Re: [steiner] The Human Will

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Dr. Starman wrote:
      > *******So in willing any action, there is the thing we take as the
      momentary
      > motive for doing it, which can be an idea, an image, a feeling, or what
      not.
      > Then deeper than that is our characterological make-up which inclines us to
      > favorably respond to one image or another, our "temperament."

      Dr. Starman, here I go looking for examples again (In Steiner's next
      incarnation he'll have to rewrite the book 'for dummies' and gives lots of
      examples for people like me) So, Dr. Starman, or anybody else willing, I'm
      sure you know all about the daily will exercise in which we pick an arbitrary
      action and do it day after day. Could you take me slow motion through one of
      these (say, bending down and touching the floor three times everyday at
      noon)using the concepts of 'representation', 'motive', 'characterlogical
      disposition'...? Thanks...
      Carol >>

      *******Hey, 'Anthroposophy For Dummies' isn't a bad idea at all. We're
      supposed to stay humble, and from my experience we all could do with reading
      such a book! (But there already is an anthroposophy for dummies in the
      lectures to the workmen.)

      Well, if you make a picture to yourself of doing an exercise---say,
      meditating at noon or exercising with a dumbbell at 3 or whatever---that's
      the mental image or representation you're making: which you make your MOTIVE
      when you take that image as a reason to ACT.
      What type of action you'll choose will be influenced by your
      disposition---so if you're an active person you'll more likely choose an
      exercise like your example, or lifting weights in mine; while if your
      temperament inclines you more to passivity then you might more easily choose
      meditating as something to do.
      Also the phlegmatic temperament willl find it easier to do something at
      the same time each day, where it will be harder for, for instance, the
      sanguines.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:21:24 AM, softabyss@... writes:

        << Do you think it is fair to say that we can not intuit
        representations, only concepts, so that representations are
        always the RESULTS of intuitions?

        Carol >>

        *******I'd say absolutely. We draw concepts from the ideal world by
        'intuition', Steiner writes. 'Representations' or mental images we make by
        connecting these concepts we've drawn by intuition TO perceptions the body
        gives us. A representation or 'thought-image' (as opposed to actual
        thinking) is, better put, the RESULT of a concept being connected to a
        perception (or many perceptions). It's a middle entity between concept and
        perception.

        Starman
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          Well, I see that there is a new book out called "Rudolf
          Steiner for Beginners"...

          And thanks for the examples; they helped me make some clearer
          distinctions.

          http://greetings.yahoo.com