Theosophy 1C: The Spirit Nature of Man

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2002
      The Essential Nature of Man

      3. The Spiritual Nature of Man

      The soul nature of man is not determined by the body alone. Man does not
      wander aimlessly and without purpose from one sensation to another, nor does
      he act under the influence of every casual incitement that plays upon him
      either from without or through the processes of his body. He thinks about his
      perceptions and his acts. By thinking about his perceptions he gains
      knowledge of things. By thinking about his acts he introduces a reasonable
      coherence into his life. He knows that he will worthily fulfill his duty as a
      man only when he lets himself be guided by correct thoughts in knowing as
      well as in acting. The soul of man, therefore, is confronted by a twofold
      necessity. By the laws of the body it is governed by natural necessity. It
      allows itself also to be governed by the laws that guide it to exact thinking
      because it voluntarily acknowledges their necessity. Nature subjects man to
      the laws of changing matter, but he subjects himself to the laws of thought.
      By this means he makes himself a member of a higher order than the one to
      which he belongs through his body. This order is the spiritual. The spiritual
      is as different from the soul as the soul is from the body. As long as only
      the particles of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen that are in motion in
      the body are spoken of, we do not have the soul in view. Soul life begins
      only when within the motion of these particles the feeling arises, `I taste
      sweetness,” or, “I feel pleasure.” Likewise, we do not have the spirit in
      view as long as merely those soul experiences are considered that course
      through anyone who gives himself over entirely to the outer world and his
      bodily life. This soul life is rather the basis of the spiritual just as the
      body is the basis of the soul life. The biologist is concerned with the body,
      the investigator of the soul — the psychologist — with the soul, and the
      investigator of the spirit with the spirit. It is incumbent on those who
      would understand the nature of man by means of thinking, first to make clear
      to themselves through self-reflection the difference between body, soul and
      spirit.