Re: [steiner] PoF Ultimate Questions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2002
      While, yes, we have finished our Holy Nights study of PoF, I want to ask a question I have which comes from the last section "Ultimate Questions".
      I would like to know how you guys understand the use of a certain word in the 'author's addition' to this section.
      Middle of the fist paragraph:
      Steiner: "For were intuitive thinking to originate in
      anything other than itself, were its essence not
      self-sustaining, then the consciousness of freedom that flows from morality would prove to be a mere illusion."
      Please share with me your understanding of his use of
      morality in this sentence. And, for those of you who were with me in the study group, you know how much I love examples. So, I would extra-appreciate it if anybody would be willing to rewrite the above quote and substitute the word 'morality' with a phrase of some sort. pretty please

      *******I didn't forget your request, just was busy.

      Suppose that, as current prejudice has it, our ideas were just copies of what the body perceives, or were all dictated by experience in some other way (psychological, sociological, whatever). Then when we sought to act, a hopeless despair would fill us, as we would always fear that we were compelled to do what we were doing, that it wasn't really our real selves that were acting. We would not be choosing to do the right thing in freedom, because our consciousness would not be free in reality.

      "Were it not for sense-free thinking, the awareness of acting freely in the Light that flows from intuitively deciding what is Right each moment would not be real."

      Starman
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2002
        Again, again, again, Starman, I thank you for your comments.
        They really helped quite a bit and I appreciate you going
        back a few weeks. Thanks.

        Carol

        Carol wrote:

        > While, yes, we have finished our Holy Nights study of PoF,
        > I want to ask a question I have which comes from the last
        > section "Ultimate Questions".
        > I would like to know how you guys understand the use of a
        > certain word in the 'author's addition' to this section.
        > Middle of the fist paragraph:
        > Steiner: "For were intuitive thinking to originate in
        > anything other than itself, were its essence not
        > self-sustaining, then the consciousness of freedom that
        > flows from morality would prove to be a mere illusion."
        > Please share with me your understanding of his use of
        > morality in this sentence. And, for those of you who were
        > with me in the study group, you know how much I love
        > examples. So, I would extra-appreciate it if anybody would
        > be willing to rewrite the above quote and substitute the
        > word 'morality' with a phrase of some sort. pretty please
        >
        > *******I didn't forget your request, just was busy.
        >
        > Suppose that, as current prejudice has it, our ideas
        > were just copies of what the body perceives, or were all
        > dictated by experience in some other way (psychological,
        > sociological, whatever). Then when we sought to act, a
        > hopeless despair would fill us, as we would always fear
        > that we were compelled to do what we were doing, that it
        > wasn't really our real selves that were acting. We would
        > not be choosing to do the right thing in freedom, because
        > our consciousness would not be free in reality.
        >
        > "Were it not for sense-free thinking, the awareness of
        > acting freely in the Light that flows from intuitively
        > deciding what is Right each moment would not be real."
        >
        > Starman

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/