    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the
      Moon's phase and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. This week's
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 4 0 *
      Und bin ich in den Geistestiefen,
      Erfüllt in meinen Seelengrunden
      Aus herzens Liebewelten,
      Der Eigenheiten leerer Wahn
      Sich mit dem Weltenwortes Feuerkraft.

      And when I am in the Spirit-Deeps,
      Fulfilled in my Soul's Ground
      Out of Heart's Love-World
      The selfhood's empty illusion
      Is with the World-Word's Fire-Strength.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week's verse described how the power of thinking, which we do with
      the spirit, grew stronger and gave us the feeling of ourselves as a reality
      in the world. This week, this reality of selfhood, which would otherwise
      remain an illusion, is made real by the fiery power of the World-word,
      through Love.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus
      from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done
      from Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post.

      Sunday January 13th. Moon Capricornus. New Moon. Bernard of Clairveaux.
      Monday January 14th. Moon Capricornus. Reis, inventor of the telephone,
      died 1874.
      Tuesday January 15th.Moon Aquarius. Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of
      4th century.
      Wednesday January 16th. Moon Aquarius. Faustus (lived in Alexandria in 3rd
      century).
      Historical writer Gibbon died 1794.
      Thursday January 17th. Moon Aquarius. Benjamin Franklin born 1706.
      Friday January 18th. Moon Pisces. Montesquieu born 1689.
      Saturday January 19th. Moon Pisces. James Watt born 1736.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2004
        ******Sorry to be late with this week's Calendar mailing; I was travelling.

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

           Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.
             For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 0  *
        Und bin ich in den Geistestiefen,
        Erfüllt in meinen Seelengrunden
        Aus herzens Liebewelten,
        Der Eigenheiten leerer Wahn
        Sich mit dem Weltenwortes Feuerkraft.

        And when I am in the Spirit-Deeps,
        Fulfilled in my Soul's Ground
        Out of Heart's Love-World
        The selfhood's empty illusion
        Is with the World-Word's Fire-Strength.

          Last week we felt given over to the revelations coming from our inner Spirit to gain the experiencing of the Light that infuses the outer world, and the power of thinking (which we do with the spirit) gave us the feeling of ourselves as a reality in the world. This week, this reality of selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusion, is made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

        The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

        *  M A N T R A  # 1 5 *
        Ich fühle wie verzaubert
        Im Weltenschein des Geistes Weben
        Es hat in Sinnesdumpfheit
        Gehüllt mein Eigenwesen,
        Zu schenken mir die Kraft
        Die, ohnmächtig sich selbst zu geben,
        Mein Ich in seinen Schranken ist.

        I feel how enchanted
        Into World-Shining is the Spirit's Weaving:
        It has in Senses' Dimness
        Enclosed my Self-Essence
        To give me the Power:
        That, powerless myself to give
        My "I" in its boundaries is.

        The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
        and warmth; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are
        to find our "selves" again in the World-Self. This week the Spirit we
        experience through the beauty of the senses in the outer world has enwrapped
        itself around the Ego, which would otherwise be cut off from the world--- a
        "spell" cast over it which is unwrapped in wintertime.

                                               **********************************

        Sunday,  January 18th. Moon Sagittarius.  Montesquieu born 1689.

        Monday,   January  19th. Moon Capricorn.
        James Watt born 1736. Mary and Martha (the sisters of Lazarus in John's Gospel).

        Tuesday,   January  20th. Moon Capricorn. Sebastian.

        Wednesday,  January 21st. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.
        Eusebius.

        Thursday,  January 22nd. Moon Aquarius.
        Francis Bacon von Verulam born 1561. Lessing born 1729.  Byron born 1788.  Ampere born 1775.

        Friday,  January 23rd. Moon Pisces.
        Wedding Anniversary of Mary & Joseph.

        Saturday,  January 24th. Moon Pisces.
        Day of St. Timothy (School of Paul, stoned to death in Ephesus because of his preaching against the worship of Diana).

          Planets:  Brilliant Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night with them . Jupiter rises after midnight beneath the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2008

          Dr. Rudolf Steiner
          gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st to January 4th in our era.
          A version of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications, is attached to this e-mail.

           *  M A N T R A  # 4 0  *

          Und bin ich in den Geistestiefen,

          Erfüllt in meinen Seelengrunden

          Aus herzens Liebewelten,

          Der Eigenheiten leerer Wahn

          Sich mit dem Weltenwortes Feuerkraft.

          And when I am in the Spirit-Deeps,

          Fulfilled in my Soul's Ground

          Out of Heart's Love-World

          The selfhood's empty illusion

          Is with the World-Word's Fire-Strength.

          An interpretation:

            Last week we felt given over to the revelations coming from our inner Spirit to gain the experiencing of the Light that infuses the outer world, and the power of thinking (which we do with the spirit) gave us the feeling of ourselves as a reality in the world.

            This week, this reality of Selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusion, is made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

          THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, December 21st. Moon Scorpio.   Feast day of Thomas the "Doubting" Apostle.

          Monday, December 22nd. Moon Scorpio.  Theodosius.

          Tuesday, December 23rd. Moon Sagittarius.   Dagobert.

          Wednesday, December 24th. Moon Sagittarius. Adam and Eve. 1st of 13 days of Christmas.

          Thursday, December 25th. Moon Sagittarius. Birth of Jesus. Newton born 1642. Charlemagne crowned King in Rome 799.

          Friday, December 26th. Moon Capricorn. St. Stephen, the first Martyr.

          Saturday, December 27th Moon Capricorn. New Moon. Day of John, author of the Gospel. Kepler born 1571.

          PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

             VENUS is the bright white 'star' in the southwest every night at sunset. SATURN can be seen amongst the stars of the Lion in the East after midnight.

          Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how