Re: [steiner] The Human Will

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
      Do you think it is fair to say that we can not intuit
      representations, only concepts, so that representations are
      always the RESULTS of intuitions?

      Carol

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Dr. Starman wrote:
        > *******So in willing any action, there is the thing we take as the
        momentary
        > motive for doing it, which can be an idea, an image, a feeling, or what
        not.
        > Then deeper than that is our characterological make-up which inclines us to
        > favorably respond to one image or another, our "temperament."

        Dr. Starman, here I go looking for examples again (In Steiner's next
        incarnation he'll have to rewrite the book 'for dummies' and gives lots of
        examples for people like me) So, Dr. Starman, or anybody else willing, I'm
        sure you know all about the daily will exercise in which we pick an arbitrary
        action and do it day after day. Could you take me slow motion through one of
        these (say, bending down and touching the floor three times everyday at
        noon)using the concepts of 'representation', 'motive', 'characterlogical
        disposition'...? Thanks...
        Carol >>

        *******Hey, 'Anthroposophy For Dummies' isn't a bad idea at all. We're
        supposed to stay humble, and from my experience we all could do with reading
        such a book! (But there already is an anthroposophy for dummies in the
        lectures to the workmen.)

        Well, if you make a picture to yourself of doing an exercise---say,
        meditating at noon or exercising with a dumbbell at 3 or whatever---that's
        the mental image or representation you're making: which you make your MOTIVE
        when you take that image as a reason to ACT.
        What type of action you'll choose will be influenced by your
        disposition---so if you're an active person you'll more likely choose an
        exercise like your example, or lifting weights in mine; while if your
        temperament inclines you more to passivity then you might more easily choose
        meditating as something to do.
        Also the phlegmatic temperament willl find it easier to do something at
        the same time each day, where it will be harder for, for instance, the
        sanguines.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:21:24 AM, softabyss@... writes:

          << Do you think it is fair to say that we can not intuit
          representations, only concepts, so that representations are
          always the RESULTS of intuitions?

          Carol >>

          *******I'd say absolutely. We draw concepts from the ideal world by
          'intuition', Steiner writes. 'Representations' or mental images we make by
          connecting these concepts we've drawn by intuition TO perceptions the body
          gives us. A representation or 'thought-image' (as opposed to actual
          thinking) is, better put, the RESULT of a concept being connected to a
          perception (or many perceptions). It's a middle entity between concept and
          perception.

          Starman
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
            Well, I see that there is a new book out called "Rudolf
            Steiner for Beginners"...

            And thanks for the examples; they helped me make some clearer
            distinctions.

            http://greetings.yahoo.com