Re: [steiner] introduction

  • golden3000997@cs.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002
      Hello Ashley,

      Welcome to the wonderful world of Anthroposophy. : ) I am sure that you will
      get many answers to your basic questions in the training program. Be patient.
      It's a lot to take in, even if it is a "remembering" from within your own
      spirit. But I would like to extend my friendship toward you, particularly in
      regard to the emotional situation that you are in right now. I cannot speak
      as an "Anthroposophist" or quote what "Herr Doktor hat gesprachen" in any way
      that would provide a definitive answer. But I am a 46 year old woman who has
      been involved with Steiner and Waldorf since the age of 16 and I have lived
      through two marriages and lots of relationships, so I have my own unique
      perspective. There are many levels and facets to any relationship, but the
      male/ female partnership is truly complex. There is the purely karmic aspect
      (what you may have been to each other in a past life or lives and what you
      have intended to accomplish together in this lifetime). There is the very
      practical (you have two children to take care of financially and
      emotionally). There is the mental and emotional which may (and will) range
      from intoxication to infuriation to total boredom with every shading in
      between.

      Whenever there is the question of abuse - physical, mental or emotional, I
      say - get out - now immediately, then try to figure it out. But it doesn't
      sound like you have these problems. It sounds like you are in the midst of a
      totally normal process of development in any marriage.

      In today's society, really only for the last one or two hundred years, we
      have been taught to place a great deal of emphasis and importance on ROMANCE!
      Every book, magazine, TV program, popular song and film advertises it. From
      the "stars in the skies" romance of the 30s, 40s, & 50s, to the "If it feels
      good, do it" of the 60s, 70s & 80s, to the "am I getting enough out of it?"
      of the 90s and today (My opinion here, entirely). We are taught to dress for
      it, scent ourselves (or unscent ourselves) for it, scheme for it, dream for
      it, wait for it, search for it, advertise for it, take risks for it and live
      for it.

      However.... at some point in one's life process, it really is important to
      sit back and take a real good LOOK at it! : ). No matter what one does to
      get it, to keep it or because of it, no matter how wonderful, how tragic or
      how "karmic" it is, it is always temporary!

      Romance is built on a combination of fantasy, hormones, chemicals in the body
      and brain and an often complicated set of values that we have been raised
      with and either accepted or rebelled against. It has it's really valuable
      place in our lives and there is no problem in enjoying it fully when all of
      the elements work in a relatively healthy way. But it has it's cycles of ups
      and downs and one needs to balance it with basic realities of life.

      I do recommend "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus." by John Gray. I
      think he has a really good way of looking at some of our communication
      problems and knowing about the differences can help overcome some of the
      miscommunication that can lead to irritation and resentment in a
      relationship. There are lots of other "very deep" books that I read during my
      struggling years, but they are not necessarily the kind of thing that can
      give on a real lift.

      I also heartily recommend Erma Bombeck's books - especially "Motherhood the
      Second Oldest Profession" and "A Marriage Made in Heaven - or Too Tired for
      an Affair" : )
      It's really good to balance the heavy stuff with a good old sense of humor
      about it all.

      There is a really beautiful Christian Community pamphlet called Marriage. I
      will try to find a source for you, or else perhaps I can copy it or even type
      it here in the computer and forward it to you. I don't want to infringe on
      any copyright, but I am not sure who may have it. Dr. Starman may be able to
      help with that.

      So on three levels, here goes:
      1. Mental/ Spiritual
      Who were you before? Do you sense it was a good relationship in the past? Or
      troubled? Do you feel that you have to continually fight ongoing battles with
      each other? Do you feel that you were attracted to this person because you
      could really imagine doing something important together in this lifetime? Was
      the attraction strong, but relatively brief, and could it have been caused
      simply by your children wanting to be born to you? What are each of your life
      visions, your goals. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, in 10, in 20. What
      do you want to be doing? How do you want to be living. Try to get by yourself
      and answer/ ponder these questions in terms of "I" - not in terms of "we".
      See if you husband would be willing to do the same, alone, then give each
      other your written answers and ideas. Do they match? Do they relate at all?
      Are they both do-able if each supports the other? Or are they really very
      different and represent totally unrelated world views? Is there value in
      learning about each other's world views and just accepting them? Or is the
      conflict too great. I have know good marriages where the world views are
      diametrically opposed, but each person TOTALLY accepted the other without
      criticism and each allowed the other to live their own way and do their own
      thing. But that's not always easy to do.

      2. Emotional/ Familial
      Do you respect your partner as a parent? Do you basically agree on issues
      regarding the children? Or does your partner cause you real concern in some
      way. Be careful as you explore Waldorf, etc. One can get really "gung-ho" and
      turn the other person off, or be really fanatical and rigid. I have a
      terrific article on that, too, that I will try to get you a copy of. Remember
      the sense of humor! Look at things from a point of view of balance, not
      perfection. The only exception here, as I stated before is abuse - with
      something like that, there is no compromise.

      What about your own emotions? Did you get married believing that you would be
      emotionally taken care of? LIstened to? Understood? Loved unconditionally?
      Are you happy with yourself when you are alone? (Not that a woman with young
      children is EVER alone - not even in the bathroom!) : ) Do you want to feel
      needed? Do you want to be a full time nuturer? Do you want someone to respect
      you? Do you need this in order to respect yourself? Do you want to have fun?
      Are you having fun? Do you need to feel secure? Do you feel secure? Mars/
      Venus is very helpful here : ) There is such a tremendous difference
      emotionally between men and women. It is good to know that if you don't feel
      that you are getting what you want, it's probably very normal.

      Is there more fulfillment, or more frustration in your role as wife and
      mother? Do you feel that you are recognized for more aspects of your
      personality or is this your total identity. It seems like it will last
      forever, but it won't. You will have many years to be someone else. Are you
      working on what that person will be? Do you have personal goals or quests? Or
      are you totally fixated on what your children will do/ become and what their
      lives will be like?

      Do you have a good relationship with your family of origin, or a troubled
      one? Are you trying to "show them" or be like them? Do you still need their
      approval? Do they approve? What about your partner's family? In today's
      complex and transient society, do you still feel there is value in giving
      children a stable family to start their life with? Do you feel that the
      family that you have created for them is basically healthy and happy? Can you
      enjoy living as a family with or without "romance"?

      3. Physical/ Economic
      It's tough enough today economically, with two working parents. Single
      parenthood is exhausting and difficult on many practical levels. Is there a
      sense of economic partnership in your relationship? Or is money the root of
      (almost) all squabbles? Does one partner feel "used" either for their money
      or their work? Is there any way to create more equilibrium? Do you value both
      kinds of contribution? Young adults are rarely ever given any real education
      in the handling of money. Our money styles can be incredibly different. A
      five dollar bill in one person's pocket is totally content to curl up and
      remain there. In my pocket, it parachutes out immediately! : ) Do you each
      have your own money? Even $20.00 a week to "blow" on frivolities, or feed the
      piggybank of your soul? Do you sit down together and rationally budget and
      plan your common needs and wants? Do you need help with this? Most people do.
      Most people are only familiar with the money style they were raised with.
      Spend today, for tomorrow we (don't know and don't care). Or "There is never
      enough for... we can't afford.... don't waste it because....." Is the world
      an abundant place or is the wolf always at the door? The economic life is a
      really spiritual sphere, the world of the will, governed by very powerful
      forces, many of them unconcious. Open communication is very essential and
      again, balance and humor.

      Sex - there, thought that'd wake you up : ) Isn't that what they magnetism
      is all about? It had to have been pretty good at one time, or else one or
      both of you were really desperate. If you really love someone, won't it just
      be great all the time? If you really love someone, you could never be
      attracted to anyone else, right? (wrong!) You know how sometimes you get a
      real craving for pizza, then the next weekend it's chinese food? Well, sex is
      an appetite also and pizza every night can get real boring, real fast!
      Oregano the only spice on your shelf? Have you every tried cooking with curry
      or dill or chili powder? Ever look at "Gourmet" magazine, or "Vegetarian
      Times?" It's fun to get new ideas once in a while, you know.

      There are going to be times when you have absolutely NO appetite, nothing can
      tempt you and forcing yourself to eat can really be a chore. Other times you
      can be really ravenous. Of course, it's very frustrating when you cook like
      mad, dream up a real banquet, then the other person just sits and picks at
      his food. : ) Communicate. Learn to cook together. Take cooking classes.
      Find out what the other person really likes and just can't resist. Respect
      the other person's appetite cycles and learn to cook for yourself sometimes.
      But never go out to eat alone!!! Got it? Together, maybe, but not alone.

      Remember, the kids will not be little for very long. There is always Club Med
      (my sister takes her family frequently). Plan vacations and romantic get
      aways, for soon and for the long term future. Have something to look forward
      to. Fantasize. Accept your partner's fantasies without criticism. Some ideas
      may be new to you and unappealing, but if not harmful in someway, try to be
      open minded and accepting. You can accept that the other person has such
      fantasies, without necessarily agreeing to participate in reality.
      Participate in fantasy if necessary. You never know, you just might end up
      liking it, too someday.

      And remember - there is no "magic person" - someone who would be better, more
      attractive, etc. The next guy is just the same. You would have to start all
      over again, teaching and learning. You would get bored again in time. Your
      excitement and satisfaction is really all in your head. Unless he is really a
      lazy, selfish bum, he will get the hang of it eventually. If he IS a lazy,
      selfish bum, why the heck did you marry him in the first place? These days,
      we can test drive, you know!

      Laugh a lot, spice things up, enjoy finding out who YOU are as a person and
      what you can do and what you want to do. Enjoy being "Mom" while they are
      still willing to cuddle. Cuddle a lot! Relax, let things go. You don't have
      to "win" unless it involves the violation of your personal space (inner or
      outer). Accept each other. There is no such thing as a perfect marriage, a
      perfect parent, a perfect child, a perfect husband, a perfect wife. Have
      friends, get out and have fun. A tea party, a picnic, a bike ride. Use the
      power of fantasy to make it tea in a castle, a picnic in Timbuktu or a trip
      to Mars. Love your child within and protect her from harm. Look forward to
      the coming years - they just get better and better! REALLY! I LOVE my forties
      - and really am looking foward to my 80's. Do you want your children to be
      happy? Don't try to make them happy - just be happy yourself. They will learn
      only by example. You know the best way to get your child to learn to play the
      piano? Get a piano and take lessons yourself, practice every day and tell the
      kids that it's YOUR piano and they can't touch it! They'll be little Victor
      Borges in no time!! : )

      Well, all this might not be very "Anthroposophical" but I hope one or two
      points may be of some help. Let's put the "Happy" back in "Happy Anniversary!"

      Lots of love,
      Christine
    • Ashley Case
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

        thank you, christine!  i will respond in full tonight after i get my kids to bed, LOL.  is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private?  i'd hate to hog the group or break group etiquette.

        let me just vent for a moment, though.  usually every saturday i am away all day at my waldorf teacher training.  we are on break for the summer now, and by 9:00 this morning i had already thoroughly remembered why i am separated from my husband.  his multiple-choice conversational style just makes me sick.  he has already admitted that he speaks this way so that he can have the correct answer to his credit.  i draw a breath to answer him, and the question has already evolved to B and C .. so i exhale and refuse to answer.  he has many forms of this behavior .  let me mention that is is an attorney (Columbia/Stanford educated).

        i'm on my way out to a baby shower now but will reply again later.  thanks!
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002
          In a message dated Sat, 15 Jun 2002 2:23:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ashley.case@... writes:

          > . is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private? i'd hate to
          > hog the group or break group etiquette.

          *******It won't be "hogging" the group. Like the Anthroposophical Society, it doesn't exist for us to meet its standards, but to serve US in our spiritual path.

          Starman
        • Ashley Case
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

            Thanks, Doc .  I'll be looking forward to it for my free time tonight.

            Meanwhile, I am *not* liking the onset of summer.  I love autumn.

            is it okay for me to answer such detailed questions in the open forum here, or should i take it private?  i'd hate to
            > hog the
            group or break group etiquette.

            *******It won't be "hogging" the group. Like the Anthroposophical Society, it doesn't exist for us to meet its standards, but to serve US in our spiritual path.

            Starman

            Post to steiner@egroups.com

            Search the archives of the group at:

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

          • golden3000997@cs.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002
              Hi Ashley! Those questions were simply for you to ponder, not to answer to me
              or anyone else. Some issues perhaps to take up with your husband.

              Speaking of your husband - OH, that explains a lot! : )

              I have been of the opinion for a long time that when they go to law school,
              it fries every brain cell they have except the ones they need to remember the
              laws. Have you tried...
              1. Laughing in his face
              2. Asking him questions in the same format
              3. Asking him "Do you speak to clients that way? Oh yeah? What are you REALLY
              doing to make money?"

              Does he speak to the children that way? His colleagues? His parents? Is he on
              some kind of power trip with you and thinks he's advanced? Is he just an
              arrogant SOB? What is he trying to prove?

              There must have been something there when you married him. Has he changed, or
              did you just not notice it before?

              If he really does this to everyone (which I find hard to believe) tell him he
              needs to go back to college and take Communications 101 - the remedial level!

              Nevertheless, if this is the major problem, and especially if it has not
              always been there, it is something that can be worked on. Remember, there
              will be something like this with every man you meet. Don't use someone else
              as an escape at this point, it will just confuse the issue. The other guy is
              not made out of soap, he won't wear out.

              You can e-mail me directly at Golden3000997@... if you want to. I am sure
              that plenty of other people will be giving you their feedback, too.

              Best wishes,
              Christine
            • Ashley Case
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 15, 2002

                What a deliciously self-indulgent excercise, to consider your list of questions!  My IRL housewife friends *bristle* at the mention of my marital and personal problems.  I have attached my answers in a MS Word document.  Thanks again, Christine!  I look forward to knowing you better on this list.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                  Hi Ashley and Christine,

                         You remind me of all the reasons why I've  loved the Steiner people in my life.  As a community of spiritual friends I've always found them frank , wholesome, open,  inspiring,  gentle yet passionate, and almost always uplifting to be around - both your posts left me with a smile and made me think - and even more amazingly got me to post instead of lurk!

                         Your situation, Ashley, has *some* similarities to my own, except that, being male,  a few of the perspectives are a little different.    I was haunted by your description of  the "spark" going out of your relationship - about 18 months ago the same thing led to the break-up of me and my de-facto, Gail,  of five years.  There is a particular type of sadness when a relationship that was full of life and vitality quietly ebbs away to nothingness.

                          I identify with some of both you and your husbands situation.  Perhaps my situation might add another angle of view on his.  Like him I was in a pressured job - I was a sales manager and had to do a lot of international travel.  I too would come home a sit in front of the TV.  I found the corporate world sufficiently stressful that I needed to mentally "anaesthetize" myself to recouperate enough to face the next day and the TV was just right for the job - it seemed less harmful than drinking.   We had talked about putting in a few very hard working years to get ourselves into a financially secure position   and I think I was mentally prepared to "tough it out" for that long - but over about 2 years of this we became distant and started to fight.  It seemed that one of the essential problems was that in a stressful job it is MUCH harder to find the time and energy for romance and passion - previously I'd put a lot more energy focussing on her and making her feel special and loved and making her laugh - now I had transferred that energy into our mutual goal of achieving financial security.    Perhaps the old saying "you marry the job too" applies both in your situation and mine.   I always found that when she expressed fear and concern about security issues, particularly about money,  I would react by putting in even longer hours at work to try and "do something" to fix the cause of the insecurity.  It is a perhaps part of the male protective instinct that when your mate feels insecure then all other matters become secondary until you restore that sense of security.  I wonder if any of that happens with you and your husband.

                          Looking back on the situation with hindsight I guess I needed either a job that was compatable with my wife, or a wife that was compatable with my job.

                         The issue of romance and passion is one I strive to understand more than I do - particularly from a spiritual point of view.  Steiner embraced both Christianity and Buddhism - and I was educated in a Waldorf school and later become a serious Buddhist for several years.  But it seems to me that there are quite different views on an issue like Passion between Christianity and Buddhism and I don't as yet know if and how Steiner resolves these.   Buddha taught that passion is a manifestation of craving and craving leads to suffering and blocks the path the Nirvana. He taught that we should be aware of passions arising within us without reacting to them so that the passions lose power and dissapate.  I remember attending a 10-day meditation course and at the end of each day people would ask the teacher questions.  One day a woman came up and asked what the problem was with passion and the teacher answered more or less as above, to which she replied "but I LIKE it!"  It really stuck in my mind that on some level passion matters  a bit more to women than to men - in that setting passion was look at as not really different to anger or envy - and you certainly wouldnt have seen any of the meditators get up and make a stand for envy or anger the way this woman did for passion.   On some level it seems like passion is largely an energy that flows from men to women - it leaves women feeling more energized but their men feeling less so.  From Christs owns "passion" we get an entirely different view - at golgotha passion seems to be an essential part of his spiritual transcendance. And the "mainstream" modern western view is that passion is a very positive thing.  The truth about passion is, I suspect, one of the deeper mysteries.

                  Carl

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002

                    Thanks, Carl.  I do appreciate hearing the male perspective.  I hope that you are back on your feet now, 18 months later.  It made me sad to hear that you were working on a common goal, and this drove you apart.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002
                      Hi Carl,

                      Oh boy... what am I going to DO with you kids!!! : )

                      You can have money, passion, love, peace and all at once. In our culture, we
                      are usually raised to believe (I certainly was) that spirituality and
                      sexuality are opposites. Well, sexual activity is an act of will. Making
                      money is an act of will. Meditation is an act of will. Loving God is an act
                      of will (I'll define this shortly). The will of the human being is his or her
                      most unconcious and at the same time, most powerful soul force. Ever been up
                      all night with indigestion? That's what happens when their is a disturbance
                      in the unconcious will forces governing our metabolism. Not fun. But
                      definitely more concious. Well, becoming concious of other will forces in our
                      lives can be almost as painful. However, respecting them and learning to
                      "feed" them properly can result in increased vitality and soul health.

                      What is the real problem here? Some kind of spark missing? Some magical
                      chemical that isn't being produced? Not enough of ......? Energy? Time? Love?
                      Money?

                      Nope.

                      It is very, very simple - the lack of balance and rhythm in life. Somewhere
                      (I can't remember where off hand, would have to look it up) Steiner said,
                      "Rhythm replaces Strength."

                      Let's say you want to play the piano. You could dream about it for years,
                      listen to great recordings, read the biographies of great musicians and
                      composers, get on lots of musical mailing lists, etc.. But if you really
                      desire to participate, there would be some acts of will to accomplish -
                      getting a piano (or keyboard), finding a teacher and going to lessons and
                      ....are you ready for this?? Practicing!!!! Where all this gets you is
                      dependent on a combination of natural ability and determined work. Some
                      people, even after all this effort will let the whole thing dwindle away in a
                      few months. Some people will find that they really were "born with" a talent
                      that they never had put to the test before and they will go on to using it in
                      unexpected ways in their life. Other people will learn enough to amuse
                      themselves or their family and friends and will feel content with this. Etc.,
                      etc and soforth..... : )

                      Now consider this. Let's say you make the effort, get a piano, take lessons
                      and are perfectly willing to practice regardless of how good or not so good
                      you may become. But you do want to put in enough effort to make the whole
                      thing worthwhile and get you at least to a competent level. Which would be
                      better? Practicing all day, for 8 hours, every Saturday only? Or practicing
                      every night of the week for half an hour? Which do you think would make for
                      better progress?

                      Yup, every day for half an hour. The rhythm of the daily practice allows the
                      mind and the skill to develop at a healthy pace, each day's experience
                      building on the one before.

                      So, this lengthy example can apply to everything that a person might want to
                      create or have happen in his or her life. A marriage? Enthusiasm - you read
                      about it, see it in film & TV, talk about it, maybe see some bad examples and
                      say " I can do better" maybe see some good examples and say " Gee that looks
                      wonderful, I want that, too." The you meet THE ONE (after meeting lots of
                      other "ones") OK, this one's a keeper - it's gonna be great (or else you got
                      suckered into it, in which case we're not talking about will anymore). It's
                      my SOULMATE!! My LIFE PARTNER!! My better half... my one and only... yada,
                      yada, yada... you get the picture. You make the effort. You clean up nice.
                      You figure out what he or she likes and get it/ do it/ watch it/ play
                      it....... You do the bouncy-bouncy and oh do it feel good! (At least some of
                      the time, or else - you got suckered - see above) OK, we're going for it, the
                      rings, the dress, the gifts, the guests, et al. Now we done it - WOW. If
                      only we were all Romeo and Juliet and we died right after our honeymoon, we
                      would all have perfect marriages. Unfortunately......

                      Hey, the energy lasts for a good while. The first year is great. Sure, a few
                      battles and some real adjustments, but things still feel basically good.
                      Practice? No problem - bring it on. Flowers, wine, candles, massage. Hey this
                      marriage thing is not bad! Then fewer flowers, less wine, and "are you
                      kidding, rub your feet? Do you know what kind of day I had???" Kids come.
                      Jobs come and go. Friends and families come and go - usually the ones you
                      want to come, go and the ones you want to go, come. But we got plans, we got
                      dreams, we got goals. So we hitch our wills up by the bootstraps and plunge
                      on. Some vacations, some interesting weekends, hey, we still know how to rock
                      n roll.... : )

                      Then eventually, we come to realize that things have really dwindled away.
                      This marriage thing is getting pretty dusty over there in the corner. I
                      really don't have the energy to practice tonight (been saying that for months
                      now). Now and then we sit down and have a good long bang at it, but those
                      Saturdays get fewer and fewer. Might as well sell the damn thing and get a
                      home entertainment center instead. You do. Then one night, as you're sitting
                      there watching (ALONE) you get this brilliant idea - "Hey, I'm gonna take up
                      the guitar!!!"

                      Is any thing here making sense?

                      As for Steiner, Buddhism and Christianity - I really don't think he
                      "embraced" them. I think he investigated them. And the kind of shallow
                      wandering around in the puddles of spiritual knowledge that most people do
                      today will never produce anything that will "TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO."
                      Because it isn't about SHOULDS in the first place. Another "Herr Doktor"
                      quote - from an old anthropop that I once knew is that a young woman came to
                      Steiner and told him all about her problems or life situation. She concluded
                      by asking "So, what should I do?" The only answer she got was, "My dear, the
                      question is what WILL you do?"

                      Read Herman Hesse's Siddharta. Understand that Gautama Buddha went to all
                      phases of experience before he was ready for his bliss. He was an extreme
                      ascetic (?) and an extreme materialist. The pendulum swings wildly in our
                      lives from one to the other, little by little slowing down to a more moderate
                      pace. For some, it just stops and for all intense and purposes their life is
                      over. They have stopped trying and settle into a state of "quiet desperation"
                      and wait to die. Others do wild things to keep the pendulum in motion,
                      gambling, sex, drugs, one cult after another. Keep it moving, keep it moving.
                      But there is another possibility. Do you know what a lemniskate is? a figure
                      eight. In movement. Remember your Eurythmy, Carl? What if you were to take
                      that pendulum and set it to swing in a lemniskate pattern. Sure, it would
                      need a push now and then, but the rhythm would be a healthy one. There are
                      energizing principles associated with it. They use it while creating
                      homeopathic remedies. In and out, back and forth, breathing, moving,
                      relating, healing, creating. Rhythmic movement, rhythmic breathing, rhythmic
                      development. All nature lives by it and it governs them as law. As earthly
                      creatures we are within its sway, but as spiritual human beings, we are not
                      bound by it. We can choose (even unconciously) to ignore it, to defy it, to
                      do our "own thing" in our own way. But it will have it's revenge, by its very
                      absence in our lives. We will die, perhaps of illnesses created by our
                      imbalances, knowing that we have not created what we came to create, we have
                      not learned what we came to learn, we have not loved what we came to love.

                      As for Christianity and sex? I think that will have to be for another time.
                      Only by understanding the real nature of the Trinity can one understand the
                      spiritual role of the male/ female energies, I believe.

                      One more detail - it is NEVER - "That Person" - it is never "...something
                      wrong with" (either you or them). The same cycle will repeat and repeat with
                      each new person. You can go from Tin Pan Alley to Carnegie Hall, but you
                      won't get any better music from the concert grand than you did from the old
                      upright in your living room. It is your art alone that will be heard.

                      Love,
                      Christine
                    • L APPLEBY
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 27, 2009
                        Hello!

                        I have just joined the Steiner group and would like to tell you a bit about myself.

                        I am interested in Buddhism, Christianity and theosophy.. I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. My spiritual experiences are of connection to the elements, healing worldwide and synchronicity. I experience a spirit which joins me to all mankind and which I can heal to bring the world to peace and harmony.  I would really like to understand this more.My background is more in the theories of Freud, Jung and Klein. Do you think Steiner has a place for such phenomena and what would his analysis be?

                        Yours,
                        Linda Appleby

                        www.lindaappleby.com/connections    for 'Interconnection' CD
                        lindaappleby128atbt.blog.co.uk

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                          *******Welcome to the group, Linda. Well, if you have a background in Freud, you know that his orthodox scientific point of view rejected all spiritual experiences as mere illusons, while his pupil Jung tried to go beyond those shackles on thinking. Steiner went much further than Jung--- so Jung is well-known in the world because he didn't go too far and stayed fairly acceptable to academia, where Steiner went too far for most 20th century academics to accept. But if one wants to understand spiritual things like Buddhism and Christianity, Jungian thought can only take you so far. I think working with what Steiner gave out can lead to much more understanding of ancient religions, as well as the spiritual path for today. Likewise, of all the people who worked out of theosophy, I'd say Steiner's contributions have been the most fruitful (the schools, farms, arts, anthroposophic medicine, etc.)

                            Our list is seldom used. Feel free to start any discussion you like and perhaps people may join in---except, please, no discussion of politics, which has a negative effect on conversation on the internet, you may have seen!

                             I mainly work with Astrosophy, the renewal of astrology, which is a multidimensional psychology as well as leading over into the physical dimension as well. For example, in case you haven't read about it yet, Steiner also revived the old idea of the 4 Elements as Jung did, but where Jung named them the "Intuitive", "Sensation" etc. 4 personality types, Steiner described 4 types of formative forces in nature which he called the 4 Ethers, and that each of these 4 temperaments or personalty types had a preponderance of one or another "ether": Warmth Ether, Light Ether, Sound Ether (also called Chemical or Number Ether---which is the one Freud's other pupil Reich discovered and called "orgone energy") and Life Ether. Along with inclining people to psychologically be a certain way, these also have physical effects--- so, for instance, what in past centuries were called "fiery" people or the "Choleric temperament" have a lot of Warmth Ether, and one characteristic of it is to contract things in space--- so cholerics tend to be small in stature. Hence the shortness of powerful leaders like Napoleon, Augustus, Hitler, etc.

                          To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                          From: l.appleby128@...
                          Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:45:25 +0000
                          Subject: [steiner] introduction

                          Hello!

                          I have just joined the Steiner group and would like to tell you a bit about myself.

                          I am interested in Buddhism, Christianity and theosophy.. I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. My spiritual experiences are of connection to the elements, healing worldwide and synchronicity. I experience a spirit which joins me to all mankind and which I can heal to bring the world to peace and harmony.  I would really like to understand this more.My background is more in the theories of Freud, Jung and Klein. Do you think Steiner has a place for such phenomena and what would his analysis be?

                          Yours,
                          Linda Appleby

                          www.lindaappleby. com/connections    for 'Interconnection' CD
                          lindaappleby128atbt .blog.co. uk

                          HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.
                        • robertsmason_99
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                            --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, L APPLEBY <l.appleby128@...> wrote:
                            > . . . I am particularly keen on the writing of Alice Bailey. . . .

                            Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Alice
                            Bailey was working under very dubious influences,
                            to put it mildly. There is a direct line from
                            her to Benjamin Creme's bogus "Maitreya". To
                            refer to my own words:
                            <http://www.altanthroinfo.9f.com/ahriman.htm#theemergenceofmaitreya>

                            Another word: *discernment*.

                            Robert Mason
                          • stephenm142
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                              Are you familiar with Guenther Wachsmuth's "Etheric Formative Forces' Book and the discussion of the 4 Ethers in Earth and Man's evolution? I can post excerpts for discussion. I have scanned it and made a readable PDF eBook. Do you have respect for Wachsmuth's work along these lines? Do you know if he ever worked with the other Astrosophical great Willi Sucher?

                              - Stephen

                              ==========================
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 28, 2009
                                *******Yes, in fact I sponsored a reprint of his book on the 50th anniversary of its publication in English (1936), when I found out it had been out of print ever since, apparently because of the split in the Society where Wachsmuth and Ita Wegman and the others went to war with each other. It's a very important book which I believe is once again out of print. I have his "Reincarnation As A Phenomenon of Metamorphosis" also. You could post the book to our Files section if you wish.

                                   Somehow, Wachsmuth and Albert Steffen wound up in one faction 10 years after Steiner's death and Ita Wegman and Dr. Elizabeth Vreede wound up on the other. The two women were kicked out of the Society even though they continued to live right down the street from the Goetheanum and carry on their work. (Both were Dutch, and the Anthroposophical Society of Holland separated itself in protest over their treatment. Dr. Vreede was the head of the Mathematical-Astronomical Section, and had been trained directly by Steiner at reading horoscopes, as can be seen by their remarks to each other in the Curative Education lectures. After she was expelled, that work suffered. Her 2 assistants were Joachim Schultze, author of "Movements and Rythms of the Stars", and Willi Sucher. Neither were fired, but not long afterwards Sucher left for California, convinced from these experiences that those at the Goetheanum would not likely start a new astrology, so he worked on it and published his books himself.

                                   The art and science of Astrosophy has suffered from those events of 1935, and we need to pick up and go forward now.

                                -starman

                                www.DrStarman.com

                                To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                                From: celestial_vision@...
                                Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:26:14 +0000
                                Subject: [steiner] Re: introduction/welcome

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 31, 2009
                                  Very interesting post Starman.
                                  If it was reprinted in 1986 then I have no evidence of that, and I have done extensive research, do you have a publisher or any specific information so that I might find it? As you know any reprint must be in color because of all the original color diagrams that make no sense in black and white. I am trying to get the publisher at Temple Lodge to reprint it now. I believe it is important, and I am trying to study it.
                                  I just read the memorandum which details the March 27/28 GA meeting where Vreede, Wegman, all of the Dutch and much of the English society let by Kauffman (Adams) were booted. Zeylmans was booted as well and Walter Stein's mischievousness was all over the matter. It's a very sad commentary and a great wonder that the society survived in any shape or form whatsoever(I know there are those who say it didn't).
                                  I now have the original typescript publications Man and the Stars, etc by Sucher that I will also scan and post if anyone is interested. As far as posting the Wachsmuth Formative forces book, it came out very large and I am in the process of trying to use Adobe to trim the size of the pdf - is there a file size limit?
                                  - Stephen