings of Raphael, Michelangelo and Da Vinci as well as the
        haunting movements of Schubert's Ave Maria and Gabrielli's and Verdi's incredibly moving Requiems.

        I realise that of all the 'Steinerites,' I am no probably alone
        in my desire to see the Tree of the Church merely pruned rather
        than entirely dug out by the roots and burned.

        But such difference of opinion is what adds color to these wonderful
        forums.

        Love

        Br. Ron

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2002
          macannadh@... writes:
          Starman:  Your view strikes me as intelligent and plausible,
          especially the reference to 'evil' being a good that is not in its
          proper place.  Can you be more specific as to how the "present
          scandals enveloping the old Church show this"?...regards, Macannadh

          *******For comparison, Dr. Steiner, when the first Waldorf School was being set up, insisted its being co-educational was "a requirement of the age". He said there would of course be liasons between the high school boys and girls, and they would be criticized for it, but there was no other way. Similarly, if you dwell on the meaning of Martin Luther and the entire Protestant Reformation, one central point is surely that one can still experience the Divine while being a sexual being. Celibacy is for a few only, and in fact in original Christianity was usually chosen AFTER a man had reached age 40 and raised a family and all his normal earthly duties. Ministers and rabbis are not all going to hell, nor are the congregations they counsel spiritually; but the Vatican is still holding on to a tradition established very late in the Dark Ages... holding on to it so fiercely that they have turned a blind eye to the homosexuality in seminaries and pederasty among practicing priests, in the name of some "higher good." Thus does good become evil.
              The modern "Rosicrucian" path involves standing in the midst of modern life, not running away from it--- and the vast majority of modern people need to have a spiritual path within normal life, including an outlet for their natural sexual drives. By refusing to recognize this, the Roman religion has worked untold evil.
             We won't even get started about why they believe women are still too inferior to do their old rituals....