Algol

  • CLAUDIA T MORRELL
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2002
      Hello Everybody,

      Writing an article on the star "Rosh ha Satan," better known as Algol.
      Does anybody have a unique angle on this star, or know if Steiner has
      written anything that pertains to it? Any suggestions would be helpful.
      Many thanks.

      Mathew
      tma4cbt@...

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2002
        Hello Everybody,

        Writing an article on the star "Rosh ha Satan," better known as Algol.
        Does anybody have a unique angle on this star, or know if Steiner has
        written anything that pertains to it? Any suggestions would be helpful.
        Many thanks.

        Mathew
        tma4cbt@...

        *******Variable stars are bodies that are in a state our solar system went through already---one which Steiner called the 'Old Moon'. And it was in that state that we 'fell'---that is, a rebellion by certain beings above us then also corrupted us. Thus variable stars have always had an evil reputation.

        The similar evil reputation of comets comes because they are extrusions of our organic solar system's body which carry out certain astral influences.

        For anyone serious about following up just some of the multitudinous references of Steiner to renewing astrology, read "Anthroposophy and Astrology", the newly translated letters of Elzabeth Vreede. Then there's the work of Willi Sucher, the Mercury Star Journal, the astronomy books of Norman Davidson and the work of Robert Powell and others.

        Dr. Starman

        PS Is it just me or does "AlGhul" remind me of the VP who, thank heavens, lost?
      • mmorrell1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2002
          Dear Forum members,

          Last night I stepped outside and did a little star gazing before
          turning in. The night was cloudless, but the sky was not completely
          clear; a brisk spring shower had previously rolled over Kansas,
          leaving a faint, opaque haze near the horizon. With a glass of ice
          tea in one hand, and a pair of binoculars covering my eyes, my
          magnified trajectory of consciousness fell upon the eclipsing binary
          star, Algol (or Beta Persei), hovering in the constellation Perseus.
          My eyes told me it was a harmless pin-point of light suspended in
          outerspace, moreover a thing of beauty, that totally contradicted its
          evil reputation, and I gazed at it admiring its subtle blue-tint
          wavering in the haze.

          There are other "winking" stars in the cosmos, some visible
          to the naked eye, yet no star is maligned as Algol is maligned.
          Homer called it "a ghastly sight, deformed and dreadful, and a
          sight
          of woe." To Medieval Arabian astronomers, the term for Algol was
          Al
          Ra's al Ghul, meaning "The Demon's Head." Every 2.37
          days Algol mysteriously dims from a 2.1 magnitude brightness down to
          a 3.4, thus Algol seemed to blink, and was called a "winking
          demon."
          In fact, it is eclipsing.

          Algol is not one star, but two co-orbiting stars making up a binary
          system consisting in a blue, spectral class B8 (Algol 1) and a
          larger, older, but less bright K2 giant (Algol 2). Arabian armies
          made it a point to delay important battles until the star regained
          its brightness, because ill-fortune was thought to befall men during
          the eclipse, which lasts nearly ten hours. The eclipse occurs when
          Algol 2 orbits into the line of sight between Earth and Algol 1;
          then, from our reference point, the star dims into the orange-tinted
          shade of the K2 giant. The space between the K2 & the B8 is 10.4
          km., although a large space by human standards, close enough so where
          the decaying K2 giant is locked into an elliptical orbit and unable
          to escape the "sucking" gravitational field exerted by the
          B8. Connecting them is a Roche Lobe, which is a kind of cosmic
          umbilical cord. Through it flows hot, gaseous accretions that are
          stripped from Algol 2 and devoured by the young, vampiristic blue
          star absorbing the death and dying essence radiating from the K2
          giant, which is lessening in mass every moment that its gaseous
          accretions spill over into the Roche lobe, essentially feeding the
          ghoulish accumulating mass building up in Algol 1. There is a belief
          held by some in the occult: that ancient priest-astronomers were
          Initiates capable of immersing themselves psychologically inside the
          inner workings of a star, could pierce Algol spiritually by merely
          gazing at it, feel himself involved soulfully within its interacting
          forces. Deep in trance, and fully immersed in a vivid dream-life,
          the universe unravels itself symbolically like a great tableau of
          hieroglyphic images. The stars, thus seen, are no longer points of
          light. The myth-saturated Egypto-Chaldean man presents us with just
          such a Universe where stars were gods personified.

          Hallucinations, perhaps? Then consider the pictures with which
          cultures, the world over, use to represent Algol. They show an
          amazing uniformity. Greek star charts, for example, show Algol as a
          head writhing with lives snake, a head belonging to Medusa (a wicked
          Greek goddess) whose bluish white eyes, when looked upon, crystallize
          men into stone figures. For the Hebrew's, Algol was Rosh ha
          Satan, "the Head of Satan." The Chinese simply thought it
          was a thing of disgust. They gave Algol the macabre title Tseih She,
          "the Piled up Corpses." Either ancient man was uniformly
          schizophrenic and hallucinating `gods in stars,' or we are
          dealing
          with a mode of perception that modern man does not understand, or has
          somehow lost and now deigns false.

          May the First Cause be with you,
          MMORRELL
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2002

            *******If you work with the states of existence described in Occult Science, and then look at the findings of Astronomy in that light, binary stars can be seen to be in the 'Moon' state---and this is that in which the Fall of Man occurred. Hence their evil reputation.