Thinking about Thinking in Relation to Elf and Starman Discussion

  • jackstrange11
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26 7:15 PM
      I believe that the chaotic, cloudy thinking that is opposite of
      Buddha mind as stated by Elf is thinking that is unconscious of
      itself. The observer is conscious of objects, ideas that enter from
      the outside, and feelings but is not conscious of his own thinking.
      Thinking is a spiritual path, an initiation, when we think about
      We may momentarily glimpse higher states of consciousness, but such
      states can not be permanently achieved without making our thinking an
      object of our observation.
      Steiner states in Chap 3:

      "When thinking is made the object of observation, to the rest
      of the elements to be observed is added something which usually
      escapes attention; but the manner in which the other things are
      approached by man is not altered. One increases the number of
      observed objects, but not the number of methods of observation. While
      we are observing the other things, there mingles in the universal
      process, in which I now include observation, one process which is
      overlooked. Something different from all other processes is present,
      but is not noticed. But when I observe my thinking, no such unnoticed
      element is present. For what now hovers in the background is, again,
      nothing but thinking. The observed object is qualitatively the same
      as the activity directed upon it. And that is another characteristic
      feature of thinking. When we observe it, we do not find ourselves
      compelled to do so with the help of something qualitatively
      different, but can remain within the same element."

      So when we observe thinking, the unknown element, thinking, no
      longer lies in the background. The unconscious background element
      becomes identical to the object. Although Steiner uses the
      term "object" as a familiar term of observation, I think that he has
      already transcended the subject-object dichotomy because when we
      examine thinking the object arises out of ourselves. Thinking about
      thinking is an expansion of the "I" where it permeates world content
      as opposed to the I being set up against a separate world.

      Later Steiner says that when we examine thinking, we create the
      object; since this "thinking object" is created from our own
      substance, then examining thinking must be a path to self knowledge--
      this reconciles Elf and Starman-we start with unexamined thinking--
      the cloudy and chaotic and move toward seeing thinking which reveals
      the" gaps in the thoughts"--that is why observing our own thinking is
      a "spiritual activity", a form of initiation.

      Further on Steiner says:"This, then, is beyond doubt: In thinking we
      are grasping a corner of the universal process, where our presence is
      required if anything is to come about."--ie, in examining thinking,
      our own thinking, universal processes are revealed and we as
      individual thinking egos are necessary to the the unfoldment of the
      macrocosm. Thinking is not just a means to observation, but it is an
      active process of universal creation.