Re: [steiner] The Human Will

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
      Dr. Starman wrote:

      > *******So in willing any action, there is the thing we take
      > as the momentary
      > motive for doing it, which can be an idea, an image, a
      > feeling, or what not.
      > Then deeper than that is our characterological make-up
      > which inclines us to
      > favorably respond to one image or another, our
      > "temperament."

      Dr. Starman, here I go looking for examples again (In
      Steiner's next incarnation he'll have to rewrite the book
      'for dummies' and gives lots of examples for people like me)

      So, Dr. Starman, or anybody else willing, I'm sure you know
      all about the daily will exercise in which we pick an
      arbitrary action and do it day after day. Could you take me
      slow motion through one of these (say, bending down and
      touching the floor three times everyday at noon)using the
      concepts of 'representation', 'motive', 'characterlogical
      disposition'...? Thanks...

      Carol

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
        Do you think it is fair to say that we can not intuit
        representations, only concepts, so that representations are
        always the RESULTS of intuitions?

        Carol

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          Dr. Starman wrote:
          > *******So in willing any action, there is the thing we take as the
          momentary
          > motive for doing it, which can be an idea, an image, a feeling, or what
          not.
          > Then deeper than that is our characterological make-up which inclines us to
          > favorably respond to one image or another, our "temperament."

          Dr. Starman, here I go looking for examples again (In Steiner's next
          incarnation he'll have to rewrite the book 'for dummies' and gives lots of
          examples for people like me) So, Dr. Starman, or anybody else willing, I'm
          sure you know all about the daily will exercise in which we pick an arbitrary
          action and do it day after day. Could you take me slow motion through one of
          these (say, bending down and touching the floor three times everyday at
          noon)using the concepts of 'representation', 'motive', 'characterlogical
          disposition'...? Thanks...
          Carol >>

          *******Hey, 'Anthroposophy For Dummies' isn't a bad idea at all. We're
          supposed to stay humble, and from my experience we all could do with reading
          such a book! (But there already is an anthroposophy for dummies in the
          lectures to the workmen.)

          Well, if you make a picture to yourself of doing an exercise---say,
          meditating at noon or exercising with a dumbbell at 3 or whatever---that's
          the mental image or representation you're making: which you make your MOTIVE
          when you take that image as a reason to ACT.
          What type of action you'll choose will be influenced by your
          disposition---so if you're an active person you'll more likely choose an
          exercise like your example, or lifting weights in mine; while if your
          temperament inclines you more to passivity then you might more easily choose
          meditating as something to do.
          Also the phlegmatic temperament willl find it easier to do something at
          the same time each day, where it will be harder for, for instance, the
          sanguines.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
            In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:21:24 AM, softabyss@... writes:

            << Do you think it is fair to say that we can not intuit
            representations, only concepts, so that representations are
            always the RESULTS of intuitions?

            Carol >>

            *******I'd say absolutely. We draw concepts from the ideal world by
            'intuition', Steiner writes. 'Representations' or mental images we make by
            connecting these concepts we've drawn by intuition TO perceptions the body
            gives us. A representation or 'thought-image' (as opposed to actual
            thinking) is, better put, the RESULT of a concept being connected to a
            perception (or many perceptions). It's a middle entity between concept and
            perception.

            Starman
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
              Well, I see that there is a new book out called "Rudolf
              Steiner for Beginners"...

              And thanks for the examples; they helped me make some clearer
              distinctions.

              http://greetings.yahoo.com