Re: [steiner] Tomberg

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2002
      macannadh@... writes:

      > Dear Starman: I remained impressed by your role as moderator. There's a reasonableness to it. I ask you to apply that reason to the following: A practicing Catholic takes up Anthroposophy. A priest, with some theological training, in speaking of the "conversion" says that it "speaks volumes about someone's level of development or rather lack of it."
      > That priest might be justified if he had, in fact, a thorough background in Anthroposophy and could, in fact, "speak volumes". Yes?
      > So, it seems to me, anyone who would make such a judgement would have to be thoroughly grounded in both spiritual paths.
      > Fairly, Starman, anyone who read "Meditiations on the Tarot" would not conclude that the person who wrote it was an
      > "uninspired copy cat of Dr. Steiner".
      > What do you think?

      *******I read it many years ago and was not particularly impressed by it being any much better or worse than any other book on Tarot. I read the Tarot, so I confess at once my bias in favor of what could be used to help individuals: just as, with the many very head-oriented books on 'astrosophy', I would be hard pressed to use it practically to gain insight into a horoscope, I didn't find much there of superior insight into these occult fields, as with a real initiate. And yes, it struck me as all derivative of Steiner.

      I'll also confess my bias that the analogy of going from spiritual science to a religion like Catholicism, is not the equivalent of the reverse path. Spiritual Science is not a religion with a creed demanding blind faith in its dogma. I believe graduating out of any such religion is a step forward for modern man. I've met more people open to the spirit who are pagan or agnostic, than adherents of religions.

      Moreover the analogy also fails, I think, in my own role: as a former altar boy who was indeed 'grounded in the Catholic faith", I feel I can pretty well judge its value compared to anthroposophy. I find it, as we now so sadly see, based on massive repression.

      Perhaps Mr. Tomberg has just been ill-served by the people who seem to get into him, many of whom have not shown much evidence of being on a spiritual path, as have the many anthroposophists I've known. So, instead of an oblique attempt to champion whatever he wrote, why not tell us about it?