Spiritual Activity

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      DRSteiner in Ch. 8 writes:

      << Among the levels of characterological disposition, we have shown the one
      which acts as pure thinking, as practical reason, to be the highest. From the
      motives, we have now shown conceptual intuition to be the highest. On closer
      consideration, it will soon be seen that at this level of morality driving
      force and motive COINCIDE, that is, neither a predetermined characterological
      disposition nor an external moral principle accepted on authority, influences
      our conduct. The deed therefore is neither a conventional one, carried out
      according to some rule or other, nor one automatically performed in response
      to an external impulse; rather it is one which is determined solely through
      its ideal content.
      Such conduct presupposes the capacity for moral intuition. Whoever lacks the
      ability to experience the moral principle that applies in a particular
      instance, will never achieve truly individual willing. >>

      *******So when a pure idea is made into a motive, it itself and not one's
      disposition, is what acts. One obeys neither inner nor external compulsion to
      act.