new joiner

  • Gisele Deibeck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hello moderator,
      this is to briefly introduce myself, but first I need
      to ask a question: does "paid-up member" signify
      someone who works for the AS and is consequently paid?
      Forgive my ignorance, English is my third language and
      sometimes I still don't get some meanings.
      Because as it were, I am a member of the AS in
      Britain, but I don't work for them, so please let me
      know my position in relation to this group.
      About me, I became a member some years ago when I
      found out that that was the prerequisite in order to
      attend the first class... I might define myself as a
      researcher in spiritual matters and Steiner philosophy
      is the one for me since about seven years.
      One day I was in a public library in London and was
      looking for books on afterlife because my best friend
      had just died, when this book literally fell off the
      shelves; I picked it up, it was "From death to
      rebirth" or something like that. From that book I
      discovered so many things which sounded as if I had
      known them before, they made sense.
      I have read a lot since and I am also a great fan of
      Waldorf Education, I mean the pedagogy, not the
      schools themselves nowadays.

      Please let me know if I can stay in this group.

      Regards,
      Gisele.

    • Sena Fernando
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        Thanks for your message, Gisele, and I want to assure you that you
        are very welcome here.

        When I set up the group it was for for people who had read something
        of Steiner, felt there was something good there, but did not want to
        be forced to accept some dogmatic interpretation of his works. I now
        realize the welcome message is rather off-putting, and I have amended
        it to read, " for those interested in Steiner, but not necessarily
        paid-up members of the Anthroposophical Society".

        It is typical of organizations like the AS that they make you join up
        before you can attend the first class. I would have thought the more
        reasonable approach would be to teach someone about Steiner, then
        give them the option of joining.

        The part of Steiner's teaching which most appeals to me is his
        account of what happens after death in the Spiritual World, and how
        the Soul then makes the decision to return to the next earth life. Is
        the book you are referring to :"Life, Death, Birth, and
        Reincarnation" ? This is out-of-print, and the English version is
        very difficult to get hold of. If you still have it with you it would
        be great if you could share with us some of the important points in
        it.
        I look forward to hearing from you.
        Sena
        http://www.esotericlinks.com