Introduction

  • Dianne Young
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 1990
      Hi,
       I am very interested in learning more about R. Steiner and Anthroposophy.  I am particularly interested in concepts and methods of spiritual growth. My spiritual journey has been a challenging one so far and has led me beyond the traditional church.  It would be valuable for me if I could connect with some like-minded people.
      Sincerely,
      Dianne Y.     dmyoung@...
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2002

        *******Welcome, Dianne. This list has been very quiet lately, but I hope you will find some people here who can help you on your journey.
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 11, 2002
          ******Welcome to our little group, Julie. You are quite right about the studying the spiritual basis of Waldorf education; with so much of today's information can be absorbed with just the superficial intellect, this real spiritual knowledge has to be worked with. It's no problem if you take a page or a paragraph or even a single sentence at a time; what matters is to really absorb it by working with it, not how fast you go through it. Spiritual knowledge has to be lived.
              It's been a tradition here on our group to take a book and read it together all the 12 nights of Christmas, as many anthroposophical groups do. I hope we will do so again this Christmas. If we do, perhaps you'd like to participate, and even help to suggest what book we might take up. Let us know what kind of things you'd like to discuss here, since this list is like the Anthroposophical Society-- -- -- it doesn't exist to make people do what it wants you to do, but to serve you in what you want to do with it.

          Dr. Starman

          julie_b_h@... writes:
          I'd like to introduce myself (sorry if this gets long, there is a bit of self-discovery in this process)…My name is Julie.  I have been interested in Waldorf Education for about 6 months.  I was looking for ways to help my two mildly learning disabled and talented
          children.  At the time, I was working with both of them on rhythmic memory, spelling, and math drills. These drills seemed to awaken a part of their brain that had been dulled by too much information and not enough time to discover what it all means.
          About that time I found a mention of Waldorf Education on a website, and I started to investigate on my own.  I found a lot of wonderful articles about how Waldorf
          Education guides children by letting them develop their potential.  They use knitting, baking, woodcarving, and many other hands-on skills to develop
          perseverance and a sense of accomplishment in young children.  I felt very peaceful and less rushed when I was studying the Waldorf curriculum.  I began to
          wonder if this approach to education would be the best for my artistically gifted, melancholic, compassionate, but mathematically and spelling challenged daughter.

          Next, I discovered Dan Dugan and PLANS.  At first, I was put off by some of his criticisms, but slowly began to realize the shallowness of his arguments.  He was upset by any mention of God in any school.  There were others that were upset by any mention of the "wrong" God in any school.  They used obscure passages
          that were written by Steiner to "prove" that Waldorf Schools were racist or that they only taught medieval knowledge.  I was persuaded to investigate Waldorf further when a read a speech give by Eugene Schwartz at Sunbridge College that addressed many of the
          criticisms of Dugan.
          Since that time, I have read a couple of books.  The first was a collection of essays called "Waldorf Schools, Upper Grades and High School".  I am normally
          a fast reader, but it took me several months to read this book.  I would read an essay (or half and essay) and would have to stop to think about what I had just read, to absorb its meaning.  Sometimes it took days for the full meaning to sink in before I was ready for
          more.
          Now I am reading a book on the Temperaments that I picked up at the local Anthroposophical bookstore.  I was extremely impatient with this book at first.  I
          knew what I wanted to know from this book, but I just couldn't skim it and find what I was looking for.  So I actually sat down and read it.  Then I got to a passage about a painting of Christ that had Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John surrounding him and how the four
          temperaments was reflected in these four Apostles.  I was completely amazed.  I would never have been able to comprehend all the subtleties of meaning in that passage unless I had spent the time to actually read the book.  So much that of the information that we are expected to ingest for life in this modern world is "junk food" for the brain that deserves to be skimmed. The Anthroposophical works that I have come across
          deserve to be read.
               I am also reading a book by Georg Unger on "Forming Concepts in Physics".  That book I haven't been able to pick up for a month because I am still wrestling with the philosophical implications of Quantum Mechanics.  I should be able to get back to
          that one soon.
          I've been hanging out around Highland Hall and the local bookstore for a few months now and have been enjoying the conversation immensely.  We are planning on enrolling Gwen in the 9th grade at Highland Hall next fall and I am rounding up the resources and time that I need to start their teacher training in January.
          Have Fun,
          Julie

        • Ondria J. Wasem, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
            Hello,

            I've just joined. I teach at the Waldorf School of Princeton, I'm in the Waldorf High School teacher training program through the Center for Anthroposophy, and I'm a member of the Anthroposophical Society. I've also been a eurythmy accompanist. Prior to all of this, which started about 6 years ago, I was an engineer. I'm also a mom.

            Well, there's a start...
          • juancompostella
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
              --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Ondria J. Wasem, Ph.D." <ondria@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I've just joined. I teach at the Waldorf School of Princeton, I'm in the
              > Waldorf High School teacher training program through the Center for
              > Anthroposophy, and I'm a member of the Anthroposophical Society. I've also
              > been a eurythmy accompanist. Prior to all of this, which started about 6
              > years ago, I was an engineer. I'm also a mom.
              >
              > Well, there's a start...

              Hi Ondria. Would you say you feel a whole lot better since you started teaching? I also used to be in the so-called 'professional ranks' and was miserable. Health-wise, I was a disaster area, largely mental because I was working in that particular discipline as a rehab counselor for mental defectives. My symptoms were mental because of my profession, while yours were physical because of yours.

              So, it appears that we both got out of our symptoms, and found a better way. Spiritual Science is the key, and the better life is found.

              Regards,

              Juan
            • juancompostella
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
                --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Ondria J. Wasem, Ph.D." <ondria@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I've just joined. I teach at the Waldorf School of Princeton, I'm in the
                > Waldorf High School teacher training program through the Center for
                > Anthroposophy, and I'm a member of the Anthroposophical Society. I've also
                > been a eurythmy accompanist. Prior to all of this, which started about 6
                > years ago, I was an engineer. I'm also a mom.
                >
                > Well, there's a start...

                Watch out for the Waldorf_Critics, Ondria. They have a ph.d type like you, who loves to exclaim nonsense about what Steiner fans and admirers believe with their anthroposophy and waldorf education principles.

                Many of us stay away from the critics for the simple reason that they are opponents of the science of the spirit. I have been known to take them on in their opposition, which would never serve what you are looking for here.

                Starman told you where the quote came from, and yet you thank the very one that is your enemy, yet you don't know it yet. Is it because he gave the profound referential that Starman left out of account?

                That must be it, right? Yet Starman gave it as exactly as possible three days ago, and you wait to hear it from a scholar. Sad, because your scholar is an enemy; yes, an enemy of anthroposophy and waldorf, Ondry.

                It will only prove itself more the longer you partake with the scholar and his brood, known as the Waldorf_Critics.

                Juan
              • Ondria J. Wasem, Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Dear Starman,

                  I did truly appreciate your response, and continuing my google searching using a phrase from your response, I was finally able to find the exact reference, exactly the one that the guy on Waldorf_Critics later sent me. When I saw that Juan was so quick to respond to you with thanks, I was lax in letting you know that I too was grateful for the information. I have found everything I've received from you so far, zodiac images, Calendar of the Soul, etc, too be of value.

                  Dear Juan,

                  Thank you for looking out for me. After reading two posts, I determined that Waldorf_Critics is not the place for me. I sent my question there figuring that if the quote were not really from Steiner, they might be aware of the fallacy, even happy to expose it, and know of the correct source. The tone of the conversation, completely lacking in respect and empathy for the other, is so different from what I experience in Waldorf circles, that I knew I would not stay long. They did not even ask me to introduce myself. That group does not seem motivated to make connection, and I am private enough not to introduce myself when I am not asked. However, I give everyone a chance, and when my question was initially ignored by that group, I decided to stay a member a full week before quitting, in case someone might take up my question. When someone finally answered my question, I thanked him for his effort to respond, as nobody else had yet. When I put out a question in multiple places, I will always wait for responses from all, and be sure they are acknowledged (by someone if not me), even if they are duplicate responses or I had already figured it out for myself.

                  I do not tend to think in terms of enemies. People have their biographies, their wounds, their needs. Most people are trying to meet a need even when their strategy is to attack. It can be difficult to understand how their strategy even connects to their needs or feelings, especially when it is negative and destructive. Usually these negative strategies are counterproductive and the needs are never met, and the destruction continues, and that is sad. Perhaps I will eventually recognize an enemy there, but as you say, I do not know it yet.

                  Reading what is said on Waldorf-Critics about the lack of education at Waldorf Schools, which I know is not generally true for every student, I can sense where some of the wounds have come from. People forget to take responsibility for themselves and point fingers of blame at others. I know that many Waldorf Schools, ours included, does not have the resources required to meet all needs of every learning challenged student who would like to be there -- it would simply require more staff than we can support or more tuition than we will charge. I believe that it is the parents responsibility to see when something is not working for their child and make a change.

                  I meet my own needs by choosing whether to stay or go on these groups. That said, if I ever quit this group, it will be because of email overwhelm, not because of the quality. This email version of the Waldorf community seems to have exactly what I have enjoyed in that community. If I fall silent, I have probably fallen behind in keeping up on posts, or fallen behind somewhere else in my life.

                  Thank you so much for your concern, Juan. I hope that you will continue to check in with me.

                  Ondy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
> [...]
                    > that many Waldorf Schools, ours included, does not have the resources
                    > required to meet all needs of every learning challenged student who would
                    > like to be there -- it would simply require more staff than we can support
                    > or more tuition than we will charge. I believe that it is the parents
                    > responsibility to see when something is not working for their child and
                    > make a change.
                    >
                    > I meet my own needs by choosing whether to stay or go on these groups.
                    > That said, if I ever quit this group, it will be because of email
                    > overwhelm, not because of the quality. This email version of the Waldorf
                    > community seems to have exactly what I have enjoyed in that community. If
                    > I fall silent, I have probably fallen behind in keeping up on posts, or
                    > fallen behind somewhere else in my life.
                    >
                    > Thank you so much for your concern, Juan. I hope that you will continue to

                    I will. I like your candor, and your comments above are what the critics need to hear. Their group is completely biased against anthroposophy, which they use to smear Waldorf education in every way imaginable. On a rare occasion someone comes in to defend Waldorf with qualifications like yours, and this is especially important for them to hear. Yet, they take anything positive with a grain of salt against their assault.

                    I am one of the few, and likely the last to have consistently taken it to them in favor of Rudolf Steiner, Anthroposophy, and the validity of the Waldorf teacher training methods and schooling principles. I had thought at one time that more of us were working to defend all of this but when I looked around, no one was there.

                    I admit to doing a little googling myself in order to ascertain your genuineness, and was very glad to see that you are real; very real. The reason is that your name looks a little like a "troll name", and these are people who hide behind a false name in order to play mischief. Why, I don't know.

                    I looked over your enormous scientific references, and then saw an interesting description (very candid) of health-related issues, which made me think of what I have had to endure in my line of work in the past. I am much more relaxed and happy now that I can be a full-time student and proclaimer of the Science of the Spirit.

                    Thanks Ondy.

                    Juan
                  • juancompostella
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
                      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Ondria J. Wasem, Ph.D." <ondria@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Juan,
                      >
                      > Thank you for looking out for me. After reading two posts, I determined
                      > that Waldorf_Critics is not the place for me. I sent my question there
                      > figuring that if the quote were not really from Steiner, they might be
                      > aware of the fallacy, even happy to expose it, and know of the correct
                      > source. The tone of the conversation, completely lacking in respect and
                      > empathy for the other, is so different from what I experience in Waldorf
                      > circles, that I knew I would not stay long. They did not even ask me to
                      > introduce myself. That group does not seem motivated to make connection,
                      > and I am private enough not to introduce myself when I am not asked.
                      <snip>

                      Waldorf_Critics like to bite and chew their opponents, which is you, even as you demonstrate good-will, courtesy, professional ethics, knowledge/experience, ability, and so forth....

                      Diana was a meager teachers aide when her boy was in kindergarten at the Philadelphia Waldorf School. Then she put him in a quaker school, which means her experience is next to nil. She studies anthroposophy only to refute it in terms of a materialistic apprehension of the world and its beings. Her big passion is eagle watching and birthing ratios.

                      Peter S. seems to want anthroposophical discussion, but only as a ploy designed to imply that anthro's haven't the acumen for it. Yet, it can be shown that it has been given, offered, and even challenged for!

                      Yet, and this is important in terms of professional ethics, this guy is the biggest and most clever dissembler out there, who will take and twist words and name-drop to no end in a quest that can only be equated to a kind of "secular jesuitism", which is an old term for someone to watch out for when you're seeking and advocating truth; truth and knowledge towards wisdom.

                      Juan
                    • marla hanan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                        Hi. I am happy to have stumbled upon this group.

                        I am a mother to three boys, we have been part of a Waldorf school community for five years and before that I started my own.

                        We have now ventured out into the wider world of public school, but Steiner and Waldorf education still informs much of our life and it has been a great gift to study Steiner's work.

                        Thank you and with blessings.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                          Welcome to our group, Marla. Perhaps we could have a discussion about Waldorf Education here. We just had an interesting one on Steiner's philosophy.

                          -starman

                          www.DrStarman.com

                          To: steiner@yahoogroups.com