Re: [steiner] Powell

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2002
      macannadh@... writes:

      Dear Starman:  Am I being impertinent by asking for your objective
      judgment regarding the work of another teacher?  If not, will you
      give forth on the work of Robert Powell?

      *******Well, all I know of him is some articles on Astrosophy he wrote for the Mercury Star Journal years ago and his book "Hermetic Astrology, Vol. 1". I found it, like all the astrosophy I've yet read, to be all right as a beginning of restoring the science of astrology, but too much merely derived from lots of reading of Steiner rather than having any sign of the direct insight into the levels of the cosmos that a real astrologer must seek for. I've recently heard he's apparently made himself quite unpopular over some things he's written, but I don't know what they are or why. I hear that he's supposedly a follower of this fellow named Tomberg, who seems to me merely an uninspired copycat of Dr. Steiner like Max Heindel (he rejected the Anthroposophical Society to rejoin what he regarded as superior, namely the Catholic Church---which I'd say speaks volumes about someone's level of development, or rather lack of it). Perhaps someone here could tell us more about Mr. Powell.

      Dr. Starman
    • evlogite
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2002
        Hi:

        Robert Powell is a mathematician and historian of astronomy who has
        published works on the history of the zodiac and the planets. He was
        born in Reading, England and founded the Mercury Star Journal back in
        the 70's, if I recall. He was closely associated with Willi Sucher
        and was instrumental in having the Goetheanum reasess the work of
        Willi Sucher during Easter 1978 (it had been neglected uby Dornach up
        until that point in time). If you study the works of Lili Vreede and
        WIlli Sucher, you can see that Robert Powell continues many of the
        tasks that they set forth for a rebirth of star wisdom in this
        century (by Vreede).

        By the time that I first met him in 1978, Robert was studying
        eurythmy in Dornach and he had come across the work of Valentin
        Tomberg, whose Anthroposophical Studies on the Old and New
        Testaments, as well as the Book of Revelation were translated into
        English by that time. Robert made contact with many of those who had
        known VT (he died in the 70's, if I recall correctly) and became
        aware of a number of unpublished works of
        his. Robert translated the book, known in English as "Meditations on
        the Tarot." He is deeply connected to the spirit of this work and I
        might say, close to the inspirational source behind the book.
        Aside from work as a curative eurthymist, Robert is also co-founder
        of the Sophia Foundation of North America. I believe this is path is
        a resurrection of the mysteries of Isis, in a modern, esoteric
        Christian form. Robert has published a number of books in this vein,
        from his Hermetic Astrology series to his works on Sophia. He has
        developed his own form of Sacred Dance, which combines his work in
        the fields of sophiology, movement, and the stars. Robert Powell is
        a genuine spiritual force with a great creative output. One may not
        always agree with him, but his work is original yet traditional, but
        never derivative. I hope he doesn't mind me saying.
        RP lives in Kinsau, south of Munich. He is currently touring the West
        Coast, lecturing and teaching sacred movement.

        I would be remiss if I didn't include this:
        One of, if not THE central element in Robert Powell's work is the
        return of Christ in the etheric.

        evlogite