Re: [steiner] new joiner

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000

      <<Hello moderator,
      this is to briefly introduce myself, but first I need to ask a question: does
      "paid-up member" signify someone who works for the AS and is consequently
      paid?
      Forgive my ignorance, English is my third language and sometimes I still
      don't get some meanings. Because as it were, I am a member of the AS in
      Britain, but I don't work for them, so please let me know my position in
      relation to this group.
      About me, I became a member some years ago when I found out that that was the
      prerequisite in order to attend the first class... I might define myself as a
      researcher in spiritual matters and Steiner philosophy is the one for me
      since about seven years. One day I was in a public library in London and was
      looking for books on afterlife because my best friend had just died, when
      this book literally fell off the shelves; I picked it up, it was "From death
      to rebirth" or something like that. From that book I discovered so many
      things which sounded as if I had
      known them before, they made sense.
      I have read a lot since and I am also a great fan of Waldorf Education, I
      mean the pedagogy, not the schools themselves nowadays.
      Please let me know if I can stay in this group.
      Regards,
      Gisele.>>

      Just let them try to take you off. I'll sic Tom Mellett on the moderator.

      But seriously, does it say somewhere that you have to be a paid-up member to
      join? How could anyone tell? Do we have to get a letter from Eric Winter (the
      Treasurer of the US Society)?

      Dr. Starman
    • Gisele Deibeck
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
        ~~~Hi Doc, how are you?
        Perhaps I didn't express myself properly:
        in the message from the moderator of THIS list
        (Steiner), I read that "paid-up" (again, what does it
        mean?) members of the AS cannot join This list. In
        fact, if you look in this list archive, you'll find:

        From: mossmccarthy <mossmccarthy@o...>
        Date: Sat Aug 26, 2000 10:16am
        Subject: re: subscribing

        Just read the welcome message from the moderator, I
        assume this is automated, and realise that I am not
        qualified to join as I am a paid up member of the AS
        in GB! With apologies I withdraw.

        Best Wishes to All
        Moss

        ~~~...when I received the same kind of welcome message
        I started wondering... as you can see it means you
        must NOT be a paid-up member to stay on this list,
        which goes back to my original question.
        Now I am even thinking: could it mean 'AS fee-paying
        members' ? In that case, I am not paying anything to
        the AS because sure enough I am one of their poorest
        members (financially), and anyway I am getting tired
        about all the fuss about being members and the way the
        AS behaves and the statutes etc etc etc, which makes
        me think more and more about leaving the AS and start
        living Anthroposophy. In truth
        Gisele

        > Just let them try to take you off. I'll sic Tom
        > Mellett on the moderator.
        >
        > But seriously, does it say somewhere that you have
        > to be a paid-up member to
        > join? How could anyone tell? Do we have to get a
        > letter from Eric Winter (the
        > Treasurer of the US Society)?
        >
        > Dr. Starman

      • Sena Fernando
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
          Hi Dr,Starman,
          "I'll sic Tom Mellett on the moderator." - Is that a threat?
          Best wishes,
          Sena