Re: Powell

  • evlogite
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2002
      Hi:

      Robert Powell is a mathematician and historian of astronomy who has
      published works on the history of the zodiac and the planets. He was
      born in Reading, England and founded the Mercury Star Journal back in
      the 70's, if I recall. He was closely associated with Willi Sucher
      and was instrumental in having the Goetheanum reasess the work of
      Willi Sucher during Easter 1978 (it had been neglected uby Dornach up
      until that point in time). If you study the works of Lili Vreede and
      WIlli Sucher, you can see that Robert Powell continues many of the
      tasks that they set forth for a rebirth of star wisdom in this
      century (by Vreede).

      By the time that I first met him in 1978, Robert was studying
      eurythmy in Dornach and he had come across the work of Valentin
      Tomberg, whose Anthroposophical Studies on the Old and New
      Testaments, as well as the Book of Revelation were translated into
      English by that time. Robert made contact with many of those who had
      known VT (he died in the 70's, if I recall correctly) and became
      aware of a number of unpublished works of
      his. Robert translated the book, known in English as "Meditations on
      the Tarot." He is deeply connected to the spirit of this work and I
      might say, close to the inspirational source behind the book.
      Aside from work as a curative eurthymist, Robert is also co-founder
      of the Sophia Foundation of North America. I believe this is path is
      a resurrection of the mysteries of Isis, in a modern, esoteric
      Christian form. Robert has published a number of books in this vein,
      from his Hermetic Astrology series to his works on Sophia. He has
      developed his own form of Sacred Dance, which combines his work in
      the fields of sophiology, movement, and the stars. Robert Powell is
      a genuine spiritual force with a great creative output. One may not
      always agree with him, but his work is original yet traditional, but
      never derivative. I hope he doesn't mind me saying.
      RP lives in Kinsau, south of Munich. He is currently touring the West
      Coast, lecturing and teaching sacred movement.

      I would be remiss if I didn't include this:
      One of, if not THE central element in Robert Powell's work is the
      return of Christ in the etheric.

      evlogite

      --- In steiner@y..., DRStarman2001@a... wrote:
      > macannadh@y... writes:
      > >
      > > Dear Starman: Am I being impertinent by asking for your
      objective
      > > judgment regarding the work of another teacher? If not, will you
      > > give forth on the work of Robert Powell?
      > >

      > *******Well, all I know of him is some articles on Astrosophy he
      wrote for
      > the Mercury Star Journal years ago and his book "Hermetic
      Astrology, Vol. 1".