PoF question

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2002
      I don't have an opinion on this yet, just a question: In the
      third chapter Steiner says he is being very careful not to
      presuppose the existence of a subject or "I" because he is
      focusing his investigation exclusively on the quality of
      thinking itself- "I" and "objects" are concepts which are
      results of thinking activity. I'm loving it. But I keep
      wondering if he really isn't assuming the existence of "I" at
      this point. When he says, "This then is indisputable, that
      in thinking we have got hold on one corner of the whole world
      process which requires OUR PRESENCE if anything is to
      happen."

      Is this "OUR PRESENCE" a concept which we have after we
      contemplate some percept? Am I right in assuming that at
      this point in the investigation Steiner is not wanting to
      talk about the presence of an "I" or anything else, just
      those characteristics of thinking which he is methodically
      going through at this stage of the text.

      I'm not trying to poke a hole in his arguments; I've come too
      far with this book and have too much respect for it to assume
      that it has holes like that, but I do wonder if he isn't
      presupposing "I" before he has established his
      characterizations of thinking...

      Carol

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/