    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the
      Moon's phase and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. This week's
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 4 6 *
      Die Welt, sie drohet zu betäuben
      Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;
      Nun trete du, Erinnerung,
      Und stärke mir das Schauen
      Das nur durch Willenskräfte
      Sich selbst erhalten kann.

      The World, it threatens to benumb
      The Soul’s inborn strength;
      Now tread you, Memory,
      Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening
      And make strong for me Vision,
      That only through Will-Strength
      Can preserve itself.

      This week's mantram:
      We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more
      sleep while the Earth awakens. Last week, the power of thinking united with
      what was born in us at Christmas & made clear to us all the early spring
      stirrings of new life in the external world, uniting with this "becoming" of
      Nature through joining our thinking to our perceptions. This week, this
      surging new life in the outer world would benumb our souls if the force of
      memory didn't come in to play its proper role of preserving the Vision the
      spirit had of what it wishes to create this year.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Aquarius
      from Feb. 9th to Mar. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of the Water-Man
      done from Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post.

      Sunday 2/24 Moon Leo. Matthias the Apostle, chosen in Judas’ place.
      Gutenberg died 1468.
      Monday 2/25 Moon Leo. Cellini died 1571.
      Tuesday 2/26 Moon Virgo. Full Moon. Jonas (the Prophet).
      Wednesday 2/27 Moon Virgo. Ernst Renan born 1823. Martialis (acted for the
      spreading of Christendom in Gallien in the 3rd century).

      Thursday 2/28 Moon Libra. Montaigne (the Skeptic) born 1533. Leander
      (Christian author).
      Friday 3/1 Moon Libra. Alcuin (teacher of Charlemagne, Christian author).
      399 before Christ Socrates takes the poison. Swidbertus (conveyor of
      Christendom to the Frisians).
      Saturday 3/2 Moon Scorpio. 321 A.D. The celebration of Sunday begins to
      become common.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

           Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from Feb. 9th to March 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the WATER-MAN done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.
             For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 6  *
        Die Welt, sie drohet zu betäuben
        Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;
        Nun trete du, Erinnerung,
        Aus Geistestiefen leuchtend auf
        Und stärke mir das Schauen
        Das nur durch Willenskräfte
        Sich selbst erhalten kann.

        The World, it threatens to benumb
        The Soul's inborn strength;
        Now tread you, Memory,
        Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening
        And make strong for me the Vision,
        That only through Will-Strength
        Itself can preserve.

             We are now heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. Last week, the power of thinking united with what was 'born' in us at Christmas, to make clear all the early spring stirrings of new life in the external world---we united with this "becoming" of Nature, as we THOUGHT about what we perceived. This week, this surging new life in the outer world would 'benumb' our souls if the force of MEMORY didn't come in to play its proper role, that of preserving our Vision, such as the one the spirit has had of what it wishes to create this year.

                                               **********************************

        Sunday,  February 29th. Moon Cancer.
        [ No notations, as there was no Leap Day in the original 'Soul-Calendar' year. ]

        Monday, March 1st. Moon Cancer.
        Alcuin (teacher of Charlemagne, Christian author).
        399 before Christ Socrates takes the poison.
        Swidbertus (conveyor of Christendom to the Frisians).

        Tuesday, March 2nd. Moon Cancer.
        321 A.D. The celebration of Sunday begins to become common.

        Wednesday, March 3rd. Moon Leo.
        Kunigunder (husband Heinrich I).

        Thursday, March 4th Moon Leo.
        Leopold van Buch, Geologist, died 1853.

        Friday, March 5th. Moon Virgo.
        Eusebius (Christian writer of Caesarea in the 4th c.),
        1512 Mercator the Cartographer born.
        1827 Laplace died.

        Saturday, March 6th. Moon Virgo. Full Moon.
        1274 Thomas Aquinas died.
        1475 Michelangelo born.
        1520 Australia was discovered.
        1787 Fraunhofer born.

          The Planets :  Brilliant Venus is visible in the West each night above the setting sun. It's an "evening star", along with reddish Mars above and to the left of it, which it is now approaching and which it will be close to all during March and April. Also an "evening star" is yellowish Saturn, which can be seen high in the south from sunset on, to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward to set with them shortly after midnight. The Moon can be seen near Saturn tonight, Feb. 29th, and will still be near it Mon. night. Mar. 1st.  Jupiter rises shortly after sunset, the bright "star" in the East, beneath the stars of the Lion. The Full Moon Friday and Saturday nights will appear very close to it.
             All these planets will be visible in the evening sky all throughout the spring.