Re: Calendar of the Soul, Week 7 after Easter

  • josephhproskauer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14 3:22 PM
      --- In steiner@y..., DRStarman2001@a... wrote:
      > The "Calendar of the Soul"
      >
      > P.S. The Moon will be seen close to Mercury at sunset Monday, and
      near Saturn at sunset Tuesday. Between Mercury and Saturn Venus &
      Mars are visible. The Moon will be near Jupiter Wednesday and
      Thursday nights.
      > Dr. Starman

      Including the setting Sun and the waxing Moon, this week presents a
      rare opportunity to view all seven of the classical planets *
      together. The next such possibility is in September 2040.

      For the best view, seek out a spot with a low horizon (few close
      trees & buildings) and not too much artificial light. But don't
      hesitate to try -- I had no trouble seeing the conjunction of Mars
      and Venus as well as low Mercury over lower Manhattan (from across
      the East River) last Friday. For the full effect, enjoy the sunset,
      then watch over the next hour as the planets emerge one (or two?) at
      a time.

      I believe the description Dr. Starman provided with the calendar
      reverses the references to Venus and Saturn:

      The Moon was close to Mercury at sunset Monday; it's near brilliant
      Venus on Tuesday. Just below them, slightly to the right, look for
      faint orange Mars (binoculars will help). Farther below is Saturn,
      and to the lower right of Saturn is Mercury (near the horizon). Well
      off to the upper left of this whole grouping shines bright Jupiter.

      Even as it sets, the Moon continues its movement from Venus up toward
      Jupiter (from the Bull into the Twins) as it waxes: it's between
      these two bright planets on the 15th, and above Jupiter on the 16th.
      As the week progresses, Mercury and Saturn begin to disappear into
      the twilight.

      * "Planet" is Greek for "wanderer". The ancients gave this name to
      the seven lights which are seen to move through the fixed stars of
      the Zodiac (and which were perceived as representing forces relating
      to processes on earth, including the formation of metals, plants,
      human physiology and temperament): Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars,
      Jupiter, and Saturn.

      More information on viewing the planets' dance (including charts) is
      available on line at
      http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_572_1.asp
      . A modern author draws on anthroposophical work to look at
      planetary qualities in nature and the human being at
      www.xs4all.nl/~busbi/#contents . A fifteenth-century view -- a
      series of seven poems and woodcuts -- is at
      http://billyandcharlie.com/planets .
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31 8:16 PM

           The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar', 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and in outer Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to anthroposophists--- but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to its original use.

        *    M A N T R A  #7 *
        Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
        Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
        Nun trete du mein Ahnen
        In deine Rechte kraftig ein
        Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
        Das in der Sinne Schein
        Sich selbst verlieren will.

        My Self, it threatens to fly out
        To World-Light mightily drawn.
        Now enter you, my foreboding,
        Into your rightful place forcefully,
        Restore for me Thinking's Might
        That in the Senses' Shine
        Would lose itself.

        The weaving of the Sun in the growth of the plants reveals the Divine working. The past few weeks we can feel that spiritual essence working as being like our souls spread out in external space. But now the spiritual force of the light is so strong that we would dissolve into it--- so a feeling of what is to come in the future grows in us to keep us from being only in this present moment, preventing thinking from losing itself totally in the senses.

                                **********************************
             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. A symbolic image of the BULL done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below,

        Sunday, June 1st. Moon Cancer.    Nicodemus.

        Monday,   June 2nd. Moon Cancer.
        Erasmus.

        Tuesday,   June 3rd. Moon Cancer.
        Clotilde.

        Wednesday,  June 4th. Moon Leo.
        Karpasius.

        Thursday,   June 5th. Moon Leo.
        Boniface (the Apostle to Germany in the 8th century).

        Friday,   June 6th. Moon Virgo.
        Julian the Apostate born 331.

        Saturday,   June 7th. Moon Virgo.  First Quarter.
          Lucian.

          Also, the Moon will be seen near Jupiter Wed. and Thurs. nights.

        *  M A N T R A  # 3 2  *

        Ich fühle fruchtend eigne Kraft
        Sich stärkend mich der Welt verleihn;
        Mein Eigenwesen fühl ich kraftend
        Zur Klarheit sich zu wenden
        Im Lebensschicksalsweben.

        I feel my Power bearing fruit
        Strengthening me, the World to lend;
        My Ego-Essence I feel forcefully
        Wending its way to Clarity
        In Life-Destiny-Weaving.

        This week's mantram:
        The season of Autumn is the time in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt how the spiritual light of thinking sought to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating sense-existence, and thus started to turn the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces.
           This week's verse describes how these will-forces are now strong enough for the outer world to connect with us (it is 'lent' to us), so that we gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 16 10:55 PM
          The "Calendar of the Soul"

            Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
             These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night, for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the BULL done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

          This week's mantra.
              For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

          *    M A N T R A  #7 *
          Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
          Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
          Nun trete du mein Ahnen
          In deine Rechte kraftig ein
          Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
          Das in der Sinne Schein
          Sich selbst verlieren will.

          My Self, it threatens to fly out
          To World-Light mightily drawn.
          Now enter you, my foreboding,
          Into your rightful place forcefully,
          Restore for me Thinking's Might
          That in the Senses' Shine
          Would lose itself.

          The weaving of the Sun in the growth of the plants reveals the Divine
          working. The past few weeks we can feel that spiritual essence working as
          being like our souls spread out in external space. But now the spiritual
          force of the light becomes SO strong that we would dissolve into it--- so, a
          feeling of what is to come in the future grows in us to keep us from being
          only in this present moment, preventing thinking from losing itself totally
          in the senses.

                                              **********************************

          Sunday, May 16th.  Moon Taurus. Sarah. Suzanne.

          Monday, May 17th. Moon Taurus.   Bruno Magnus, Russian Apostle of the 11th century.

          Tuesday, May 18th. Moon Taurus. New Moon.  Isabella.

          Wednesday, May 19th. Moon Gemini. J.G. Fichte born 1762.

          Thursday, May 20th. Moon Gemini. Ascension. Columbus died 1506. John Stuart Mill born 1806.

          Friday, May 21st. Moon Cancer.  Albrecht Dürer born 1471.

          Saturday, May 22nd. Moon Cancer.
          Richard Wagner born 1813.

            Planets :  Brilliant Venus is seen in the West each night, appearing above the setting sun as the sky darkens, and staying up for about 1-2 hours after sunset. Dimmer, reddish Mars is above and to the left of it, and a little further up is yellowish Saturn---- all three quite close together in a row, underneath the stars of Gemini. Venus was approaching Mars, but has now turned back towards the Sun (retrograde) and will soon disappear as an "evening star." Mars is approaching Saturn and will conjunct it by the end of this week. The first thin crescent of the new Moon will be seen near Venus Thursday night, then close to Mars & Saturn Friday night.
              Jupiter is the brilliant white "star" that can be seen high in the South at sunset and for several hours afterwards, amongst the stars of the Lion.

          Dr. Starman

          www.DrStarman.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9 9:37 PM
            *******Sorry this week's mailing is late again.    -starman
            The "Calendar of the Soul"

              Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter.
               These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here is the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form.

               The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. Here' the symbolic image of the BULL in the original Soul-Calendar:

            This week's mantra.

            *    M A N T R A  #7 *
            Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
            Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
            Nun trete du mein Ahnen
            In deine Rechte kraftig ein
            Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
            Das in der Sinne Schein
            Sich selbst verlieren will.

            My Self, it threatens to fly out,
            To World-Light mightily drawn.
            Now enter you, my foreboding,
            Into your rightful place forcefully,
            Restore for me Thinking's Might
            That in the Senses' Shine
            Would lose itself.

            A partial interpretation:  The weaving of the Sun in the growth of the plants reveals the Divine working. The past few weeks we can feel that spiritual essence working as being like our souls spread out in external space. But now the spiritual force of the light is so strong that we would dissolve into it--- so a feeling of apprehension about what is to come in the future grows in us, to keep us from being only in this present moment, preventing thinking from losing itself totally in the beauty of the senses.

            Sunday, May 8th.  Moon Taurus. New Moon. The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.

            Monday, May 9th. Moon Gemini.  Schiller died 1805.

            Tuesday, May 10th. Moon Gemini.  Gordian.

            Wednesday, May 11th. Moon Cancer.  Otto von Guernicke (inventor of the air-pump) died 1686.

            Thursday, May 12th. Moon Cancer. Pancratius.

            Friday, May 13th. Moon Cancer.  Carl von Linne born 1707. Cuvier (the great natural scientist) died 1832.

            Saturday, May 14th. Moon Leo.   Boniface. Ludwig Bechstein died 1860.