Re: [steiner] introduction

  • Ashley Case
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

      thank you, christine!  i will respond in full tonight after i get my kids to bed, LOL.  is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private?  i'd hate to hog the group or break group etiquette.

      let me just vent for a moment, though.  usually every saturday i am away all day at my waldorf teacher training.  we are on break for the summer now, and by 9:00 this morning i had already thoroughly remembered why i am separated from my husband.  his multiple-choice conversational style just makes me sick.  he has already admitted that he speaks this way so that he can have the correct answer to his credit.  i draw a breath to answer him, and the question has already evolved to B and C .. so i exhale and refuse to answer.  he has many forms of this behavior .  let me mention that is is an attorney (Columbia/Stanford educated).

      i'm on my way out to a baby shower now but will reply again later.  thanks!
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002
        In a message dated Sat, 15 Jun 2002 2:23:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ashley.case@... writes:

        > . is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private? i'd hate to
        > hog the group or break group etiquette.

        *******It won't be "hogging" the group. Like the Anthroposophical Society, it doesn't exist for us to meet its standards, but to serve US in our spiritual path.

        Starman
      • Ashley Case
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

          Thanks, Doc .  I'll be looking forward to it for my free time tonight.

          Meanwhile, I am *not* liking the onset of summer.  I love autumn.

          is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private?  i'd hate to
          > hog the
          group or break group etiquette.

          *******It won't be "hogging" the group. Like the Anthroposophical Society, it doesn't exist for us to meet its standards, but to serve US in our spiritual path.

          Starman

          Post to steiner@egroups.com

          Search the archives of the group at:

          Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        • golden3000997@cs.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002
            Hi Ashley! Those questions were simply for you to ponder, not to answer to me
            or anyone else. Some issues perhaps to take up with your husband.

            Speaking of your husband - OH, that explains a lot! : )

            I have been of the opinion for a long time that when they go to law school,
            it fries every brain cell they have except the ones they need to remember the
            laws. Have you tried...
            1. Laughing in his face
            2. Asking him questions in the same format
            3. Asking him "Do you speak to clients that way? Oh yeah? What are you REALLY
            doing to make money?"

            Does he speak to the children that way? His colleagues? His parents? Is he on
            some kind of power trip with you and thinks he's advanced? Is he just an
            arrogant SOB? What is he trying to prove?

            There must have been something there when you married him. Has he changed, or
            did you just not notice it before?

            If he really does this to everyone (which I find hard to believe) tell him he
            needs to go back to college and take Communications 101 - the remedial level!

            Nevertheless, if this is the major problem, and especially if it has not
            always been there, it is something that can be worked on. Remember, there
            will be something like this with every man you meet. Don't use someone else
            as an escape at this point, it will just confuse the issue. The other guy is
            not made out of soap, he won't wear out.

            You can e-mail me directly at Golden3000997@... if you want to. I am sure
            that plenty of other people will be giving you their feedback, too.

            Best wishes,
            Christine
          • Ashley Case
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

              What a deliciously self-indulgent excercise, to consider your list of questions!  My IRL housewife friends *bristle* at the mention of my marital and personal problems.  I have attached my answers in a MS Word document.  Thanks again, Christine!  I look forward to knowing you better on this list.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                Hi Ashley and Christine,

                       You remind me of all the reasons why I've  loved the Steiner people in my life.  As a community of spiritual friends I've always found them frank , wholesome, open,  inspiring,  gentle yet passionate, and almost always uplifting to be around - both your posts left me with a smile and made me think - and even more amazingly got me to post instead of lurk!

                       Your situation, Ashley, has *some* similarities to my own, except that, being male,  a few of the perspectives are a little different.    I was haunted by your description of  the "spark" going out of your relationship - about 18 months ago the same thing led to the break-up of me and my de-facto, Gail,  of five years.  There is a particular type of sadness when a relationship that was full of life and vitality quietly ebbs away to nothingness.

                        I identify with some of both you and your husbands situation.  Perhaps my situation might add another angle of view on his.  Like him I was in a pressured job - I was a sales manager and had to do a lot of international travel.  I too would come home a sit in front of the TV.  I found the corporate world sufficiently stressful that I needed to mentally "anaesthetize" myself to recouperate enough to face the next day and the TV was just right for the job - it seemed less harmful than drinking.   We had talked about putting in a few very hard working years to get ourselves into a financially secure position   and I think I was mentally prepared to "tough it out" for that long - but over about 2 years of this we became distant and started to fight.  It seemed that one of the essential problems was that in a stressful job it is MUCH harder to find the time and energy for romance and passion - previously I'd put a lot more energy focussing on her and making her feel special and loved and making her laugh - now I had transferred that energy into our mutual goal of achieving financial security.    Perhaps the old saying "you marry the job too" applies both in your situation and mine.   I always found that when she expressed fear and concern about security issues, particularly about money,  I would react by putting in even longer hours at work to try and "do something" to fix the cause of the insecurity.  It is a perhaps part of the male protective instinct that when your mate feels insecure then all other matters become secondary until you restore that sense of security.  I wonder if any of that happens with you and your husband.

                        Looking back on the situation with hindsight I guess I needed either a job that was compatable with my wife, or a wife that was compatable with my job.

                       The issue of romance and passion is one I strive to understand more than I do - particularly from a spiritual point of view.  Steiner embraced both Christianity and Buddhism - and I was educated in a Waldorf school and later become a serious Buddhist for several years.  But it seems to me that there are quite different views on an issue like Passion between Christianity and Buddhism and I don't as yet know if and how Steiner resolves these.   Buddha taught that passion is a manifestation of craving and craving leads to suffering and blocks the path the Nirvana. He taught that we should be aware of passions arising within us without reacting to them so that the passions lose power and dissapate.  I remember attending a 10-day meditation course and at the end of each day people would ask the teacher questions.  One day a woman came up and asked what the problem was with passion and the teacher answered more or less as above, to which she replied "but I LIKE it!"  It really stuck in my mind that on some level passion matters  a bit more to women than to men - in that setting passion was look at as not really different to anger or envy - and you certainly wouldnt have seen any of the meditators get up and make a stand for envy or anger the way this woman did for passion.   On some level it seems like passion is largely an energy that flows from men to women - it leaves women feeling more energized but their men feeling less so.  From Christs owns "passion" we get an entirely different view - at golgotha passion seems to be an essential part of his spiritual transcendance. And the "mainstream" modern western view is that passion is a very positive thing.  The truth about passion is, I suspect, one of the deeper mysteries.

                Carl

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002

                  Thanks, Carl.  I do appreciate hearing the male perspective.  I hope that you are back on your feet now, 18 months later.  It made me sad to hear that you were working on a common goal, and this drove you apart.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002
                    Hi Carl,

                    Oh boy... what am I going to DO with you kids!!! : )

                    You can have money, passion, love, peace and all at once. In our culture, we
                    are usually raised to believe (I certainly was) that spirituality and
                    sexuality are opposites. Well, sexual activity is an act of will. Making
                    money is an act of will. Meditation is an act of will. Loving God is an act
                    of will (I'll define this shortly). The will of the human being is his or her
                    most unconcious and at the same time, most powerful soul force. Ever been up
                    all night with indigestion? That's what happens when their is a disturbance
                    in the unconcious will forces governing our metabolism. Not fun. But
                    definitely more concious. Well, becoming concious of other will forces in our
                    lives can be almost as painful. However, respecting them and learning to
                    "feed" them properly can result in increased vitality and soul health.

                    What is the real problem here? Some kind of spark missing? Some magical
                    chemical that isn't being produced? Not enough of ......? Energy? Time? Love?
                    Money?

                    Nope.

                    It is very, very simple - the lack of balance and rhythm in life. Somewhere
                    (I can't remember where off hand, would have to look it up) Steiner said,
                    "Rhythm replaces Strength."

                    Let's say you want to play the piano. You could dream about it for years,
                    listen to great recordings, read the biographies of great musicians and
                    composers, get on lots of musical mailing lists, etc.. But if you really
                    desire to participate, there would be some acts of will to accomplish -
                    getting a piano (or keyboard), finding a teacher and going to lessons and
                    ....are you ready for this?? Practicing!!!! Where all this gets you is
                    dependent on a combination of natural ability and determined work. Some
                    people, even after all this effort will let the whole thing dwindle away in a
                    few months. Some people will find that they really were "born with" a talent
                    that they never had put to the test before and they will go on to using it in
                    unexpected ways in their life. Other people will learn enough to amuse
                    themselves or their family and friends and will feel content with this. Etc.,
                    etc and soforth..... : )

                    Now consider this. Let's say you make the effort, get a piano, take lessons
                    and are perfectly willing to practice regardless of how good or not so good
                    you may become. But you do want to put in enough effort to make the whole
                    thing worthwhile and get you at least to a competent level. Which would be
                    better? Practicing all day, for 8 hours, every Saturday only? Or practicing
                    every night of the week for half an hour? Which do you think would make for
                    better progress?

                    Yup, every day for half an hour. The rhythm of the daily practice allows the
                    mind and the skill to develop at a healthy pace, each day's experience
                    building on the one before.

                    So, this lengthy example can apply to everything that a person might want to
                    create or have happen in his or her life. A marriage? Enthusiasm - you read
                    about it, see it in film & TV, talk about it, maybe see some bad examples and
                    say " I can do better" maybe see some good examples and say " Gee that looks
                    wonderful, I want that, too." The you meet THE ONE (after meeting lots of
                    other "ones") OK, this one's a keeper - it's gonna be great (or else you got
                    suckered into it, in which case we're not talking about will anymore). It's
                    my SOULMATE!! My LIFE PARTNER!! My better half... my one and only... yada,
                    yada, yada... you get the picture. You make the effort. You clean up nice.
                    You figure out what he or she likes and get it/ do it/ watch it/ play
                    it....... You do the bouncy-bouncy and oh do it feel good! (At least some of
                    the time, or else - you got suckered - see above) OK, we're going for it, the
                    rings, the dress, the gifts, the guests, et al. Now we done it - WOW. If
                    only we were all Romeo and Juliet and we died right after our honeymoon, we
                    would all have perfect marriages. Unfortunately......

                    Hey, the energy lasts for a good while. The first year is great. Sure, a few
                    battles and some real adjustments, but things still feel basically good.
                    Practice? No problem - bring it on. Flowers, wine, candles, massage. Hey this
                    marriage thing is not bad! Then fewer flowers, less wine, and "are you
                    kidding, rub your feet? Do you know what kind of day I had???" Kids come.
                    Jobs come and go. Friends and families come and go - usually the ones you
                    want to come, go and the ones you want to go, come. But we got plans, we got
                    dreams, we got goals. So we hitch our wills up by the bootstraps and plunge
                    on. Some vacations, some interesting weekends, hey, we still know how to rock
                    n roll.... : )

                    Then eventually, we come to realize that things have really dwindled away.
                    This marriage thing is getting pretty dusty over there in the corner. I
                    really don't have the energy to practice tonight (been saying that for months
                    now). Now and then we sit down and have a good long bang at it, but those
                    Saturdays get fewer and fewer. Might as well sell the damn thing and get a
                    home entertainment center instead. You do. Then one night, as you're sitting
                    there watching (ALONE) you get this brilliant idea - "Hey, I'm gonna take up
                    the guitar!!!"

                    Is any thing here making sense?

                    As for Steiner, Buddhism and Christianity - I really don't think he
                    "embraced" them. I think he investigated them. And the kind of shallow
                    wandering around in the puddles of spiritual knowledge that most people do
                    today will never produce anything that will "TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO."
                    Because it isn't about SHOULDS in the first place. Another "Herr Doktor"
                    quote - from an old anthropop that I once knew is that a young woman came to
                    Steiner and told him all about her problems or life situation. She concluded
                    by asking "So, what should I do?" The only answer she got was, "My dear, the
                    question is what WILL you do?"

                    Read Herman Hesse's Siddharta. Understand that Gautama Buddha went to all
                    phases of experience before he was ready for his bliss. He was an extreme
                    ascetic (?) and an extreme materialist. The pendulum swings wildly in our
                    lives from one to the other, little by little slowing down to a more moderate
                    pace. For some, it just stops and for all intense and purposes their life is
                    over. They have stopped trying and settle into a state of "quiet desperation"
                    and wait to die. Others do wild things to keep the pendulum in motion,
                    gambling, sex, drugs, one cult after another. Keep it moving, keep it moving.
                    But there is another possibility. Do you know what a lemniskate is? a figure
                    eight. In movement. Remember your Eurythmy, Carl? What if you were to take
                    that pendulum and set it to swing in a lemniskate pattern. Sure, it would
                    need a push now and then, but the rhythm would be a healthy one. There are
                    energizing principles associated with it. They use it while creating
                    homeopathic remedies. In and out, back and forth, breathing, moving,
                    relating, healing, creating. Rhythmic movement, rhythmic breathing, rhythmic
                    development. All nature lives by it and it governs them as law. As earthly
                    creatures we are within its sway, but as spiritual human beings, we are not
                    bound by it. We can choose (even unconciously) to ignore it, to defy it, to
                    do our "own thing" in our own way. But it will have it's revenge, by its very
                    absence in our lives. We will die, perhaps of illnesses created by our
                    imbalances, knowing that we have not created what we came to create, we have
                    not learned what we came to learn, we have not loved what we came to love.

                    As for Christianity and sex? I think that will have to be for another time.
                    Only by understanding the real nature of the Trinity can one understand the
                    spiritual role of the male/ female energies, I believe.

                    One more detail - it is NEVER - "That Person" - it is never "...something
                    wrong with" (either you or them). The same cycle will repeat and repeat with
                    each new person. You can go from Tin Pan Alley to Carnegie Hall, but you
                    won't get any better music from the concert grand than you did from the old
                    upright in your living room. It is your art alone that will be heard.

                    Love,
                    Christine
                  • L APPLEBY
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 27, 2009
                      Hello!

                      I have just joined the Steiner group and would like to tell you a bit about myself.

                      I am interested in Buddhism, Christianity and theosophy.. I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. My spiritual experiences are of connection to the elements, healing worldwide and synchronicity. I experience a spirit which joins me to all mankind and which I can heal to bring the world to peace and harmony.  I would really like to understand this more.My background is more in the theories of Freud, Jung and Klein. Do you think Steiner has a place for such phenomena and what would his analysis be?

                      Yours,
                      Linda Appleby

                      www.lindaappleby.com/connections    for 'Interconnection' CD
                      lindaappleby128atbt.blog.co.uk

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                        *******Welcome to the group, Linda. Well, if you have a background in Freud, you know that his orthodox scientific point of view rejected all spiritual experiences as mere illusons, while his pupil Jung tried to go beyond those shackles on thinking. Steiner went much further than Jung--- so Jung is well-known in the world because he didn't go too far and stayed fairly acceptable to academia, where Steiner went too far for most 20th century academics to accept. But if one wants to understand spiritual things like Buddhism and Christianity, Jungian thought can only take you so far. I think working with what Steiner gave out can lead to much more understanding of ancient religions, as well as the spiritual path for today. Likewise, of all the people who worked out of theosophy, I'd say Steiner's contributions have been the most fruitful (the schools, farms, arts, anthroposophic medicine, etc.)

                          Our list is seldom used. Feel free to start any discussion you like and perhaps people may join in---except, please, no discussion of politics, which has a negative effect on conversation on the internet, you may have seen!

                           I mainly work with Astrosophy, the renewal of astrology, which is a multidimensional psychology as well as leading over into the physical dimension as well. For example, in case you haven't read about it yet, Steiner also revived the old idea of the 4 Elements as Jung did, but where Jung named them the "Intuitive", "Sensation" etc. 4 personality types, Steiner described 4 types of formative forces in nature which he called the 4 Ethers, and that each of these 4 temperaments or personalty types had a preponderance of one or another "ether": Warmth Ether, Light Ether, Sound Ether (also called Chemical or Number Ether---which is the one Freud's other pupil Reich discovered and called "orgone energy") and Life Ether. Along with inclining people to psychologically be a certain way, these also have physical effects--- so, for instance, what in past centuries were called "fiery" people or the "Choleric temperament" have a lot of Warmth Ether, and one characteristic of it is to contract things in space--- so cholerics tend to be small in stature. Hence the shortness of powerful leaders like Napoleon, Augustus, Hitler, etc.

                        To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                        From: l.appleby128@...
                        Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:45:25 +0000
                        Subject: [steiner] introduction

                        Hello!

                        I have just joined the Steiner group and would like to tell you a bit about myself.

                        I am interested in Buddhism, Christianity and theosophy.. I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. My spiritual experiences are of connection to the elements, healing worldwide and synchronicity. I experience a spirit which joins me to all mankind and which I can heal to bring the world to peace and harmony.  I would really like to understand this more.My background is more in the theories of Freud, Jung and Klein. Do you think Steiner has a place for such phenomena and what would his analysis be?

                        Yours,
                        Linda Appleby

                        www.lindaappleby. com/connections    for 'Interconnection' CD
                        lindaappleby128atbt .blog.co. uk

                        HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.
                      • robertsmason_99
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, L APPLEBY <l.appleby128@...> wrote:
                          > . . . I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. . . .

                          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Alice
                          Bailey was working under very dubious influences,
                          to put it mildly. There is a direct line from
                          her to Benjamin Creme's bogus "Maitreya". To
                          refer to my own words:
                          <http://www.altanthroinfo.9f.com/ahriman.htm#theemergenceofmaitreya>

                          Another word: *discernment*.

                          Robert Mason
                        • stephenm142
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                            Are you familiar with Guenther Wachsmuth's "Etheric Formative Forces' Book and the discussion of the 4 Ethers in Earth and Man's evolution? I can post excerpts for discussion. I have scanned it and made a readable PDF eBook. Do you have respect for Wachsmuth's work along these lines? Do you know if he ever worked with the other Astrosophical great Willi Sucher?

                            - Stephen

                            ==========================
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                              *******Yes, in fact I sponsored a reprint of his book on the 50th anniversary of its publication in English (1936), when I found out it had been out of print ever since, apparently because of the split in the Society where Wachsmuth and Ita Wegman and the others went to war with each other. It's a very important book which I believe is once again out of print. I have his "Reincarnation As A Phenomenon of Metamorphosis" also. You could post the book to our Files section if you wish.

                                 Somehow, Wachsmuth and Albert Steffen wound up in one faction 10 years after Steiner's death and Ita Wegman and Dr. Elizabeth Vreede wound up on the other. The two women were kicked out of the Society even though they continued to live right down the street from the Goetheanum and carry on their work. (Both were Dutch, and the Anthroposophical Society of Holland separated itself in protest over their treatment. Dr. Vreede was the head of the Mathematical-Astronomical Section, and had been trained directly by Steiner at reading horoscopes, as can be seen by their remarks to each other in the Curative Education lectures. After she was expelled, that work suffered. Her 2 assistants were Joachim Schultze, author of "Movements and Rythms of the Stars", and Willi Sucher. Neither were fired, but not long afterwards Sucher left for California, convinced from these experiences that those at the Goetheanum would not likely start a new astrology, so he worked on it and published his books himself.

                                 The art and science of Astrosophy has suffered from those events of 1935, and we need to pick up and go forward now.

                              -starman

                              www.DrStarman.com

                              To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                              From: celestial_vision@...
                              Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:26:14 +0000
                              Subject: [steiner] Re: introduction/welcome

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 31, 2009
                                Very interesting post Starman.
                                If it was reprinted in 1986 then I have no evidence of that, and I have done extensive research, do you have a publisher or any specific information so that I might find it? As you know any reprint must be in color because of all the original color diagrams that make no sense in black and white. I am trying to get the publisher at Temple Lodge to reprint it now. I believe it is important, and I am trying to study it.
                                I just read the memorandum which details the March 27/28 GA meeting where Vreede, Wegman, all of the Dutch and much of the English society let by Kauffman (Adams) were booted. Zeylmans was booted as well and Walter Stein's mischievousness was all over the matter. It's a very sad commentary and a great wonder that the society survived in any shape or form whatsoever(I know there are those who say it didn't).
                                I now have the original typescript publications Man and the Stars, etc by Sucher that I will also scan and post if anyone is interested. As far as posting the Wachsmuth Formative forces book, it came out very large and I am in the process of trying to use Adobe to trim the size of the pdf - is there a file size limit?
                                - Stephen