Re: [steiner] Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, Ch. 7

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2001
      softabyss@... writes:
      << Thanks for that summary, Dr Starman. I see that Steiner has established
      that there is no knowledge barrier to our being free beings, but I didn't
      think that we had yet established that we are, in fact, that.
      From my reading, at the end of chapter 7 we have answered the first question
      posed in the preface; we have established that, yes, there is a
      self-supporting foundation for knowledge through which we can know the world.
      But now we go on to actually begin examining the nature of our motives so
      that we may answer the second question of the preface: are we entitled to
      call ourselves free beings...
      This is not an argument on my part because I assume there is something for me
      to learn. I just wanted to state why part of your summary struck me
      interestingly.
      Thanks,
      Carol >>

      *******You're right; I got a bit ahead of the book. We've demonstrated that
      there are no limits to knowing---which means the argument against free will
      in the first chapter doesn't hold; but the experience of oneself as a free
      being is not yet begun.