Calendar of the Soul, 1st Week (Easter)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. This week we begin
      with the first mantra, at Easter: here it is in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A #1 (EASTER) *
      Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
      Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
      Und Freude aus den Seelenteifen,
      Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
      Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hülle
      Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
      Und binden dumpf
      Des Menschen Wesen und des Geistes Sein.

      When out of the Wide World
      The Sun speaks to Man’s Senses
      And Joy out of Soul’s Depths
      Becomes one with Light in vision,
      Then is drawn from the Ego’s Sheath
      Thinking into farthest Worlds
      And joins, dimly,
      Man’s Essence and the Spirit’s Being.

      The dark time of Winter ends, the Sun returns. We are thus drawn out by
      our senses, to find our connection to the cosmos.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Pisces from
      Mar. 9th to Apr. 13th in our era. The symbolic image of the Fishes done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings. We're at work on
      a web site so we could send links that would always enable you to see it.

      Sunday March 31st. Moon Scorpio. The Prophet Amos. The Prophet Jeremiah.
      Newton died 1727. Bunsen born 1811.
      Monday April 1st. Moon Sagittarius. Hugo (11th cent. Guardian of the
      Cartesian Order).
      Tuesday April 2nd. Moon Sagittarius. Francis de Paul, founder of the order
      in the 15th century. Theodosia, martyr in 4th century. Charlemagne born 742.
      Morse died 1872.
      Wednesday April 3rd. Moon Capricorn. The 3rd of April 33 A.D. Is what
      spiritual-scientific investigation shows as the day of Death of Jesus Christ.
      Thursday April 4th. Moon Capricorn. Last Quarter. Bishop Ambrose died 398
      (he by whom Augustine was baptized). University of Basel founded 1460.
      Friday April 5th. Moon Aquarius. Vincentius (Christian writer, died 1264).
      Volta died 1827.
      Saturday April 6th. Moon Aquarius. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century.
      Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.