    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the
      Moon's phase and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. This week's
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 4 2 *
      Es ist in diesem Winterdunkel
      Die offenbarung eigner krafte
      Der Seele starker Trieb,
      In Finsternisse sie zu lenken,
      Und ahnend vorzufühlen
      Durch Herzenswärme Sinnesoffenbarung.

      It is in this Winter-dimness
      The revealing of its own Strength
      The Soul’s strong Drive,
      In Darkness so to lead,
      And feeling full of presentiment
      Through Heart's Warmth, Senses' Revelation.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel how the power working
      in the foundation of the soul strove outward, so that divine forces could
      pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work. This
      week we feel the strong drive to continue unfolding this power, and this
      gives us within our hearts a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the
      coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the
      earth awakens.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus
      from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done
      from Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post.

      Sunday January 27th. Moon Cancer. John Chrysostom (Bishop to Constantinople,
      operated under Emperor Eudoxia, sharply censured him morally, burned 407).
      Mozart born 1756. Schelling born 1775. 1814 Fichte died. 1808 David Friedrich
      Strauss born.
      Monday January 28th. Moon Leo. Full Moon. Day of Remembrance of
      Charlemagne (died 814).
      Tuesday January 29th. Moon Leo. Constantine the Great (first Christian
      Roman Emperor, baptized shortly before his death in 312 A.D.). Theobald
      (advanced Christianity in England in the 13th century).
      Wednesday January 30th. Moon Virgo. Alexander.
      Thursday January 31st. Moon Virgo. Marcella. Petrus Nolascenus.
      Friday February 1st. Moon Libra. Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500.
      Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan
      torn apart by wild animals).
      Saturday February 2nd. Moon Libra. Mary’s Light-mass (Candlemas). Simeon
      (the old man. that according to the Evangelist recognized Jesus at his
      presentation in the Temple).

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

           Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.
             For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 2  *
        Es ist in diesem Winterdunkel
        Die offenbarung eigner krafte
        Der Seele starker Trieb,
        In Finsternisse sie zu lenken,
        Und ahnend vorzufühlen
        Durch Herzenswärme Sinnesoffenbarung.

        It is, in this Winter-dimness,
        The revealing of its own Strength
        The Soul's strong Drive,
        In Darkness so to lead,
        And feeling full of presentiment
        Through Heart's Warmth, the Senses' Revelation.

        Last week's verse, when worked with, could lead us to feel how the power working
        in the foundations of the soul strove outward, so that divine forces could
        pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work. This
        week, we can feel the strong drive to continue unfolding this power, and this
        gives us within our hearts a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the
        coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more "sleep" while the
        Earth "awakens."

        The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

        *  M A N T R A  # 1 7 *
        Es spricht das Weltenwort,
        Das ich durch Sinnestore
        In Seelengründen durfte führen:
        Erfülle deine Geistestiefen
        Mit meinen Weltenweiten,
        Zu finden einstens mich in dir.

        There speaks the World-Word,
        That I through the Senses' Gate
        Would let lead to Soul's Ground:
        "Fill your Spirit-Deeps
        With my World-Widenesses
        To find one day Me in you."

        The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
        and warmth, so strong that it dims down the Ego's thinking; then, from out of
        the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are to find our "selves" again in
        the World-Self. This week that world speaks to us through the senses' beauty
        which we take in to the soul's depths, saying that as we fill our "I" with
        the expanse of the world its very essence will become something permanently
        part of us.

                                               **********************************

        Sunday,  February 1st. Moon Cancer. Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500. Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan torn apart by wild animals).

        Monday,
        February 2nd. Moon Cancer. Mary's Light-mass (Candlemas). Simeon (the old man. that according to the Evangelist recognized Jesus at his presentation in the Temple).

        Tuesday,
        February 3rd. Moon Cancer. Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

        Wednesday,
        February 4th. Moon Leo. Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

        Thursday,  February 5th. Moon Leo. Full Moon.
        Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

        Friday,
        February 6th. Moon Virgo.  1807 Abolition of Slavery in England.

        Saturday,
        February 7th. Moon Virgo. 1446 Columbus born.

          Planets:  Brilliant Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night . Jupiter rises about midnight, beneath the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.